Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

ECO mode vs. Normal mode

67K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  pico 
#1 · (Edited)
I have yet to use the ECO mode on my new Hybrid and I have just over 900 miles on it. As a matter of fact, I have just started to read the manual in depth and I was reading the part on the different modes that you can select and their function and starting today, I was planning to give the ECO mode a try while driving around town. From other owners perspective, have you noticed a fuel savings by using the ECO mode in the city and do you use it also on the highway? Do you lose any power and acceleration on the interstate, especially when getting on it from an on-ramp when in ECO mode? Any noticeable difference in the AC when in ECO mode? I suppose that I could answer some of these by experimenting myself, but I was just wondering what I can expect.

#2 ·
I read up about the car before we purchased. I switched it into ECO mode during the test drive and it has been in eco mode since then, except for a few tests in normal mode and sport mode:laugh I drive mostly highway, about 90% so I am surprised I am getting the average I am getting. I drive with the flow of traffic mostly. The drive to work is mostly downhill so when I get there I am usually averaging 41 mpg, but going home is uphill so it balances out. I do exactly 160 miles a day so I can say the car is awesome on long trips, comfortable, and you can get great efficiency in ECO mode. Enjoy!:D

#3 ·
The only difference is in the mapping of the throttle response. IOW you have to push the pedal farther to get the same response. This is a fly-by-wire system, so its just an electronic shift in the throttle curve. ECO mode gives you much greater throttle control, particularly at lower speeds, making it easier to manage the hybrid system state. That means its easier to put the system into EV mode.

So it doesn't directly give you higher MPG per se, but it gives you greater capability to achieve that. When using speed control, it makes no difference. At highway speeds in general, it makes much less difference.

More notable is the effect of ECO mode on the HVAC system, which does result in less energy use. The HVAC system should be in Auto mode to benefit from that.

#4 ·
After owning the car for a couple of weeks, running it in normal and sport, I put the car in eco and have pretty much left it there. The only thing I have noticed is that heating of the vehicle is more limited in eco mode. Been in auto ac most of the time, but on a chillier day I noticed the heat was slow to come and not in great volume which changed when I put the vehicle back in normal mode.

#15 ·
I am new to the forum, having just purchased a RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Very interested in the experiences of others. Curious about, your saying you put it in standard mode. I see three buttons: EV, Eco, and Sport. Did I miss one? Thanks

#17 ·
I was keeping mine in eco since i bought it. Then recently i changed to sport when i needed a little more get up and go.

I've noticed staying in eco in the city helps mpg a lot. But on the highway it seems to drag it down. I usually put it in sport when i'm getting on the highway. It allows me to get up to speed quicker and maintain the speed easier. Thus giving me a little better mpg.

The first time i put it in Sport, i was like WHOA, where did all this power come from? lol

#21 ·
Is there any chance the driving modes are also changing the shift points? I know it is ECVT but the two motors and ICE work together to create the drive output. It would seem simple for the computer to change the speed ratios they work to impact the drive experience.

Read then play with the demo at Toyota Prius - Power Split Device and imagine the computer adjusting preset shift points for the mode you select. Set MG2 impacts the speed of MG1 as the ICE varies. This could change the power produced by MG1 to be greater in ECO mode and less in Sport mode.

Not well explained I know but it has been on my mind for a while and I thought I would blurt it out before forgetting again...

#23 ·
The same theory works without shift points. Driving modes could send slightly different parameters to the eCVT computer program altering how power is applied to MG2 and the ICE across the entire variable range. To me Sport feels more different than being in ECO and putting my foot to the floor. Without knowing for sure how it works thinking the only adjustment driving modes make is to throttle is not giving Toyota Engineers and programmers much credit.

#24 ·
There is a small amount of restriction at full throttle in ECO mode, but its not going to be noticed unless you're pulling a trailer up a hill at 80MPH.

This is an argument that's been going on for 20 years with the hybrids. You can believe it or not but the only real difference is the throttle mapping.

#25 ·
...in addition to other points mentioned like throttle response difference, Eco also effects A/C ferocity...all done to optimize mpg.

#28 ·
IMO there's a huge difference between ECO and regular mode. Unfortunately I don't think MPG is one of them.

Yes if you floor it, you'll get roughly the same acceleration in both modes, but ECO mode makes the car really slouchy and slow to respond. It doesn't have a progressive response like it does in regular mode, instead it seems to split power levels into four sections. The first third of pedal travel, the powertrain will do everything it can to stay in EV mode. If you give it some more it'll skip between ECO and PWR, then some more it'll skip to PWR and if you floor it, it'll go into full PWR mode. The power delivery isn't progressive, instead it's delivered in steps, and you need alot of throttle modulation to get more power.

Although the only difference is the mapping, I find myself spending more time accelerating in ECO mode than I do in regular mode. As a result, I spend less time in EV mode... I prefer accelerating briskly (without having to mash the pedal down in ECO mode) and modulating the throttle to stay in EV mode.

The car is also much more enjoyable to drive in regular mode, the throttle response makes all the difference.

So my ECO button is going to be gathering dust it seems.

#31 ·
Do you notice a considerable difference in the MPG between normal, sport, and eco modes? I'm curious because someone on a Honda forum had put his HRV in normal, then done the exact same drive in eco and saw no difference at all. Different companies, different systems, etc... but it got me wondering how much of a difference there actually is.

#32 ·
People have done that and very little if any difference has been reported. Fact of the matter is, people generally drive in the same manner no matter which mode they are in. They just alter their throttle input etc. for their manner of driving so essentially it's the same result. I drive exclusively in sport mode so I put in less throttle input than in normal to drive the same, but have better throttle response when it's needed in sport. I look at it as more of a preference than any actual MPG savings.

#39 ·
The hybrid does just about the same thing. Under heavy acceleration, both the front and rear motors are energized.

I never really tried sport mode. I've never really pushed the RAV4, since it feels like a big marshmellow compared to my other car, the thought of pushing the sport button seems silly. Doesn't sport mode have significant ''engine'' braking compared to regular mode?
The major thing the SPORT button does is make the throttle more responsive in the PWR range. In NORMAL, you'll notice it's very difficult to get past the first notch in PWR without putting the pedal to the floor.

#45 ·
In my car eco mode seems to make the needle gravitate around the middle of the eco range even i further press and press on the pedal. This offcourse yields better economy because it filters out erratic throttle input.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.