Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Fuse taps and fuse question

16K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  LaoSiFu 
#1 ·
For folks installing fuse taps into their interior fuse box, I assume the fuse box lid will not clear the fuse tap? Are folks just leaving the lid off, making lid modifications or doing something else?

Also, what type of fuse is used in the hybrids interior fuse box, ATM APM blade (guessing a low profile ATM mini blade)? I want to add a few fuse taps for a couple of dash cams. My RAV was delivered to the shipping docks today, hopefully I will get it in a week or so, I just want to have the right hardware to install my dash cams right away.

#4 ·
How did you end up installing your fuse tap? I'm planning to do the same thing and I could use some advise.

Also, what type of dashcam setup are you planning? With the lane departure sensor behind the rearview mirror the mounting options are a bit limited.

#5 · (Edited)
I used these fuse taps: Amazon.com: 2 Pack High Quality STANDARD PROFILE (see pictures) Add a Circuit Line Car Mini ATM Blade Fuse Tap Holder: Home Improvement

I cut a small notch out of the fuse cover slightly larger than the fuse tap so I could reinstall the cover. Looks good and functions well.

I have two of these dash cams for both of my cars, they are excellent. Amazon.com: KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 1920*1080 165 Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS, G-Sensor & WDR Superior Night Mode: Cell Phones & Accessories

I mounted the cam right behind the mirror to were I do not see it in the drivers seat. I also painted the Crome black, you hardly notice the camera from the outside, blends right in with the TSS camera.

I will take a picture of it in the morning for you.

#7 ·
Nice pics!

You used a standard profile fuse tap? Are the fuses actually the low-profile type? (I'm not sure what that type is. Possibly ATM APS?) Would that have worked better or is there no difference when using a tap?

The position you choose for the dashcam certainly seems to be the logical choice. Placing it to the right of the sensor behind the rearview mirror positions it out of the drivers view. Did you think about trying to conceal the cable behind the sensor housing? (Not sure if that is even possible.) Your install looks very nice!

Are those LED map lights?

#8 ·
Yes, I bought exactly what is in the link above. The low profile type did not really fit well in the Toyota fuse box and would not allow me to put the fuse cover back on. I am really happy with this setup. I cut a small notch into the fuse cover, installed the cover and then plugged in the fuse tap for both my RAV4 and Highlander.

The dash cam wires are routed into the headliner. The wires between the headliner and dash cam could be zip tied or something like that to the cameras mount, but you would be putting strain on the connectors. It's only a few inches of exposed wire that looks fairly organized IMO. Plus it allow for quick camera removal from the mount if needed. The suction cup does not seal to the black dotted pattern that is part of the windshield. I put a very thin fine layer of clear silicone around the outer edge of the inner cup to seal the suction. Worked very well, looks good and isn't going anywhere.

Yes, all interior lights are LED. Also I changed out my fog lights with VX3 H11 LED bulbs from VLEDS.com, killer bulbs that are just as bright as a normal headlight. The LED headlights are already awesome, but paired with these fog lights, awesome.

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips Wheathead!

I've been thinking about changing the fog lights to LEDs. I'll take a look at VLEDS.com.

How did you get the 2 map light lens off the change the bulbs? I've been trying to get mine off but perhaps I'm doing it wrong or not appling enough force. I don't want to break them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.