Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Working Techstream database

26K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  ruggb 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am a new 2016 Hybrid Limited owner. I have tried installing Techstream software but got malware instead. Being an ex Touareg owner, I remembered that they had a database of people who had a working version of software and would help others in their respective areas out. I am wondering if there would be any interest here in the Rav4 Forum to do the same thing. BTW I am in the south burbs of Chicago and would like to adjust the number of turn signal blinks. I would be interested in any thoughts members have on the matter.

#2 ·
The Techstream software and cable I bought on Amazon works fine, I too got a Trojan alert when I installed the MVCI driver, but I just disabled the AV and installed it any way, it's on a dedicated cheap XP laptop that I only use for Techstream, so no problem, many here think the detection is a false positive.

#3 ·
Yep, the driver does produce a false positive--I had to exclude it in Malwarebytes.

#8 ·
Techstream interfaces thru the OBDII port, I don't think OBDII adapters like Carista can access the system like Techstream can tho, Carista does have access to many customization options tho, there's a list of the options posted here, do a search for Carista.

#15 ·
#27 ·
The first one says that, but it also comes with a CD which will include the software as well as the driver, both of mine did, one cable didn't work, so I returned it and got another that works fine on XP 32-bit. The second link clearly states it comes with software. If you read reply #4 on this thread, you'll see it works on x64 systems as well with work arounds. Use the search box for Techstream, there are many discussions on it.

New Version Mini VCI TIS Techstream 16PIN OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA | eBay

Package Included:
1 x Mini VCI 16 Pin Cable
1 x Software and Drivers CD (8.0 version)

NOTE : The Vic Only Work On windows XP

#34 ·
All my computer are Windows 10 64Bit. (though I do have one dual boot with Win 7.) From what I read so far the cables come with software that is only 32 bit Win XP compatible.

Some questions:

Is there a version that is a straight install for Win 10 64? If not, anyone have it running on Win 10 64 and able to provide the install process? I've read that the software is used to program keys, but I've seen answers that say it can't. Anyone have a definitive answer?

The ads for the cable say they are only compatible with 16 pin Toyota connectors. Is that what I have in my Rav4Hybrid Limited?

Best.

#35 ·
#36 ·
I have a Windows XP VM on my MacAir that I used for VCDS (Volkswagen/Audi car interface) - decided to try it out with Techstream and can confirm that it works beautifully with V.10.30.029. However - there are a few caveats:

* It appears that 10.30.029 expired on 9/16 soo.... you'd need to roll back system clock
* You will need to kill the network interface since the moment you fire up techstream and try to sync with a car, it dials out to TIS and then denies you since the software "expired"
* When you kill your network interface, you have 30 sync attempts... that includes failed attempts due to interface (cable) issues!

#37 ·
Seems Like I got Techstream installed on my Surface 4 Pro 64. Unfortunately, I can't connect. Choosing "connect to a vehicle" brings up a window for a "critical update" and the only option is "Update." Later and Cancel are grayed out. Choosing update takes youth to the official Toyota Dealer support site that requires information I don't have. Any suggestions?

#39 ·
Nothing about evaluation. I do have subscription expiration of 4999D at the lower left.

When I start the program and select "connect to a vehicle", a "critical update" window pops up with "Update" as the only choice. I found this only happens with internet access. Obviously it checks online and wants to download updates. If I disable internet access, I get the message that without "a network connection, you can only connect XX times before software registration is necessary." Where XX starts at 30 and counts down each time I try to connect. When I accept and close that window, it tries to connect, but eventually gives the error S302-05 "Unable to connect to VIM."

If I switch back on network access, start TS, then quit, restart again without network the count resets back to 30.

The light on the MVCI cable shows green throughout.

#41 ·
My experience is that the Firmware Update Tool is the item AV is not happy with. It is reacting to the function that overwrites the firmware memory. Not that some TS distributions do not contain malware, but any valid one with the FUT exe will likely trigger a reaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.