Your Humble Administrator
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Thanked 1,276 Times in 925 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the RAV4 a DEATH TRAP?
There seems to be 1001 ways your RAV4 can cause severe injury and death, at least according to the owner's manual. I think all these cautions are written by the corporate lawyers. These are actual quotes from the new 2013 RAV4 owner's manual:
• When adjusting the seat position
• Take care when adjusting the seat position to ensure that other passengers
are not injured by the moving seat.
• Do not put your hands under the seat or near the moving parts to avoid
injury. Fingers or hands may become jammed in the seat mechanism.
• When folding the rear seatbacks down
• Observe the following precautions. Failure to do so may result in death or
• Do not fold the seatbacks down while driving.
• Be careful not to get hands or feet pinched between the rear console box
and the rear seat when folding down the rear seatback.
• Seat adjustment caution
Take care during seat adjustment so that the seat does not strike the rear
passenger or squeeze your body against the steering wheel.
• When driving the vehicle
• Do not drive if you are unfamiliar with the location of the brake and accelerator
pedals to avoid depressing the wrong pedal.
• Accidentally depressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake
pedal will result in sudden acceleration that may lead to an accident.
• Do not drive the vehicle over or stop the vehicle near flammable materials.
The exhaust system and exhaust gases can be extremely hot. These hot
parts may cause a fire if there is any flammable material nearby.
• CAUTION: Do not adjust the position of the mirrors while driving.
Doing so may lead to mishandling of the vehicle and cause an accident,
resulting in death or serious injury.
• When a mirror is moving
To avoid personal injury and mirror malfunction, be careful not to get your
hand caught by the moving mirror.
• When the mirror defoggers are operating (vehicles with outside rear
view mirror defoggers) Do not touch the rear view mirror surfaces, as they can become very hot
and burn you.
Coat hooks: The coat hooks are provided with the rear assist grips.
CAUTION: Items that cannot be hung on the coat hook -
Do not hang coat hangers or other hard or sharp objects on the hook. If the
SRS curtain shield airbags deploy, these items may become projectiles,
causing death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Assist grip - Do not use the assist grip when getting in or out of the
vehicle or rising from your seat. Doing so could damage the assist grip,
or could cause you to injure yourself by falling over.
2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"