[Jalopnik] The Original Toyota RAV4 Was Better And More Important Than You Think - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List
RAVMAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello.

Only the Rav 4.2 3 door version was a want to maybe have,,, but I stick to MINE, untill 1 of us both dies, ....

Edit: I wont let him die..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love this little article! I have to say, I bought a 3rd gen RAV4 Sport, but it barely got driven, so after it was paid off, it got sold lol. I absolutely love my 4.1 and cannot ever see myself parting with it. It's a 1999 model with 315,000 miles right now. It was bought brand new with 12 miles by my parents and I bought it from them 5 years later. SO many memories!! The paint is beginning to fade and I'm sure the clutch, gearbox, and motor wouldn't mind a rebuild lol, but it is still going strong with very minimal oil usage! As someone else previously said, for anyone who loves these cars as we all do and haven't driven a first gen, DO SO! If you are anywhere in North Louisiana, you are more than welcome to come take a spin in mine LOL

Bear Stephens

1999 Toyota RAV4, 5-speed manual, 2wd, 4-door, Mystic Teal Mica
2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport, 2.5 I4, 4-speed Auto, 2wd, Black Forest Pearl
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester and a 1998 2-door convertible RAV4 with 155k on it. Guess which one I drive the most? The 4.1 is definitely one of the best all around vehicles ever made.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:47 PM

I really miss the times when you could see a Toyota driving towards you in the distance and could tell what it was before it got close enough to read the name on it. I am really disgusted with what has happened with the car industry as a whole, all cars looking alike and all, but was hopeful that Toyota would remain different. Sadly, I was wrong...

As the proud owner of a 2000 Rav4, in my opinion, the changes to the Rav4 on 2003 (if memory serves me right) were just the start of the "look alike" trend, but it still was distinguishable. I believe it was 2006 when they came out looking like a Ford...

I went by the dealership in 2013 for service on my 2000, I took a stroll down the new cars section to kill time. I wanted to see what has been going on with the Rav4, since I knew they changed it again. The salesman did not what to do with me, because of the way I reacted. If I wanted a Ford, i would go to the Ford dealer... I do not care what anyone says to me about how "nice" it is. If I wanted "nice", I would go get a Camry (which was my first car). I am not a "fru-fru" kind of woman. I want a reliable, strong, small 4X4 SUV! Not a luxuriously fancy redecorated station wagon! Not a crossover either. I want one that looks like one, rides like one, handles like one, and I can trust to go anywhere with it. Just me... Only choice I had left was the FJ, which is no more...

When I moved to Ecuador for health reasons, I try to get a 2-door Rav4. They are very rare and it was impossible to find one for sale. I purchased a 2-door miny tank instead: a 1988 Land Cruiser II, which was never sold in the USA. You should see the looks I get around here!

Thank you,

Kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to urlokitty For This Useful Post:
mlrav (07-29-2015)
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Arrow My RAV4ev Gen 1

Just purchased a RAV4ev Gen 1. It used the Gen 1 4-door body (wish it had the 2 door option, but I think there was only 1 made as a prototype) up until 2003. And I love it! Roomy, comfortable, versatile and originally able to go 115 miles gas free. It has heated front seats and a heated electric windshield that defrosts in seconds.

It scared the oil companies so much that Texaco/Chevron bought the rights to the Panasonic sourced large format NIHM type 95 battery and DISMANTLED THE FACTORY! If we had continued NIHM battery testing and improvements over the last decade it might have surpassed LiPo battery technology.

2002 Rav4ev (uses Gen 1 4-door body styling)
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM

Garage
Thumbs down Cheers! Rav 4.20 fourtwenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrock View Post
The Original Toyota RAV4 Was Better And More Important Than You Think

Patrick George on JALOPNIK
Today 5:56pm

Because it's stupid to throw away that kind of brand recognition, the modern Toyota RAV4 is a bloated, anonymous, mall-going crossover. Things weren't always that way. Opponaut HammerheadFistpunch is here to tell you why his first car, the original RAV4, was such a great example of how good Toyota is when they actually try.

Take a lovingly nostalgic trip down memory lane with Jalopnik!
Cheers rav420
First gen monster 4wd its been 15 years and counting never been down
The older the Stronger!
Rav4 cagayan de oro ph.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:49 PM

Thank you, Mensajero, for your touching, heartfelt story. You helped me to appreciate my old Rav4 a little more.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 AM

Pretty dumb and ignorant theme. Why would a manufacturer continue to make a car that the public doesn't want and won't buy? To lose money and go out of business?! Manufacturers respond to market demands. If you want a car with style, buy a Mini Cooper or a Porsche. You're entitled to think new RAVs are "mall-going" cars. My wife and I are picking up a 2015 Limited tomorrow. I know it's not the greatest car ever made. It's a small SUV made for life in 2015. Just think, 20 years from now I can rail at all the new RAVs and how great they were in the good old days.
The Following User Says Thank You to vegbiker For This Useful Post:
migdalorguy (12-30-2015)
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbiker View Post
Pretty dumb and ignorant theme. Why would a manufacturer continue to make a car that the public doesn't want and won't buy? To lose money and go out of business?! Manufacturers respond to market demands. If you want a car with style, buy a Mini Cooper or a Porsche. You're entitled to think new RAVs are "mall-going" cars. My wife and I are picking up a 2015 Limited tomorrow. I know it's not the greatest car ever made. It's a small SUV made for life in 2015. Just think, 20 years from now I can rail at all the new RAVs and how great they were in the good old days.
And once you slap Hello Kitty and rainbow unicorn stickers on that MALL4 it'll be perfect
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:46 PM

I recently bought a RAV4 1 Generation is a 1996 Twin Cam 16 type G , I fell in love because it is very rraro see one that engine the novelty I am very happy but you see I feel I have to make several arrangements to rav from suspencion and some tunings I hope someone can give me advice with this engine Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page