looking for 2009-20010 RAV4 V6 4WD Manual transmission - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Shopping and Test Drives Discuss the various issues that come into play when you are test driving, comparing and pricing the RAV4 with other SUV's.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
looking for 2009-20010 RAV4 V6 4WD Manual transmission

Im going to buy a RAV4. I currently drive an Audi TT with great get up and go. I really need my RAV4 to have a good amount of pickup too. I feel if I get the RAV4 with V6 and manual transmission I can accomplish this. If you can help pls let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

doesn't exist. sorry. You can't even get 4-cylinders with a manual anymore like you could in the last generation.

If you can get by with FWD, check out a Tiguan 2.0T 6MT. That's about it. I think even the Suby Forester 2.5XT is auto-only now too. sad sad

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to AWDios Send a message via MSN to AWDios Send a message via Yahoo to AWDios
the auto really isn't THAT bad. I'm coming from only driving MT vehicles for the last 10 years as well.

http://www.pstoc.org
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
Sales and Leasing Consultant - Toyota of Kirkland
http://www.facebook.com/rogercarrTOK
#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

I'm getting used to the auto but I really really miss driving a manual. At least i don't hate driving it as much anymore.
One thing though that I suggest is to make sure that if you get a used one, check to see if the gas pedal recall was done on it and if it was done, see if it is the shim that was added to it or if it is a replaced pedal. I really really hated driving it when it had the shim because the pedal became really unresponsive.
When I had Toyota replace the pedal with the new design, it felt 100x better. I can actually have control of the downshifts with the gas pedal whereas before, I was scared to step on the pedal any harder when I was cruising cause I have to step on it so hard to get any movement that it'll downshift from 4th all the way down to 2nd. At least now, I feel more in control with the pedal because it's so much more responsive and lighter. I can actually step on it light enough to get it to go down only one gear to accelerate.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As mentioned there's no such thing in the USA. European models are available with diesel (possibly petrol) and a manual shift. Your only choice would be to import one which is entirely impractical, perhaps even impossible.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:21 AM
avs
Advanced Member

The V6 has plenty of power with the automatic transmission. Try test driving one and you'll see what I mean.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM

we drive what the goverment wants us to drive

I miss the days when even american cars came with a manual transmission, they could be a 6cyl, but with manual transmission they save gas, you deceided when to shift, I do not see any other reason for making us drive automatic other than waste gas, and with that it means more money for the big companies pockets......I drive a 2009 Rav4 4x4 4 cyl. and the mileage is crazy, and it is 4x4 all the time....I went by for the review went I frist bought it, but.......?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olleb View Post
I miss the days when even american cars came with a manual transmission, they could be a 6cyl, but with manual transmission they save gas, you deceided when to shift, I do not see any other reason for making us drive automatic other than waste gas, and with that it means more money for the big companies pockets......I drive a 2009 Rav4 4x4 4 cyl. and the mileage is crazy, and it is 4x4 all the time....I went by for the review went I frist bought it, but.......?
It's my admittedly vague understanding that automatic transmission technology has improved to the point where any improvement in MPG for a manual transmission will, in general, be pretty miniscule. Obviously that will vary by manufacturer and options (e.g. an automatic may have a different number of gears than the manual available for a model) but generally speaking, all else being equal, improvements in automatic transmission efficiency have been significant enough in recent years to really close the gap.

There are absolutely some advantages to having a manual transmission, to be sure, but MPG isn't really one of them any more.

The RAV4 is not "4x4 all the time." It is my understanding that it is only in 4x4 mode when:
  • Starting from a stop
  • The "lock" button is engaged and you are doing less than 25 MPH (e.g. usually to get unstuck)
  • The front wheels start to slip, so additional power is sent rearward
  • On 2010 models and newer, when the front and rear accelerometers don't match where the steering wheel is pointed (the vehicle is yawing) additional power will be sent to whatever wheels are needed to help correct that
  • Not sure about when Downhill Assist Control is in use. Anyone?
When not in 4x4 mode the RAV4 is firmly a front wheel drive car, and the reason for that is to improve MPG.

So basically it tries to intelligently maximize fuel economy while still providing power to the rear wheels only when appropriate.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olleb View Post
What???? Many many vehicles today that are offered with both transmissions get better mileage with the automatic. I prefer a manual but the vast majority of people do not; many have no clue how to even operate one. It is simple supply and demand....Euro drivers want stick shift, Americans do not. Your conspiracy theory is a bit much and has nothing to substantiate it.
Your car is a PART TIME four wheel drive, it's not a jeep.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

The Subaru Outback can still comes manual trans. My friend just bought one with all the bells and whistle for $32,000 out the door. This was for 2013 model.

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page