New Headlight Test .... Ouch! - Page 9 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.4 (2013+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenc62 View Post
How/Where did you install the LED-bar? Can you please send a picture of the front? And also, any particular problems from installing on a Hybrid?
I documented some of the installation process in this thread:

Where to take 12v for aux lights up front?

The LED bar was bought here: Rigid Industries SR2-Series 20" - Merljus.se

Mounting bracket bought here: Extraljusfäste för LED-Extraljusramper Svart - Merljus.se

Basically:
Remove front:
*underneath 6x 10mm bolts, in front of each wheel 1x 10mm + 1 clip
*above front 2x 10mm bolts + 2 Phillips screws + 2 clips (one has a rubber thingie that rests against hood)
*Pop of the front in in front of the wheel on both sides.
*Detach: (my spec) 1 block heater outlet cable, 1 radar/parking sensor cable, 2x fog light cables, 1 washer fluid hose from T-junction (you need to block the hose or drain the tank otherwise washer fluids come on the floor)
* Have a friend stand in front when you pop it off to hold it.
* Measure carefully and drill 4 holes for the mounting bracket
* Mount LED bar on mounting bracket
* Zip tie cable from LED ramp upwards so it come up in the engine bay
* Mount the front
* You can lend "high beam signal" from the drivers side lamp and route that one to the Relay of the ramp, then it comes on with the Stalk either in Auto mode or manual Mode. (Auto mode doesn't work well with a strong upgraded light so well, don't blind others..)
* Optionally: get a wire inside cabin so you can turn it off/on-with-stalk/override on.
* In the relay box take 12V as I did in the other thread (you need to have a fuse on the relay-kit cable.. warning!)
* Ground on the torpedo wall. There are I think 10mm bolts there that works fine.
* Find a flat straight road and adjust it so its level to the ground, there should be no glare in the road with a good ramp if correctly adjusted, the light should go far where its needed.

Don't buy a cheap LED bar because the installation is very cumbersome and those cheap ones get moisture / other problems after a while, that would suck because then you need to undo everything even if the LED bar are under warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torque For This Useful Post:
Ferenc62 (01-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRAV View Post
I specifically went up to the SE trim (had planned on XLE) for the LED headlights, which I find to be stunning. A pure white light that helps you see lots of stuff in the dark...kinda the whole point of headlights. I'm not sure what's missing there.
+1 on the SE LED lights. I too was swayed the direction of the SE because of superior lighting and interior options. I think the LED's are excellent, and I don't see as well at night as I used to 10 years ago (but these do help).

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 PM

This is a really long thread, so not sure if anyone called this out, but I'm not sure what you guys were looking at near the beginning of this post, or if they changed something, but the LED headlights on the SE model and Hybrid Limited got an A rating, which is Acceptable (I can't post a link to it, but if you follow the Toyota RAV4 link and then scroll down and click Headlights, it's the first one at the top). Acceptable is the highest rating that any SUV got. They actually have a good description of why they got that rating. They're very directed headlights, and living on some very steep hills, I have noticed that they don't spread out as well when going up and down the hills as my HID lights on my Subaru, even though they are way brighter. Still, I agree with you that they are the best and brightest headlights I've ever had. Unfortunately, other drivers on the road don't like them quite as much. I often get people flashing their high-beams at me because they think I have the high-beams on.

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowel57 View Post
This is a really long thread, so not sure if anyone called this out, but I'm not sure what you guys were looking at near the beginning of this post, or if they changed something, but the LED headlights on the SE model and Hybrid Limited got an A rating, which is Acceptable (I can't post a link to it, but if you follow the Toyota RAV4 link and then scroll down and click Headlights, it's the first one at the top). Acceptable is the highest rating that any SUV got.
They must have changed it as I remember seeing the 2016 Hybrid Limited's LED lights with a poor rating while the halogens had either an M or an A (can't remember exactly). Now the LEDs have an A for Acceptable while the halogens have an M for Marginal still on the 2016 models...Interesting considering there hasn't been a safety recall or campaign to change anything.

2016 RAV4 Limited Hybrid w/ATP
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The LED system models got the acceptable rating, the halogen systems got the marginal rating. Click Headlights on the left in the link.

Vehicle details

Ratings are given for 4 different headlight variations available for this vehicle.
Trim level(s) • SE trim equipped with Advanced Technology package
• Limited trim
• Limited Hybrid trim

Low-beam headlight type LED projector
High-beam headlight type LED projector
Curve-adaptive? No
Automatically switches between low beams and high beams (high-beam assist)? Yes
Overall rating A

Trim level(s) • XLE trim equipped with Convenience package
XLE Hybrid trim equipped with Convenience package
Low-beam headlight type Halogen projector
High-beam headlight type Halogen projector
Curve-adaptive? No
Automatically switches between low beams and high beams (high-beam assist)? Yes
Overall rating M

2016 Hybrid Limited AWD
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:31 PM

Right, but they didn't used to be acceptable though. The LEDs were rated a red P for Poor when this thread was first made and also as found through the Wayback Machine's archive of the report as captured on November 15th, 2016 where the Halogens were Marginal and the LEDs were Poor: https://web.archive.org/web/20161115...-door-suv/2016.

At some point they changed the report.

post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:40 PM

It looks like the thing that changed was what they deemed to be "acceptable" glare. Instead of just a Yes/No which resulted in a poor previously is now a percentage of glare that exceeded their threshold which is "acceptable" today. Side-by-side from the report as it is seen today (left) and as it was in November (right) is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png LED Headlight Report.PNG (80.5 KB, 17 views)

post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
To reiterate my original reply, the LED headlights on my Limited HV are the best I've ever used and that's in over 50 years of driving, I think they finally got a closer result to reality if they retested or corrected their error, the only feature I don't like is the auto high beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
+1, best headlights I've ever used!

2016 Hybrid Limited AWD
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:49 AM

can we buy led bulb replacement if these burn out on our limited hybrids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page