Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

GPS Suggestions/Recommendations: Turn off when pwr goes off

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2013 LE, so no built-in GPS, but I would like to add a little portable GPS unit that can be put away when not needed.

The feature that I am looking for is for it to operate in a fashion that is similar to dashcams; IE, when the IGN is off the unit turns off, and when the IGN key is on, the unit operates.(although the internal battery will maintain memory settings, etc all of the time).

I have two portable GPS units, but both require a press of the power button to shut down, and I was going to build a circuit that connects across the PWR button and senses IGN status to simulate that function, but if something already exists in the market, then I will give that a whirl instead.

Is there such an animal? Any suggestions and or recommendations welcome.

#2 ·
I have a Tom Tom that my uncle gave me. It turns off when the ignition is turned off and it's plugged into the switched outlet. Still have to turn it on when starting the car again.

#3 ·
when the IGN is off the unit turns off, and when the IGN key is on, the unit operates.(although the internal battery will maintain memory settings, etc all of the time)..
The settings such as waypoints and config settings are stored on the internal memory or SD card. The internal battery can be completely run down without losing this data.

I have two portable GPS units, but both require a press of the power button to shut down,
My experience with Garmin GPSRs, is that when the 12 volt source is removed the unit is powered off. When the 12 volts is reestablished, the GPSR does a complete reboot and restarts. Basically they do exactly what you are looking for.

Are you saying that when removing the 12 volts from the cigarette/power plug that your GPSR continues to run normally?. What brand are these two units?

#7 ·
Are you saying that when removing the 12 volts from the cigarette/power plug that your GPSR continues to run normally?. What brand are these two units?
MIO Digiwalker C220

Navigon 2100

Both units stay on after 12V is removed. Both are mid-2000s vintage, probably around 2005-2007, so Yes, GPS units have come a long way since then.

#4 ·
I have a Garmin permanently mounted in my 2001 F-250. It's connected to an ON-IN-RUN circuit so it goes off 10-15 seconds after "external power lost" when I shut off the engine and comes back on when I restart, all w/o me touching it at all. In fact it's voice command responding to my "Hey Garmin" so I never do touch it. Neat.

Reactions: whipaway
#5 ·
I have a Garmin permanently mounted...... when I shut off the engine and comes back on when I restart, all w/o me touching it at all. In fact it's voice command responding to my "Hey Garmin" so I never do touch it. Neat.
I have a Garmin that responds to the "Hey Garmin" command as well ( a 2460 IIRC). I also have an 880 model that responds when you push a button that is attached to the steering wheel, with a rubber strap.

Most units power down completely when the 12 volt power is removed, and then start up again, as if the start button was pushed, when the 12 volts is re-established.

The Garmin 880 had a unique feature, in that only the screen would go off when the 12 volts was removed. It was still running internally, keeping track of the satellite locations. When the 12 volts was re-established the screen would light up, and your position was displayed immediately. The only problem is that the internal battery would only last about 24 hours with the screen off. If the vehicle was not used during this time the internal battery would die, and the unit would need to go through a cold start when the engine was finally started.

As mentioned the internal battery would last about 24 hours with the screen off, but only 5 hours if the screen was on. Much like a cell phones battery life is greatly reduced with a lot of screen time.

#11 ·
That would be my recommendation. Make sure you get a model with LMT or at least LM in the model name. These models will cost a few dollars more than the same model without the LM or LMT, but you can get free Lifetime Map Updates about 4 times per year. You will also get free traffic information on the LMT models. The map updates would normally Cost about $75 if you had to pay for them.

Garmin also has a few hands free models, so you can give it a new destination without touching it.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.