Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

CO_MTN_GRL Photo Thread

7K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
Well, as a lot of you know, I enjoy sharing my photos of the adventures I have in my RAV. I decided to start this thread so that I can post my photos in one place.

Today, we went on the Switzerland Trail up in Boulder County. It was a bit too rough for my tastes but the scenery was great!

[/url]IMG_3068 by Samantha Rose, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_3090 by Samantha Rose, on Flickr[/IMG]

See less See more
Reactions: JuneBug
#2 ·
Again, nice pics! Looking forward to more. When I blow them up the close foregrounds become blurred while the rest is still clear - is that because of an exposure or an f-stop setting, or do you think that it has something to do with the upload resolution? My display is at max. resolution, 1080x1920. The bent-trunk dead tree in the second photo also is very interesting.

Reactions: co_mtn_grl
#3 ·
I'm not seeing that here, Jim. When I click on the panoramas to enlarge on Flickr, they are sharp front to back with excellent depth of field. I am also running at 1920X1080.

#6 ·
Alrighty, here are some more photos. These are from Peru Creek trail near Keystone. Beautiful drive!

[/url]Untitled by Samantha Rose, on Flickr[/IMG]

This one is good except for the overexposed clouds. Ooops.
[/url] by Samantha Rose, on Flickr[/IMG]

For my 4.4 brethren :)

Here, the small ribbon running from left to right in the photo is Peru Creek trail

#11 ·
Hmmm, that's strange. I will check the settings on my flickr account.

Great pics again, and of beautiful landscapes! Do you use a lens filter? Have you gone up the mountain trail shown in pics 4 and 8, or is it climbable with your V6 RAV? As usual, your photos could go well on a Colorado landscape calendar.:wink
Thank you! All of my photos are taken with my iPhone 6. I have taken the iPhone Photography and Photo Editing course so I'm getting better at mastering mobile photography :)

The trails I was on in photos 4 and 8 would have been easily driven in my RAV, but they were blocked by boulders and open to hiking only.

Thanks for the great photos. Very much appreciated.
Those are the kind of roads I like - but not in Winter.

Are the panos done using stitching or perhaps a Widelux?
FWIW, I do a lot of very wide work with cameras
I make or buy, mostly MF and LF.
All iPhone 6 :)

Holy mackerel, awesome pics!

I may have to move... :)

Did you take the Toyota badge off the grille and the hubcaps off?

Thank you! I actually plasti-dipped all badges and my center-caps black :) I recently peeled the plasti-dip from the Toyota emblems on the center-caps, so they look pretty cool now. I think I might remove the plasti-dip from the front Toyota emblem since it just fades into the black grill. I think it would still look good with my black and silver theme :)

#8 ·
Great pics again, and of beautiful landscapes! Do you use a lens filter? Have you gone up the mountain trail shown in pics 4 and 8, or is it climbable with your V6 RAV? As usual, your photos could go well on a Colorado landscape calendar.:wink

#9 ·
Thanks for the great photos. Very much appreciated.
Those are the kind of roads I like - but not in Winter.

Are the panos done using stitching or perhaps a Widelux?
FWIW, I do a lot of very wide work with cameras
I make or buy, mostly MF and LF.

#12 ·
#13 ·
These are from Weston Pass from last weekend. The west side of the trail was rougher since the last time I drove it (2011). There were sections of large ruts and dips where water and washed away parts of the trail. There were also some fairly large embedded rocks.

Reactions: pico
#14 ·
Wow! Great pics again, and with a phone camera! When were the shots taken in Rocky Mountain National Park taken and about what is the altitude- there's a fair amount of snow. Also, how is it that your RAV always is so clean even when off-roading - do you have a secret car wash stashed someplace up there?:smile

#15 ·
Thank you Blogson! The RMNP photos were taken June 26th of this year, the snow generally stays up there year round. They were taken from Trail Ridge Road, which tops out at 12,183 feet above sea level. I think it has even snowed up there in July!

I use Wet Paint glaze on the RAV, so she's always pretty shiny. It also helps that she's silver :D

Here is the snow along Trail Ridge Road. It can get quite a bit deeper/higher than this

#17 ·
Alrighty folks, I went on another adventure this weekend, this time up Jones Pass. This is an easy 4X4 trail that climbs to over 12,000 feet. It was a bit rainy yesterday so it made for some dramatic views of low hanging clouds.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get all the way to the top due to snow blocking a portion of the trail (and I was too chicken to try and squeeze by).

Wildflowers along the trail

Trail above timberline

This is where we turned around. I only had 1/4 tank of gas or I might have tried it.

I was actually able to make it up this section of a switchback, which impressed me. Maybe I just don't know my RAV's capabilities

RAV on the trail

Panorama

Tall trees

Almost driving through the clouds

Lush

A field of Indian Paintbrush

There were sections of this trail that were steep and the RAV was definitely challenged due to not enough torque, I believe? I can see why low range is needed on more advanced trails.

#22 ·
Alrighty folks, I went on another adventure this weekend, this time up Jones Pass. This is an easy 4X4 trail that climbs to over 12,000 feet. It was a bit rainy yesterday so it made for some dramatic views of low hanging clouds.

There were sections of this trail that were steep and the RAV was definitely challenged due to not enough torque, I believe? I can see why low range is needed on more advanced trails.

Great pics again! But I'm somewhat surprised that since you have a 4WD V6 it apparently had an engine power shortage on some trails even though apparently at 12,000 feet. Mine has done well at 11,000+ feet and on a relatively steep grade, but that was on a paved road. Were you still climbing steeply at the 12,000 foot altitude?

#19 ·
Beautiful photos, but when I click to view them full size, Flikr says they're private. :-( Also, how is it your RAV looks so clean when you're driving on dirt roads?

#20 ·
Thanks JuneBug! I changed the privacy settings, so maybe they can be viewed full size now.

I use Wet Paint Glaze on the RAV so she's usually pretty shiny :) Plus, silver doesn't show dirt quite as much as a darker color would.

Reactions: JuneBug
#28 ·
Thank you!!! It's almost impossible to take a bad photo here :)

#29 ·
#33 ·
You are correct sir! I love Wet Paint, it's so easy to use and the results are great :D

#40 ·
#36 ·
Visited CO_MTN_GRL land

Just got back from our 3,925 mile trip to/from Colorado for hiking in the high mountains for two weeks. So here are some pics of my RAV and my hiking pals in the Jeep Cherokee.

The roads to the hiking trail-heads were a real challenge, miles and miles of rock, stone, humps, ditches and dust! And these were NOT the 4WD rated roads. We stayed for a week in Ouray, then 8 days in Lake City to hike the San Juan mountain range.

We had to ford one nasty looking stream to get to one trail-head, the stream was about 30 ft wide and 6-8 inches deep and the entrance and exit was really steep. I just turned on 4wd lock and rolled slowly in, it felt like I drove into a hole and was immediately shocked at how much forward momentum I immediately lost! I had to add a lot of power to push through the deep water then up the hill.....very nerve-racking to say the least.

Tom

#38 ·
The guy in the Jeep in the pictures led us to the trail-heads so I don't know the names of the roads. We hiked these trails while staying in Ouray: Ouray Perimeter trail, Wetterhorn Basin, Minnie Gulch, Highland Mary Lakes and Ice Lakes. Sometimes we drove a long way to get to a named trail-head. You can google these trail-head names for road details.

Tom

#39 ·
Thanks for the info!!

We started Ice Lakes in June and got to just after where the trail crosses the meadow below the cliffs and re-enters the trees to switchback up to the lower lake--it was snowed in at that point and we saw a bit of ice tumbling down a nearby avalanche chute.

Good to know you were able to do the Minnie Gulch area in your RAV! That's one I've been considering for a future trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.