Help Deciding - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
I should point out, I don't plan to ever another vw again. Not new anyhow. For obvious reasons. I think mine has run the gauntlet ok, and is worth keeping--but I can easily see how others haven't the same opinion. I do like my Toyota dealer (our Camry is still young, but bought new), but just can't pull the trigger on another payment.

2011 Camry 2.5L/6spd manual, 73kmiles
2010 Tundra 4.6L/auto/4x4/DC, 85kmiles
2004 VW Jetta Wagon TDi/5spd manual, 295kmiles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I also don't want to spend more than 5k, but I don't really want to buy something worn out or abused. But salt erosion is an issue up here too...
Kind of a quandary there! Anything old enough to get for 5K and not have salt damage isn't gonna come from New England or any northern state.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suspect a 4runner would work well, but I don't offload so I wonder about the rav. I also don't want to spend more than 5k, but I don't really want to buy something worn out or abused. But salt erosion is an issue up here too...
I spent a couple of months looking for a roughly $5k vehicle as daily driver, and the missus originally said it'd be great if it could be AWD/4WD and better if it were capable of some hauling, like a pickup truck. At least on this coast, there's no way of getting anything in relatively decent shape for that price. The best of about a dozen vehicles was a Nissan pickup truck with a canopy that had over 150k miles. It looked like it needed about another thousand in maintenance and fixes to get it running well and reliably.

It definitely seems like the bottom end of the car market has risen as the top end has dropped a bit so there's a lot of vehicles right in the middle, but $5k is really at the low end for a vehicle to expect a lot of years or miles out of.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM

(Thread Starter)
Hmm, this link Toyota all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works indicates that the the automatics through '05 were full time, so I was wrong there. '06 and on are "proactive" but I fail to see how they are "proactive" when they are FWD until it can predict wheelslip... I suspect the system, once it reacts to any wheel slip, will slowly return to FWD. Regardless...

Yeah, I know, $5k doesn't buy much. But, that's basically my budget for whatever it is I'm after. It's just not worth much more than that to me. Also, I wouldn't consider dropping $1k into repairs shortly after purchasing all that bad--it's the luck of the draw. All vehicles need repairs as they age. We just hope for cheap repairs, that's all.

#15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm, this link Toyota all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works indicates that the the automatics through '05 were full time, so I was wrong there. '06 and on are "proactive" but I fail to see how they are "proactive" when they are FWD until it can predict wheelslip... I suspect the system, once it reacts to any wheel slip, will slowly return to FWD. Regardless...

Yeah, I know, $5k doesn't buy much. But, that's basically my budget for whatever it is I'm after. It's just not worth much more than that to me. Also, I wouldn't consider dropping $1k into repairs shortly after purchasing all that bad--it's the luck of the draw. All vehicles need repairs as they age. We just hope for cheap repairs, that's all.
The 4WD explanations are pretty much a moot point for you, at least of '05 vintage. And, you'll probably end up with a brand that depreciates faster than Toyota. What' I'd do is set up searches on eBay, searchtempest, autotrader, cars.com etc and keep renewing them until I find what I want. Took me a month to find my RAV4 & Accord. Paid 15K for each.
#16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
I like doing all my research up front. Hence looking at the different versions of AWD, and problem areas, and what generation had what engine, so as to pick the "best" version (best blend of expected repairs, cost, ability/usage, mpg, perhaps a few other metrics).

I'm not sure how a well used vehicle would depreciate any faster as its initial depreciation, though; and I'm not shopping for off-brands anyhow. Ability to repair is important on anything old, and I have some distrust of some brands (getting parts or support).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page