Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Looking for best Model year to replace my 4.1 Rav4

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dasher 
#1 ·
Fellow Ravers,

Alas, The time is nearing for me to replace my 1997 Rav4 as it has 295,000 plus miles on it (all original equip.) She still runs well enough. Yet, I must admit I have never run a car so long or so many miles. I am a bit nervous. I bought her in 2003 with about 85,000 miles. I figure it best to shop for a newer Rav on my terms rather than be in a sudden predicament of not having any car and needing one quickly. Besides, I think it is time to enjoy some of the amenities now available in the newer model years...Like a CUP HOLDER!!! :D

I'm sure there are many varying opinions about the generations and years. I'm thinking most in the 4.2 and 4.3 era. But I am open to all opinions. Of course I am looking for similar longevity. I presume some model years have been inherently better than others.

*I have searched for a similar thread as I would presume some of this has been hashed out before, but I found none. Apologies if I used the wrong search criteria and would also be grateful for a pointing to a better thread.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Kind Regards,

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have an idea of how much money you are willing to part with? I'm prejudiced because I like my '11 RAV V6 Base model with the Value Upgrade Package (alloys, privacy rear glass, upgraded sound system, DRLs, upgraded upholstery and floor mats, color keyed door exterior door handles, sunroof, etc.) - and it has cup holders . . .. plus the towing prep package, or maybe you would like to have a current year model. You probably will get as many different recommendations as there are responders to your inquiry!:smile

#6 ·
My 2003 has 4 cupholders. I've been contemplating when my rav dies what to purchase and it will be another 4.2. Most likely a 2005 as it's slightly updated but I am very happy with the 2003. There are so many 4.2 years around here with very low mileage to choose from.

I would never get a Rav without AWD due to my heavy use of backroads.

That being said if you car is still being good to you just keep it!

#9 ·
Personally I am holding out for the 2036 Limited with the multi-fuel turbocharged V-6, 6 wheel drive, and the Amphibious performance package.

Only had my RAV 4.1 a few months, but I am really loving this little trucklet, the kids have too much fun when I drive on a heavily washboarded dirt road, you should hear how loud my little girl laughs and the disappointment from my sons when we get back on pavement. how do the later versions compare to the original version? I really like the small, utilitarian version of the SUV as opposed to the pimped out luxury vehicles that were never meant to do a decent days work. What I would really like to see is a return to the original Suburban concept, a 4-wd full sized station wagon that can handle just about any Forest Service road in the country, either that or a fully restored C15-TA (WW2 Canadian 3/4 ton armored truck based on a Chevy truck chassis) could definitely grace my driveway if I had the money to spare.

Rob in muggy Arizona

#11 ·
Handle "just about any Forest Service road in the country"? I think you've left out something. Have you tried Manhattan (not Kansas) streets? They lack even a foot of smooth pavement, are riddled with massive, thick, jutting steel plates, extraordinarily deep pot holes, bumps, cracked asphalt, deteriorated concrete, Jersey barriers, etc., etc. How about Brooklyn for thrills and spills? Queens maybe? There's not much in the way of mud but some of the deeper potholes get filled with dirty water in heavy rain storms. The FDR (East Side Highway) gets flooded on a regular basis. All things considered I'd say NYC offers some pretty serious "off-road" driving experiences.

My Tundra handles all of that pretty well. Hummers are probably somewhat better but they lack Toyota build quality and would likely start to fall apart in short order. That said, my '11 V6 Ltd. with Sachs struts/shocks, thank you very much, does quite well indeed. I suppose if you wanted to drive over fallen trees you might want a lift kit. Otherwise the 4.3 should perform very well.
:D

#12 ·
Thanks All,

Sorry I'm late checking in. I have been unconnected for a time.

Just a few questions. RTexasF: Why a 2012?

Others, I've noted Consumer Reports shows 2009 + better reliability used. That may just be cuz they anticipate more maintennance on a used car older than 6 yrs. I'm leaning towards an 08 or newer and a V6 just as it is likely lower mileage to start. I take to heart the 2005 comment about 4.2 being worked to its best. If you can give reasons why you think a certain model is stronger than another I would appreciate it,

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.