Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Anybody install a hitch yet?

44K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  nycxbl 
#1 ·
Has anybody install a hitch yet? I am thinking of going the Curt route as that is what I have used in the past. If you have a hitch...how was the install? Pics?

#2 · (Edited)
You can use either a Curt 1-1/4-inch Class II hitch # C12108 or the 2-inch Class III hitch # C13149. There is a installation video on the etrailer site.

The T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector #18578 works for the light hookup. It also has a install video on the etrailer site.

I have installed both on my 2016 Hybrid Rav4 with minor adjustments.

#5 ·
Hmmm... If I don't want the lights, is the install much easier? At this point we have no trailer to pull, nor do we desire to pull a trailer. Ideally, I'd want to have a hitch that requires no modifications to the RAV4 Hybrid.

I'm debating whether or not to use my existing 2" Yakima Kingpin 4 hitch mount bike rack from my old Prius. The reason I went with a 2" hitch was because the bike racks are beefier. The other alternative would just be to invest in a roof rack, which might come in handy in the future if we get the kids out on to ski hills when they get a bit older.

And yes, I really had a 2" hitch on my Prius, but it was only for bikes. However, most rack places wouldn't even install a 2" hitch on such a car. The 2" I got was a custom design specifically for the Prius by a small third party Prius accessories maker.

#7 ·
From this thread I ordered the C13149 2 inch class 3 hitch. Went to install today and found it did not fit as shipped. Just not wide enough to line up with the chassis holes. Close, so I am hoping tomorrow to use my body jack and expand the width of the flanges another 1/2 inch. They appeared to be slightly bend inward. Putting a bolt in once side and then trying to pry the other side wide enough to start the bolt, just could not do it. Otherwise if I am successful to straighten the flanges this hitch should work fine.

#22 ·
What dwrede said, I've had dozens of vehicles with hitch mounted receptacles, the 4 pole flat connectors can get corroded , the flimsy caps eventually come off and don't seal all that well in the first place, I've also had the wiring ripped off by brush growing up in the middle of the track on old logging roads, having the wiring stowed inside except when in use is a great option IMO. I only tow once in a while, so no need to have the wiring out in the elements all the time.

#25 ·
Has anyone done the hitch install and wiring already on the Hybrid 2016?
Do we really need to modify the plastic cover? If so what did you use to cut it?

For the wiring, does it just connect to the wiring harnesses in the back of the vehicle on both the driver and passenger side underneath the wall panels? For a hybrid, is there still wire you need to thread to the front? Or since the battery is in the back you can just connect it to the battery there and the ground? I'm ok with storing the extra wire in the spare tire compartment.

Thanks for your help! I have never installed anything before... so this may be a challenge for me but I appreciate your posts!

Also is there a difference between the T-one wiring harness vs. the Curt? Which one is better?
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Toyota/RAV4/2016/118578.html?vehicleid=201614844
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Toyota/RAV4/2016/C56166.html?vehicleid=201614844

Any good suggestions for a bike rack that connects to the hitch? Or have any of you had any problems with trunk mounting bike racks? Like do they damage the exterior of the car over time?

#26 ·
Did you read this thread, or just post your question without reading it? See dwrede's reply(#16) down the page. I trimmed the plastic cover with metal snips, you only need to remove a corner to allow clearance for the hitch install, it's the same as the 2015. I installed the Curt C56166 on my 2015, will use it on the Hybrid as well.

#27 ·
I did read through the entire thread but just want some more clarification on installing on the Hybrid. If anyone has photos of where they cut the plastic or how they installed the wiring to battery, I'd really appreciate it!

I apologize but I have no experience with installing these types of things.

#30 ·
My hitch is a DrawTite 75235. Install will be the same across hitch makers.
This is on my 16 hybrid limited

Step 1 - Take off driver side cover, 2 clips - 1 nut(10mm). Put aside will not be reused

Step 2 - Remove hold down bracket drivers side. Bolts will not be reused bracket will(17mm)

Step 3 - Remove unused exhaust mount bracket(12mm)

Step 4 - Lower exhaust by pulling off rubber bushing(I didn't do this step as I was able to install the hitch in place and tighten the bolt using a swivel socket.

Step 5 - Install hitch - 2 bolts in pass side and 3 in drivers side. Install the closest to the front bolt on the drivers side first, then install the hold down bracket removed in step 2 over the hitch. See pictures (Bolts in my kit were 19mm)

This is all do able in about 20min, I lifted the hitch into place by myself, although a 2nd person would be helpful for that step.

I will be doing the trailer wiring in the next day or 2.

#32 ·
Just ordered the cheapest listing on ebay with the $20 coupon code. Now I just need the trailer lights. :)

eBay.com offers $20 off Orders $100 or more on Auto Parts & Accessories and Automotive Tools & Supplies when you enter promo code CMOTORS616 at checkout and use PayPal as payment. Shipping varies depending on items chosen. T

Draw Tite Trailer Hitch Round Tube 75235 Fits 06 16 Toyota RAV4 | eBay

https://www.etrailer.com/question-152217.html
2 Inch Hitch Recommendation for a 2016 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid Limited
Question:
Can you please give me part number for a 2 inch receiver trailer hitch for a 2016 Rav 4 hybrid limited. Thanks
asked by: Vince

Expert Reply:
I can help you get a 2 inch trailer hitch for your 2016 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid Limited.

I recommend the 2 inch Draw-Tite Hitch # 75235 for your Rav4 Hybrid Limited, because it is a no drill application and the best bang for your buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.