Toyota RAV4 Production Underway in Canada - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
R4W Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Toyota RAV4 Production Underway in Canada

Toyota RAV4 Production Underway in Canada
(Link will be changed to Pressroom Toyota when it's finally there)

Press Release
Source: Toyota

Thursday December 4, 1:30 pm ET

WOODSTOCK, Ontario, Dec. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- A ceremony today at Toyota's new manufacturing facility here officially kicked-off production of the RAV4 sport utility vehicle. The plant represents an investment of CAN$1.1 billion and boosts Toyota's investment in Canada to approximately CAN$5.6 billion.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and Toyota Motor Corporation President Katsuaki Watanabe presided over the event, which was attended by local officials, the 1,200 team members who are building RAV4, and hundreds of supplier representatives.

"We started production in nearby Cambridge almost exactly 20 years ago, and this Woodstock plant shows our commitment to Canada is continuing," Watanabe said.

The Woodstock plant is the only location outside of Japan where the RAV4 is built.

Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) currently produces 12 vehicles in North America, including the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, RAV4, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra, Venza and the Lexus RX350. With the start-up in Woodstock, Toyota has 14 plants with the annual capacity to build approximately 2 million cars and trucks as well as engines and transmissions. For more information about Toyota, visit www.toyota.com.

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Re: Toyota RAV4 Production Underway in Canada

No mention of the other 1200 team members who were supposed to have jobs but don't. I guess they had to put on a brave face nevertheless.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

For those wondering about quality, and why it has taken time to see in dealers...

Quote from The Record Dec 5

Amid unprecedented economic and political uncertainty, Toyota officially opened its Woodstock assembly plant yesterday.

The automaker is now shipping RAV4 sport utility vehicles to dealerships across Canada, after its Woodstock workforce met the company's quality standards a little more than a month after trial production began.

"This is a dream come true," Ray Tanguay, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada, told 1,200 workers and 500 invited guests.

He praised the efforts of 1,000 former Toyota employees from Cambridge, who transferred to the Woodstock facility in the months leading up to the start of production in November. Tanguay said the plant has already reached the company's internal quality targets, meaning it is producing vehicles at the same level as the RAV4 plant in Japan.

"One of the great benefits for us is that we could bring experience from Cambridge to start the new facility," Tanguay said following the ceremony. "We're meeting the high level of quality because we have the experience."

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV N US
The automaker is now shipping RAV4 sport utility vehicles to dealerships across Canada, after its Woodstock workforce met the company's quality standards a little more than a month after trial production began.
A friend of mine works for another large Japanese car manufacturer in Canada and told me that you do not want one of the these "trial run" vehicles out of a retool or worse, a new plant.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM

link to an article about goverment aid to Canadian auto industry... but has a picture of a completed 09 Rav4 limited at the new Woodstock plant...
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Decisio...163/story.html
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon
A friend of mine works for another large Japanese car manufacturer in Canada and told me that you do not want one of the these "trial run" vehicles out of a retool or worse, a new plant.
But that is what this is saying...the trial run is over and they have passed Japanese standards.

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

I have no idea what they do with the cars produced before the official start of production, but I wouldn't want one either. They probably become test mules. No manufacturer in the world opens up a new plant and starts shipping product immediately without some verification and testing on the finished product. Part of the cost of doing business.

There could still be issues though. You can only find the things that you're looking for. You won't find problems you're not looking for, or don't realize exist yet. I don't think there'll be any huge differences, but given the choice between otherwise idential Japan built and Canadian built 09's, I'd go with the Japan built one for no other reason than that they've been up and running for awhile and there's far less of a chance of issues or glitches.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
According to this article... the Woodstock plant is making the BEST RAV4 ever 8) http://www.windsorstar.com/Toyota+go...031/story.html

Retired from R4W CLICK HERE
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVMAN
According to this article... the Woodstock plant is making the BEST RAV4 ever 8) http://www.windsorstar.com/Toyota+go...031/story.html
hmm... "three-wet" paint process... cure for easily chipped paints on 4.3 time will tell i guess
#10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM

I don't read the "three-wet" paint process as a quality enhancement, but rather a cost cutting measure. The article just mentions that it means the vehicle only goes through a paint oven once. Gets the RAV out the door even faster. Is that good? Also, I'm not sure about Japan, but plants in Canada and the US are forced to use water based paints instead of the tried and true oil paints. We can thank the tree huggers for that one.

I think I'd prefer an oil based, double baked version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page