The Spare Tire Controversy - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
That sounds like a good solution, electric pump and plug kit. How long does it take to fill a flat tire, I've never used on of those, and how much are they?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM

I live in an area which has really bad roads so having a full size spare tire with matching alloy wheel is a blessing! If I ever damage one of the wheels, it will become my spare and the spare wheel will go on the car! I would not be able to do 5 wheel rotation anymore but that's not a big thing to me.

I blew up a front tire once and bent the wheel but it was a steelie so the local truck tire shop was able to straighten it at minimal cost; the tire had road hazard warranty (the good old days!) and I had to pay for a wheel alignment. I'm not sure alloys can be repaired if bent but I had one repaired when I scrubbed a curb for about $100 15 years ago.

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
If I lived in a remote area, or tended to take a lot of trips to remote areas I think I too would also feel better having some kind of spare, but it wouldn't have to be full size ST (Unless I lived in Alaska or Syberia or the Outback of Australia, etc.!) Most places in the world today are within an hour, at the most, of getting help, so it isn't something I worry about.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
That sounds like a good solution, electric pump and plug kit. How long does it take to fill a flat tire, I've never used on of those, and how much are they?
Depends on the compressor. The small ones I've used take a good 10 minutes or so.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
If I lived in a remote area, or tended to take a lot of trips to remote areas I think I too would also feel better having some kind of spare, but it wouldn't have to be full size ST (Unless I lived in Alaska or Syberia or the Outback of Australia, etc.!) Most places in the world today are within an hour, at the most, of getting help, so it isn't something I worry about.
Here where I live in Canada there are many forest roads that are not far from civilization, however, there is no Cellphone service in the mountain valleys so the full sized spare is crucial in case of a sidewall gash or major puncture.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

We're often in the same situation regardingthe lack of cell phone service, even on main highways. And on more rural roads there tends to be more flats-causing bits on the roads - everything from bolts and bits from farming equipment to nails from contractors' trucks on the way to the disposal sites.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
Here where I live in Canada there are many forest roads that are not far from civilization, however, there is no Cellphone service in the mountain valleys so the full sized spare is crucial in case of a sidewall gash or major puncture.
I can definitely sympathize with that

#18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the full-sized spare tire on the back swing gate door under the full-shell tire cover (no vinyl zipper thing). This configuration is the best, I think, and while I understand the increased risk for damage in a rear collision, at the same time I take great comfort in knowing it's there. I also hugely appreciate the ability to put a full-sized, dirty flat tire back on the swing gate, rather than having to try to find space for the flat in the cargo area, like you would need to do on a 2013 RAV4.

In the awesome underfloor storage bins that don't exist on the 2013s, I also carry a tire plug kit, battery-powered air compressor, and a manual tire pump (foot pump kind), as well as a can of fix-a-flat.

BUT...I'm quite sure I read somewhere (owner's manual?) that for at least more recent RAV4's you DO NOT want to use those cans of "fix-a-flat," I think at the very least because the gunk inside them messes up the tire pressure sensors on the insides of the rims.

At least for me, using a can of that stuff would be a last resort, emergency-type situation only. I even taped a note on my can of fix-a-flat that reminds me not to use it on the RAV4 tires unless absolutely necessary.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
At least for me, using a can of that stuff would be a last resort, emergency-type situation only. I even taped a note on my can of fix-a-flat that reminds me not to use it on the RAV4 tires unless absolutely necessary.
Do not use fix a flat, it will destroy your tpms as well as your tire. If you want to use something like that as a last resort I recommend you get a can of quick spare slime, is safe for tpms and washes out of the tire with water. Make sure you get the large can, the small one won't be enough for our tires

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

I've gone back and forth on the run-flat tire decision. I have them on my Corvette and they are terrible, but youtube is littered with go-pro shots of people who experience sudden tire pressure loss when on track and they have the most spectacular and expensive demise to their vehicles. There are also youtube videos of the same type of sudden pressure loss in vehicles with run-flats, and they are able to keep it off the walls and bring the speed down with relatively good control. So, while regular tires give better grip, better ride, better fuel economy, and cost less, I'll probably stay with run-flats on this vehicle for the safety aspect. Oh, I'd also probably lose quite a bit of bodywork if a tire went flat and it kept rolling.

We have a base Rav with a full sized spare on the back, and it is a pain with all that weight back there. Several times, my wife has parked on a 15% slope and had to open/close the rear tailgate, once while wearing high heels and a skirt in the rain, and she just barely managed to get the door closed pushing uphill against all that weight, not to mention the danger of that door swinging open, gravity-assisted, and almost ripping off the hinges before it stopped.

I've told my wife that if she gets a flat and it's a dangerous area, or if the weather is bad, to just drive on the rim to someplace where she can be safe and get help. I'd much rather have her destroy a rim rather than go out and fiddle with the spare (she would have no ability to get that spare off, swap out the tire, and then heave a 60 pound wheel back onto the tailgate) or try to use a can of fix-a-flat.

I think it's probably still a couple of years from getting good run-flats in all types of tires. By then, I'll probably have them installed on all of our vehicles.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page