RAV4 hybrid limited only $700 more than gas only model - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.4 (2013+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:13 AM
R4W Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
This comparo interests me the most:

2016 RAV4 Pricing

Gas Model Drive Transmission Grade MSRP
RAV4 AWD A/T XLE $27,670

Hybrid Model Drive Transmission Grade MSRP
RAV4 AWD CVT XLE $28,370

The hybrid has my interest, but I likely won't be an early adopter--but glad to see such a small price difference.

My 09 RAV 4-banger gets 25 mpg overall, if the the hybrid gets 33 mpg, that means about 100-gallons difference per year (considering 10k-miles per year). It's not the only factor, but the meager $700 differential probably pays off in only 3 years or so. And once the inevitable gas price gouge returns, will be even better to be in a hybrid.

Will wait and see how the CVT plays out and if any improvements were made to smooth the ride and reduce cabin noise at least a little bit.
RAV4 Hybrid's 34/31/33 MPG ratings are a little disappointing to me -- was hoping for numbers closer to a magic 40. It's not dramatically better than what the Highlander Hybrid gets with V6 (28/27/27) or a gas-only RAV4 (24/31/26) but at least the "base" price stays under $30k, unlike the stratospheric Highlander Hybrid ($48k to start?? Seriously, Toyota??). Makes me wonder if the XLE trim levels are completely identical across gas and hybrid, saving differences in powertrain.

Though really, the RAV4 outgrew me in size and disappointed in quality and other ways. Other than the quirky but lovable styling of my 1997 (spartan in features) and that awesome V6 in my 2006 (damn that awful gas mileage), I loved my 2001 best. Maybe I'll love the C-HR but not if it continues to look so similar to a wacky Juke.

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrock View Post
RAV4 Hybrid's 34/31/33 MPG ratings are a little disappointing to me -- was hoping for numbers closer to a magic 40. It's not dramatically better than what the Highlander Hybrid gets with V6 (28/27/27) or a gas-only RAV4 (24/31/26) but at least the "base" price stays under $30k, unlike the stratospheric Highlander Hybrid ($48k to start?? Seriously, Toyota??). Makes me wonder if the XLE trim levels are completely identical across gas and hybrid, saving differences in powertrain...
Well, overall 33 mpg in the hybrid vs the 25 mpg I'm getting now with my ICE-only powerplant without sacrificing power is pretty good. That's around 25% improvement in overall mpg for me.

Now... as you say, lets see how the trim lines play out as they affect price. My only wish is there was a true "base" version without: power lift gate, power seats, alloy wheels, dual climate control. Knock another $4K USD off the XLE hybrid sticker price and this Luddite would be thrilled, lol.

But meanwhile, in reality, I'm glad Toyota is keeping the up front cost for the hybrid this low. It's a story worth following, IMO, and will be interesting to see how sales for hybrid vs gas play out.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:48 PM
R4W Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
Well, overall 33 mpg in the hybrid vs the 25 mpg I'm getting now with my ICE-only powerplant without sacrificing power is pretty good. That's around 25% improvement in overall mpg for me.

Now... as you say, lets see how the trim lines play out as they affect price. My only wish is there was a true "base" version without: power lift gate, power seats, alloy wheels, dual climate control. Knock another $4K USD off the XLE hybrid sticker price and this Luddite would be thrilled, lol.

But meanwhile, in reality, I'm glad Toyota is keeping the up front cost for the hybrid this low. It's a story worth following, IMO, and will be interesting to see how sales for hybrid vs gas play out.
It IS great that Toyota kept the "hybrid tax" down for the RAV4, but yeah, limiting it to the XLE trim level is an easy way for them to pad the profit with pre-bundled options.

On the MPG end of things a plain-Jane CX-5 can get 26/35 and CR-V 27/34 without being hybrids.

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrock View Post
It IS great that Toyota kept the "hybrid tax" down for the RAV4, but yeah, limiting it to the XLE trim level is an easy way for them to pad the profit with pre-bundled options.

On the MPG end of things a plain-Jane CX-5 can get 26/35 and CR-V 27/34 without being hybrids.
At least Toyota did us a favor and provided slightly better HP and torque on the RAV4, likely at lower RPM's too. It is also AWD, which could probably explain a 1-3 MPG drop on both city and highway driving.

Updated 2016 Toyota RAV4 and New RAV4 Hybrid Prices Announced €“ News €“ Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
With the CVT and its unspecified nickel-metal-hydride battery pack, the hybrid is good for 194 horsepower and 206 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.hybridcars.com/2016-rav4-...w-first-drive/
As debuted on the Lexus NX, the RAV4 Hybrid gets a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine paired with electric motor.

The engine’s contribution is 112 horsepower at 5,700 rpm, 206 pounds-feet torque at 4,100. The motor kicks in 141 horsepower (105 kilowatts) at 4,500 rpm in front, 199 pounds feet torque, and the independent rear motor can supply 67 horsepower (50 kilowatts) at 4,608 rpm.

A sealed NiMh 244.8-volt battery under the rear seat serves as the system energy storage, and total output for the merged gas-electric powertrain is 194 horsepower. This compares favorably with 176 horses for the gas-only versions.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbauer View Post
I'm looking forward to see them in the flesh...even if by photos for now. This 2016 RAV4 Hybrid just might lure me away from Subaru.

When will the US site have specs and prices for the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid?
Wondering which Subaru you have. I'm debating between a Crosstrek, which drives like my current Forester, or moving to a Rav4 for size and tech safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page