Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Why are the Hybrid Systems excluded from the scheduled maintenance process?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  WYanes 
#1 ·
After the 10K Toyota service check of my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid, I was told that the hybrid systems are NOT included in any scheduled maintenance. My RAV4 is almost a year new and these early service checks find minor issues that are fixed before becoming major issues. I was told that Hybrid Systems would only be serviced at customer request with a specific Hybrid issue. I am not certain that I am qualified to identify any hybrid issue. :confused: What is a hybrid issue?
To say that I am surprised is an understatement. I was not aware of the Hybrid maintenance exclusion at time of purchase. The Hybrid Systems are an integral aspect of the vehicle propulsion. The Hybrid Systems are integral aspects of Toyota promotional campaigns. Why are the Hybrid Systems excluded from the scheduled maintenance process?

#2 ·
The reason I went with the Hybrid is because if its proven record of reliability. Some people still tell me that I should be worried about batteries, but I completely ignore them because their concerns are fear based, not based in facts at all.
The hybrid system is covered extensively for 8 years or 100,000 miles. This can be found in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide or online.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Hybrid Warranty

Our hybrid vehicles have set the standard for technology, efficiency and drivability. We think the world's most popular hybrids should have the warranties to match.

On top of our basic coverage, we offer:

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage[1] Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details.

Powertrain Coverage[1] 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).

Rust-Through Coverage[1] 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions Coverage:[1] Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details.

#4 ·
The hybrid components consist of rechargeable batteries, electric motors, and electronic controllers. None of these are normal wear parts so there is no routine maintenance required. They may fail which would generate codes but "servicing" them would be akin to servicing your radio or blower motor. Certain things you fix when they fail, others like gasoline engines, you service to keep them from failing.

Reactions: MTL_Sienna
#5 ·
The only thing that needs any attention will be the coolant for the Hybrid Inverter. You will need to replace that after a certain period of time. I own a 2012 Camry Hybrid so I am aware of this. Most other thing on a hybrid vehicle do not require as much maintenance. The brake pad for the front of the camry is still at 70% after close to 90,000km. Regular brake services are highly recommended.

#6 ·
Being slightly less US-centric, the Warranty on UK (and probably EU models) is 5 years for everything other than paint/corrosion which is 7 years. One of the major services includes a "transmission" lubricant change.

#8 ·
Here in Norway:
Car 5 years 160 000 km.
Corrosion 12 years. New cars are locally treated before delivery, due to harsh winter environment.
Hybrid System 10 years.
But don't be fooled, we pay for this. It's not a free lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.