View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
revrider87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Towing capacity

Hey guys,
New to the site and Toyota's. I have a ford F-150 but the old lady has a 2011 RAV4 base model I4. She currently does not have a towing hitch installed. We never needed one until recently we were gifted a 2010 viking pop-up trailer. So now we have an issue. I typically pulled our boat which is nearly 5k lbs and we just tented. But i was wondering if her car could pull the pop-up so we can bring the boat and camper. The pop-up specs are listed as follows. Tongue weight is 287 lbs. Dry weight is 2696lbs and Gross is 3500lbs. I have done some research and some places i look people say yeah its fine just tow it others say the Toyota just cant handle it. Braking is not an issue because it has electric breaks that i would have hooked up if i were to install a tow package. I am very familiar with towing trailers. I have experience operating heavy machinery so its not my skill im too worried about as much as it is the capabilities of the RAV4 to pull this. Any input would be great.
It has just been killing me to beleive that her car wont pull it when i see cars such as chevy impala's pulling pop-ups of similar size but idk ill leave it up to you RAV4 experts. Once again thanks for any advice/input you may have.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome