Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 hybrid ice/snow performance testing video

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
Appears the RAV4 did well against others..

#4 ·
Yeah, sounds like a PR video sneakily just testing tire quality mainly. If so, I hate tests like these, because they don't tell us much at all about the cars. Anyhoo, this is what we have:

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
2016 Chevy Equinox AWD LT
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4
2016 Honda C-RV AWD EX

Stopping on ice 30-0 MPH:
Toyota RAV4: 240 feet
Subaru Forester: 269 feet
Chevy Equinox: 278 feet
Jeep Cherokee: 300 feet
Honda CR-V: 314 feet

Acceleration on split snow and ice 0-100 feet:
Toyota RAV4: 4.8 s
Jeep Cherokee: 5.1 s
Honda CR-V: 5.3 s
Subaru Forester: 5.3 s
??? Where is the Chevy? Did it do better?

Cornering on snow:
Toyota RAV4: 0.40 G
Chevy Equinox: 0.37 G
Jeep Cherokee: 0.37 G
Honda CR-V: 0.34 G
Subaru Forester: 0.31 G

And 7 more tests we know nothing about.

#5 ·
They have a website, you may gain more information there, or not. I don't think I intended anyone to spend more than a minute commenting on the video, I just posted it because there is virtually nothing out there on winter driving with the RAV4 hybrid and I came across this video. It's something..read into it however deep you want I guess...

#7 ·
Agreed, the tires are the most important variable. Any of the results would be improved with better than stock tires.
And obviously other factors such as engine power and weight affect the results.
But since most buyers aren't going to change tires immediately or modify the vehicle any other way, the tests make sense and are quite useful. I doubt the differences are dramatic enough to change a manufacturer-loyal buyer's mind.

Real-life moving-vehicle testing such as this allows the vehicle's electronic control systems to fully function. That I like. Ramp tests favor "stupid" vehicles.

#8 ·
But since most buyers aren't going to change tires immediately or modify the vehicle any other way, the tests make sense and are quite useful.
I disagree. If it was a summer test on wet and dry roads I might agree. But even then I wouldn't agree that much because tires are still the variable.

In the winter on snow and ice I completely disagree. Regardless of the car, if you're driving in those conditions consistently, you really should be getting winter tires, or in the very least, all weather tires (not all-season).*

We bought new winter tires one week after buying our RAV4 Hybrid. And the only reason we waited a week was because we were shopping around for prices, and then had to wait for the rims to arrive.

And if you're broke enough not to be able to afford a second set of wheels for your new car, you probably shouldn't have bought a new car in the first place.*

*I haven't always used winter tires in winter, but that was was mainly when I was a student driving a beater. Didn't have the money.

#9 ·
I keep the stock tires until they need to be replaced, along with most other folks. Most cars come from the factory with decent, but not great tires. I suspect all these cars tested are the factory tires, so I would think most of the tires are all Close if not all in the same league.

#12 ·
IMO if you're in a cold climate, you need two sets of tires. I also keep the stock tires until they're worn out... for 3-season usage. The fourth season gets dedicated winter tires. It makes an enormous difference, regardless if the car is FWD or AWD. This is especially true for 30-0 braking. AWD doesn't really help for this.

Thanks for posting. You can take it with a grain of salt if you wish. I was just hoping the RAV hybrid was as good as other non-hybrid competitors. Looks like it holds it own. Glad to see Toyota did their homework, well done.
BTW, which winter tires are you running? See my post here.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...rid-ev/213841-hybrid-tires-5.html#post2026034

Eug, note I said "most buyers." You aren't in that category. What percentage of RAV4 Hybrid buyers buy them for their snow/ice capability where they'd even need better than all season tires? A much higher percentage in such areas are gonna buy a "snow vehicle" such as a Subaru or a Jeep and outfit it with winter tires.
And you probably love driving in snow, as do I, (we're getting another 6" of global warming today) but again that wouldn't apply to most people.
I hate driving in the snow. But I live in Toronto. Snow happens, as does ice, as do temps below 7 C. Winter tires aren't just about snow and ice, but also about tire compound temps. Summer tires do poorly in cold even on pavement.

I don't know what proportion of Torontonians get snow tires, but there are a LOT. Not as much as Quebec though, where it's mandatory. Across Canada it's roughly two-thirds. In Ontario, there is also an insurance discount now if you have winter tires, so I suspect the number of Torontonians getting winter tires will increase.

BTW, the RAV4 far outsells the Jeep and Subaru here.

#11 ·
Eug, note I said "most buyers." You aren't in that category. What percentage of RAV4 Hybrid buyers buy them for their snow/ice capability where they'd even need better than all season tires? A much higher percentage in such areas are gonna buy a "snow vehicle" such as a Subaru or a Jeep and outfit it with winter tires.
And you probably love driving in snow, as do I, (we're getting another 6" of global warming today) but again that wouldn't apply to most people.

#13 ·
The 2015 test was pretty much the same, test info included.

Update: Watch the 2015 Toyota RAV4 beat Forester, Cherokee and CR-V in snow - Torque News

AMCI Testing’s primary role for OEMs is as a competitive-product research company. We tell our clients the unbiased truth about where their vehicle stands relative to the competition. Occasionally these comparisons demonstrate significant advantages, which our clients choose to publicize as AMCI Testing Certified claims for marketing and advertising • All of the competitors were procured from authorized dealers • No modifications of any kind were made • All of the vehicles underwent the identical, simultaneous break-in procedure; these were the only miles on the original-delivery tires • Multiple runs were conducted on identically prepared surfaces • The video is an accurate depiction of the performance delivered by each of the vehicles; it is not a depiction of the actual testing as it was conducted - See more at: Update: Watch the 2015 Toyota RAV4 beat Forester, Cherokee and CR-V in snow - Torque News

#14 ·
So in other words, assuming it's the same for 2016, it's a meaningless test for people who actually need to drive in those conditions on a regular basis, and who smart and buy winter tires.

#15 ·
Agreed, the comparative results are meaningful on the stock tires, assuming that's what they used. I did not look up their website to confirm. If fact we don't even know how worn or not the tires were.
Once the owner changes tires whether the 2016s are identical to your 2015 doesn't matter either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.