2wd RAV4 owners question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2wd RAV4 owners question

I have a question that I have wanted to ask the 2wd owners. It has plagued me since I first started looking for a RAV4. I am asking this not to cause a fight amongst owners but because I just want to know. The question is why did you buy your 2wd RAV4 over a 4wd? I know the most common answers are "higher gas mileage," "cheaper to buy," "less maintenance," and "I knew the history of the vehicle." What I am looking for is just another answer.

Thanks for your input.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
(Might not be relevant, but simply doing it)
For my BMW (also 2WD for the record):
Since it had LPG in it (major difference in price per gallon, more then 65% difference!) and was available for a really low price, had a lot of luxery options and looked good with trade in option.
Apart from the fact that BMW in this segment are not available in 4WD off factory
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,181 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Mark, I had no choice. You see, the dealers only stock the 2WD in this part of the country. I suppose my dealer could have special ordered one for me, but it seems the 4WD is more popular in snowy areas, and we very rarely get snow. I'm actually glad I've got the 2WD version after hearing of the additional expense and hassle of servicing transfer case and rear differential. Less weight for better mileage and fewer parts to go wrong is fine with me. Also, my 2WD performed flawlessly in the snows of Ohio, Michigan, Ontario, and Quebec!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Down where I live it's pancake flat, only gets below freezing once a decade or so, and snowed once in the last 132 years. Both drive types are offered perhaps due to the beaches you can drive on that are very close by. I don't drive on the beach so I had zero need or want for 4WD and the complexities/maintenance associated with it. For where I live front wheel drive was a no brainer.....on both RAVs.

If you live where snow, ice, & slop is common you'd be a goober not to buy a four wheel drive RAV.....or any vehicle for that matter.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM

I'm from the same region as the previous 2 posters and 90% of us quite simply don't need 4WD down here.

'08 Tundra 5.7 DC 2WD Super White/Black
'11 M3 Sedan Alpine White/Black

'10 RAV4 V6 Limited 2wd Blizzard Pearl/Beige (wife's)
Sport Headlights w/ DDM/Morimoto H1 HID Projector Retrofit, EBC Green Stuff F&R pads, Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring 225/65/17
#6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

(Thread Starter)
I would like to thank everyone for their answers.

JuneBug, I did notice when I was going to see my son in St. Louis that there weren't many 4wd RAV4s for sale there or Kansas City. I now know why it is because 4wd is not need as greatly because of the warmer weather and dealer quotas. I guess I live too far North and I feel that a 4wd is a must. Although, because of the higher ground clearance and fwd they would be better in snow then a fwd car.

A little off subject, but when I went to see my son in St. Louis I was amazed to see road kill armadillos along Interstate 70 between Kansas City and St. Louis. I didn't think they came that far north!

I know that a Rav4 is a good vehicle no matter if it is 2wd or 4wd. Everyone has their own reason for buying one. The reason I bought mine was I needed a 4wd vehicle for my wife to drive to work and we liked the way a RAV4 looks. So if you take out the 4wd part what's left is looks. I guess I bought mine like a lot of people and that was for how a RAV4 looks.

Have a good day.
Mark
#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,181 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Mark, it wasn't the looks that sold me on the RAV4--I actually preferred the looks of the CR-V--it was the V6 that sold me on the RAV4. Sadly, the new 2013 is 4-cylinder only.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM

+1000 on the V6. We tow....gotta have the V6.

'09 RAV4 V6 Ltd - Yep, it's gotta HEMI
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko59 View Post
I have a question that I have wanted to ask the 2wd owners. It has plagued me since I first started looking for a RAV4. I am asking this not to cause a fight among owners but because I just want to know. The question is why did you buy your 2wd RAV4 over a 4wd? I know the most common answers are "higher gas mileage," "cheaper to buy," "less maintenance," and "I knew the history of the vehicle." What I am looking for is just another answer.

Thanks for your input.
Mark
Well you pretty much nailed all the reasons except the easiest and most important one:

Do you really need 4WD?

In my case, living in well paved, sunny, SoCal, the answer is no, so it would be stupid for me to pay the additional costs to buy it, maintain it, repair it and feed it extra fuel. Makes as much sense as throwing a couple of hundred pounds of sand in the back and just driving it around like that!

Now if I lived someplace where snow was common, or I drove frequently on unpaved roads, my answer might have been different.

There's a lot more to the 2WD Rav4 than looks. We find it the perfect size for light hauling, camping, fitting into the garage and returning good fuel economy. It has decent passenger space, rides reasonably well and is much more versatile than a similarly sized sedan. Very handy. We have the I4 engine and find it completely adequate for our uses.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM

my two cents...

All the reason others have posted...

1. I'm in Florida, will not see snow anytime soon.
2. Less maintenance - more parts, more wear especially with a 4WD

I would say better mileage; however, that is not a concern. I like the power of the V6. I have a 1997 Tacoma LX with the V6 (250K on the odometer) so mileage was not a consideration - power was since I plan on occasionally towing the 16' Carolina Skiff.

Last edited by staplegun; 12-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page