The Spare Tire Controversy - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question The Spare Tire Controversy

I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's input on spare tires (STs). Here are a few questions to get this rolling, and I'm sure others will think of more:

What ST setup do you have and what year RAV4?

Do you like it? Gives reasons why, pro or con.

What setup would you rather have? What would the advantages be for you?

Are there other cars that you think have a better solution?

Would you consider having no ST at all and rely on Tripple A and maybe Fix-A-Flat cans?

Are Run Flats a good solution?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
(Two) '08s -Rear Doors

Yes, why would I not?

No other setup.

No

No

No

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
I had a (very worn, unreliable) spare tyre on my RAV4.
Never used it and wouldn't even consider doing that either.

I don't have a spare on my BMW at this point. Not considering buying one too, even tough i have a fair amount of kilometers i drive monthly.

Reason is that on the highway the help will be there within 30 minutes, and i haven't needed to change a tyre in 10 years of driving. So the chance of getting a puncture is rather low, i take the chance and will have to deal with the situation at the moment it occurs.

Runflats are good, IF you pay attention. Have heard more then one story of people destroying their RF tyres because they didn't notice the warning light coming on, or didn't recognise it and drive above the max speed limit for flat RF tyres.
The RF tyres become dangerous once they are flat and you keep driving with them on normal speed. They could hurt motorcyclists for instance with high speed rubber debris.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM

RAV-4 set up

We have two RAV-4 V6 Sports, both with Tow Prep Package

-2008 V6 Sport with Spare 48K miles Purchased new
-Like the look
-Never had to use the spare

-2010 V6 Sport with Appearance Package (no spare)
-Purchased CPO with 18K miles, now have 25K
-Like the look equally, but would have preferred the "peace of mind" of the Spare
-Don't like the RFT ride--noticeably harsher, especially on concrete roadways with expansion strips! Not too bad on blacktop, but my wife hates taking my car!
-Have a REAL slow leak in one tire (need air every 2 months). Have a nail and a slit and no one wants to fix it!

Plan to replace the RFTs with Michelin Latitudes. Never had a flat with them on my Highlander (165K miles). Will take my chances because I can't stand the ride! What a difference I had in my Highlander when I switched from the Bridgestone Duelers to Michelins--I didn't have to hold my breath around a curve in wet weather. Still, my RAV-4 handles way better than my 2001 V6 Highlander did.

IMHO, Toyota was just plain lazy in not designing a spare tire--even a doughnut!

Having seen the 2013 RAV-4, I wish I waited another year!

Do you think they have spare tires? None in the pictures!
http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4/

MK
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM

2003 on the back Spare.

Yes like having a full size spare (original dueller tire)
Had to use it once when i had a 3 gashes in sidewall.

It's heavy and wind or slope can make the door slam hard.

I also have a can of fix a flat stuff, compressor and tire plugs/reamer
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM

I have the 2011 with SAP(no spare) because I liked the looks.

Do not like runflats....replaced at 2,800 miles with Michelins.

Now carry fix-a-flat, AAA etc.

Would rather have the new 2013 Rav approach to a spare.

Rob West
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's input on spare tires (STs). Here are a few questions to get this rolling, and I'm sure others will think of more:

What ST setup do you have and what year RAV4?

Do you like it? Gives reasons why, pro or con.

What setup would you rather have? What would the advantages be for you?

Are there other cars that you think have a better solution?

Would you consider having no ST at all and rely on Tripple A and maybe Fix-A-Flat cans?

Are Run Flats a good solution?
Hi 2u,

I've been thinking about asking almost the same question.

I have a 2011 with the spare on the back door/hatch.

I would prefer to have non-run-flat tires; I had run-flats on my Lexus and hated the harsh ride. There will be no run-flats in my future.

I would prefer a SpaceSaver ST that would sit under the inner floorboards for easy access. It is the smallest ST and I am sure that room could be made to store it there. I prefer the look of no tire on the back door/hatch.

Better Solution: Well, my Lexus had the option of std tires and a SpaceSaver ST; but virtually none of them came that way. When you had the SpaceSver ST in the trunk and the top down you could store a toothbrush back there.

Would you . . . rely on Tripple A and maybe Fix-A-Flat cans? I bought the BMW Mobility Kit for my Lexus, which is a compressor, can of sealant and some other goodies; such as a tire guage, gloves, etc.

Does that answer everything?

And thanks for asking,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I base some of my answers on the fact that I have not changed a tire in more years than I can remember; at least 30 yrs or more. Tires today are far more reliable than when I was a teenager.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

With the AWD format the spare has to be the same diameter as the regular tires. My wife's AWD CR-V has a spare which is the same diameter as the other tires but has a slimmer profile and carries 60 psi. Retrieving it from its underfloor compartment is a hassle, especially if there is something already loaded in that area. Also as I have mentioned on other threads, Honda placed it in the compartment with the inflation valve pointing downwards, making checking it in its stock position anything but fun.

My 2011's door-mounted spare is easy to access but it makes the door heavy, preventing it from being upward-opening. Still, I prefer it and certainly for me more than run-flats.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
On my 2002 RAV4 I had the full size ST on the back hatch.. for the 8 years I owned the car I never had a flat until a week before I sold it. The treads were really almost gone and I was going to get new tires for the sale that morning. When I went out to drive to the appointment with the tire shop I found a front tire flat. It took me half an hour to get the very tight vinyl ST cover off and change it for the flat tire, only to find that the ST only had about 10 pounds in it. For the next 20 minutes I ended up pumping up the ST with my bicycle pump... ever tried to inflate a car tire with a bicycle pump?

I think the only other flat tire I can remember was about 20 years ago on a Mazda pickup truck.. got a nail at a construction site.

My 2011 AWD Sport has the sport package with run flats. I like not having the wheel on the back hatch, except for not having my 2002 tire mount bicycle carrier, which I do miss.

When these RFs need replacing I will probably go with regular radial tires to save money and carry a few Fix-A-Flat cans and be a member of Triple A as I live in an area where help is easily found. If I lived in a remote area I probably would want a real spare of some kind.

How often have the rest of you had flat tires?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM

I'd forgo an inconvenience of pulling cargo out in order to get to spare tyre for having lift tailgate. My reasons are as follows:
1 I can fix a nail hole in 15 minutes with tyre still attached to the car using plug kit and
battery operated pump.
2 Side wall cuts occur very rarely so there is no reason to get to spare tyre if one has a
minimal manual skills.
3 In the event of minor back end bump the damage to the car is less dramatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page