Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Announced - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No, I meant I expect the RAV4 Hybrid pricing to be in same ballpark as non-hybrid Venza pricing for comparable trims & options, at least in Canada that is.

I was determining the pricing premium for a hybrid version compared with a non-hybrid version of the same vehicle, based upon the examples of the Highlander, a model which exists in non-hybrid and hybrid versions, in that instance with the hybrid version available only in the upmarket Limited version. The NY Auto Show RAV4 hybrid shown also is shown to be the Limited version and if the same U.S. dollar premium amount is applied at today's 2015 prices the hybrid RAV4 should cost about US $35,950. If the RAV4 hybrid, presumably to be available only as a Limited version, is to cost as much as a Venza Limited ($39,940) the RAV4 hybrid price premium would be a whopping $11,400. Perhaps the situation in Canada would be substantially different.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Eug

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
I was determining the pricing premium for a hybrid version compared with a non-hybrid version of the same vehicle, based upon the examples of the Highlander, a model which exists in non-hybrid and hybrid versions, in that instance with the hybrid version available only in the upmarket Limited version. The NY Auto Show RAV4 hybrid shown also is shown to be the Limited version and if the same U.S. dollar premium amount is applied at today's 2015 prices the hybrid RAV4 should cost about US $35,950. If the RAV4 hybrid, presumably to be available only as a Limited version, is to cost as much as a Venza Limited ($39,940) the RAV4 hybrid price premium would be a whopping $11,400. Perhaps the situation in Canada would be substantially different.
There is another picture that Toyota released which is not the Limited version. See attachment. None of the pictures mention AWD though.

In Canada, this is the Venza pricing, all in Canadian dollars:

$27930: Venza (after $2000 rebate)
$32275: Venza XLE (after $2000 rebate)
$28685: Venza V6 (after $3000 rebate)
$28730: Venza AWD (after $3000 rebate)
$33075: Venza AWD XLE (after $3000 rebate)
$35715: Venza AWD Limited (after $3000 rebate)
$30485: Venza V6 AWD (after $3000 rebate)
$34830: Venza V6 AWD XLE (after $3000 rebate)
$37470: Venza V6 AWD Limited (after $3000 rebate)

I'm hoping for a RAV4 AWD Limited Hybrid to be priced in the high 30s. The only thing that makes me less sure about all of this is the huge swing in currency exchanges rates of late. Mind you if anything, that will help Americans more than it will harm Canadians AFAIK, since the Canadian dollar has held its ground against currencies other than the US dollar. It's just that the US dollar has climbed relative to everything else (including the Japanese Yen).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBBec4uVAAAhfKP.jpg (47.3 KB, 18 views)
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Eug

Quote:
I'm hoping for a RAV4 AWD Limited Hybrid to be priced in the high 30s. The only thing that makes me less sure about all of this is the huge swing in currency exchanges rates of late. Mind you if anything, that will help Americans more than it will harm Canadians AFAIK, since the Canadian dollar has held its ground against currencies other than the US dollar. It's just that the US dollar has climbed relative to everything else (including the Japanese Yen).
^^ High 30s in Canadian bux.

Here are the currency exchange rates of the US dollar vs. the Yen, Canadian dollar, and the Euro, for the last couple of years. Maybe the Americans will be pleasantly surprised by Toyota's pricing for 2016.

post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Eug

New teaser picture attached.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid | A smarter way to have more fun

In addition, Toyota Safety Sense will debut on this car.

Lexus Safety System+ To Debut On 2016 RX Crossover, Toyota Safety Sense On 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welcome-mat-1500x330.jpg (129.8 KB, 14 views)
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
2015 camry hybrid - XLE - MSRP starting CA$34,800*
2015 Camry XLE - MSRP starting CA$31,040

That's a very affordable CA$4000 difference.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
There is another picture that Toyota released which is not the Limited version. See attachment. None of the pictures mention AWD though.

In Canada, this is the Venza pricing, all in Canadian dollars:

$27930: Venza (after $2000 rebate)
$32275: Venza XLE (after $2000 rebate)
$28685: Venza V6 (after $3000 rebate)
$28730: Venza AWD (after $3000 rebate)
$33075: Venza AWD XLE (after $3000 rebate)
$35715: Venza AWD Limited (after $3000 rebate)
$30485: Venza V6 AWD (after $3000 rebate)
$34830: Venza V6 AWD XLE (after $3000 rebate)
$37470: Venza V6 AWD Limited (after $3000 rebate)

We might go with the base AWD and just opt in for the essentials. I was considering the RDX and NX 200T AWD vehicles but came across this announcement from Toyota regarding the availability of safety feature packages for cheap. Now, I'm more included to consider the RAV4 Hybrid.

Toyota Announces Low-Cost Accident Avoidance Options | Car and Driver Blog
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGuide.com View Post
Most likely is a... 2.5-liter 4-Cylinder paired with an electric motor to make around 200 hp. In that car fuel economy is rated at 33 mpg city and 30 mph highway, thought look for slightly higher numbers in the lighter RAV4.
So do they add the gas engine and the electric to get 200 horses? Don't they operate indepently?

A vehicle like this might make sense facing 90% city driving. A classic 'soccer mom' machine for hauling 2.7 kids and their gear around town.

But I already get around 24 mpg in 50-50 mixed driving in my 2.5 liter 2009 non-hybrid. Bumping up to 33 city going to take a long time to make up the difference if petrol use MPG is the only criteria for success. Also, I get 30 mpg in hwy only, so no improvement there.

Having said that, I DO hope they come out with a true Base model. I'm sure to be in the minority on this forum, but please offer a Base with NO: powered lift gate; powered seat adjust; heated seats; heated rear mirrors; heated steering wheel; powered sun roof; dual zone auto climate; over-priced alloys; probably 10 other things add to expense and complexity/eventual higher failure rate. Heck, I'd probably go with manual roll-up windows! j/k

I DO need AWD and would take a back-up camera and rear proximity warning. Okay, throw in some sound proofing and smooth the ride a bit.

Surprise the world and keep one version under $30k. Likely instead they will bloat this mother cruiser and push $40k.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Eug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
So do they add the gas engine and the electric to get 200 horses? Don't they operate indepently?
The gas and electric engines work together.

Quote:
A vehicle like this might make sense facing 90% city driving. A classic 'soccer mom' machine for hauling 2.7 kids and their gear around town.
This is my wife. 95% city with 2.0 kids.

Quote:
But I already get around 24 mpg in 50-50 mixed driving in my 2.5 liter 2009 non-hybrid. Bumping up to 33 city going to take a long time to make up the difference if petrol use MPG is the only criteria for success. Also, I get 30 mpg in hwy only, so no improvement there.
Perhaps this is a minor consideration for most, but I've really gotten used to continuously variable transmissions. Much smoother ride than typical Toyota automatics.

Quote:
Having said that, I DO hope they come out with a true Base model. I'm sure to be in the minority on this forum, but please offer a Base with NO: powered lift gate; powered seat adjust; heated seats; heated rear mirrors; heated steering wheel; powered sun roof; dual zone auto climate; over-priced alloys; probably 10 other things add to expense and complexity/eventual higher failure rate. Heck, I'd probably go with manual roll-up windows! j/k
Hybrid bang for the buck also depends on the trim level. We are looking at the higher trims and the hybrid upgrade premium is often less costly there. Mind you, in Canada, I suspect there won't be any base model hybrid RAV4s anyway.

Quote:
I DO need AWD and would take a back-up camera and rear proximity warning. Okay, throw in some sound proofing and smooth the ride a bit.
AWD is helpful even for soccer moms for stuff like snowy roads.
post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:39 PM
rns

RAV4 goes Hybrid - Toyota Europe News

Great news and looks like it comes here too.

I just got offer to trade for Nx300h,
but I have to back up it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOYOTA RAV4 HYBRID R_H_Print__mid.jpg (28.5 KB, 16 views)

post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM

Garage
I emailed Toyota a couple of times in the last few years about wanting a Hybrid RAV4. Sometimes wishes do come true

It will probably spell the end of the line for my 2006 V6 RAV4 as I would probably trade it and my Prius in for the Hybrid RAV4.

2015 Toyota 4Runner
2011 Toyota Prius
2011 Chevy Camaro
2006 Toyota RAV4
1989 Chevy Suburban

Last edited by sooperedd; 03-31-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page