Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

5th Gear Popping out Self-Repair

372K views 282 replies 98 participants last post by  jiggseob 
#1 ·
[This thread is referenced in our Mods/Maint section 8)]

I probably should wait until the job is actually completed, but I intend to replace the parts required to eliminate the 5th gear popping out problem on my '97 RAV4.

Mine started popping out a few months ago, but recently the problem has gotten worse. It now pops out almost as soon as I put it in gear.

I visited with a mechanic who replaced the parts without removing the engine and transaxle from the vehicle. He did it by going in through the left (driver's side) fender well. He loosened the left engine mount to improve access, but indicated that once the cover is removed from the end of the transmission, all of the parts needing replacement are readily accessible, and slide off the shaft following the removal of a retainer.

The parts are on order from my local Toyota dealer, who matched the available on-lilne price (with 7% sales tax -- just under $300).

If successful, I will document the replacement on this site, with photos and insights.

If you have any insights, please relate them to me.

Stay tuned, and wish me luck.

See less See more
#131 ·
Isn't there a shim that you can fit to stop the end float in the gear rather than fit a new gear at the price Toyota charge?

The usual cause of jumping out of gear is excessive endfloat: on the overrun the gear moves far enough on the shaft to knock the synchro against the selector and bump it out of gear.

#133 ·
Rav mechanic who has experience with this job in San Diego or Palm Springs area?

Hi,

My wife has the 5th gear popping issue, and got quoted $7500 by the dealer in LA who said they'd have to drop the transmission, and cut the muffler and exhaust pipes etc. We have a reliable mechanic that we could ask to do it, but just in case anyone on this forum knows someone in the San Diego County or Palm Springs /LA area who is also reliable and has done this job before, much appreciated if you could reply with the name of the place.

Ordered the following parts (based on this thread) from 1stToyotaparts.com for $244:

Sleeve, 33395-42010 (old was -12021);
Gear, 33336-42040 (old was -12061);
Bearing, 90364-28023 (no change);
Hub, 33393-42010 (old was -12022).

thanks..

#136 ·
Found transmission mechanic in So Cal.

We got lucky. Toyota dealers in the area were unwilling to do anything but replace the whole transmission which would have been very expensive (7K+) because of the rust under my car. I finally heard of a transmission guy in Vista California who said he could do it. We ordered the parts online, about $250. and were charged $225. for the fix. It runs great now. So, if you live in the southern CA area, the place is Vista Transmission on Redlands Ave. in Vista. Vista is north San Diego county. I've also learned that the Toyota dealer in Tacoma, WA will do it. Good luck.

Hi,

My wife has the 5th gear popping issue, and got quoted $7500 by the dealer in LA who said they'd have to drop the transmission, and cut the muffler and exhaust pipes etc. We have a reliable mechanic that we could ask to do it, but just in case anyone on this forum knows someone in the San Diego County or Palm Springs /LA area who is also reliable and has done this job before, much appreciated if you could reply with the name of the place.

Ordered the following parts (based on this thread) from 1stToyotaparts.com for $244:

Sleeve, 33395-42010 (old was -12021);
Gear, 33336-42040 (old was -12061);
Bearing, 90364-28023 (no change);
Hub, 33393-42010 (old was -12022).

thanks..

#138 · (Edited)
I bought access to Toyota's electronic parts catalogue and searched these parts with my car's Vin.
And looks like the parts needed are same mentioned 3333642030, 9036428023, 3339542011

Let's see how I'll manage with the problem.

--edit--

Problem solved. Thanks to this thread and starter of it, I managed to replace needed parts.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...er-moves-when-throttle-pushed.html#post915524

#139 ·
I replaced mine and took it for a test drive. It will not come out of 5th gear anymore, but I can still feel a quarter inch movement forward when letting off the peddle.

I replaced the gear, sleeve and needle bearing.

I have a feeling it is going to come back.....:wall

When others have done the self repair, does it feel rock solid like all the other gears? Should I go back in and do the fork maybe?

#140 ·
im about to do this fix as my gearbox has developed this annoying prob, could someone verify this is an up to date list of required parts please? many thanks

33336-42040 Fifth Gear
33393-42010 Hub Sleeve
33395-42012 Hub Sleeve
33397-12011 Synchro Ring
90364-28013 Needle Bearing
33392-12010 Spring
33392-12020 Spring

#141 ·
Hello all you guys, and first of all, excuse for my poor English. I'm from Spain, and have been many years no practicing your language...
I spent years reading your forums, because I'm a proud owner of a 97 Rav4 2.0, and I use to make everything I can on it, and finally I decided to try to repair the 5th gear (popping out). I must said it happens to me since 3 years ago..., but in the three different places I asked for a soltution they told me several thousand euros to fix it. A new or a secondhand complete gearbox were the solutions..., now I know it can be easier than that, and much more cheaper.
I have a couple of questions: the three screws needed for the hub puller are standard? Do they come with the puller kit or I need to order them specific for Rav 4.1? The second question: is a pusher necessary? Is a rubber hammer or a metal hammer with a piece of wood to protect the hub from the hits not enought to put it back?
Thanks for your help. I'll told how goes everything when I'll began the operation. By the way, as I'll buy 5th gear in a scrapping (don't know if that is the name for used vehicle parts) I think I will mount the hub with the sincronizer. It's almost for free ina a scrapping (taking it out by myself) and much easyer than mounting/dis-mounting it, don't you think? Thnaks a lot for your help and regards from Spain.

#145 ·
This page just made my week, my 5th gear started popping out months ago on my 2003 rav... Drove using 4th for a while trying to avoid an expensive repair... if i knew earlier would of been nothing. Found this page wandering around. Check if it was applying to later models and apparently it was so Got the parts number somewhere in earlier posts, order them, red the DIY infos, went to buy some gear oil and got started, sweared a lil trying to pry off the retainer,then everything went like a charm... By the way the maintenance manual says we should change gear oil every year or two... looking at what came out of her thats probably a good idea... i think there was some missing too didnt mesure exactly how much but was dem sure not full. Anyway works great now total cost 375 oil included took me an afternoon. Pretty dem good compare to other options. Thanks to this forum for making this info available.

#147 ·
My Rav is a '98. At the time i had over 180k. I got mine from the dealer and it certainly wasn't that much. Maybe because yours is newer and maybe a little more complicated than the older model. I would have to pull my receipts but I think the parts were about $200. I did the work myself.

#153 ·
I used all my old parts except gear and retaining ring. However the gear diameter was bigger than the old one. I found there was a modification to the gear so I had to buy a bigger spilt bearing to take up the slack. I now have 302k and everything is still working fine. (Double the mileage of the original gear).

#156 ·
You have a Gen2 Rav4. I did my 1996 4WD clutch this year. The final problem I had before the Transmission would separate was a (support bar w/1 bolt at each end) which ran between the underside of the intake manifold and the lower engine block. Correct, its not connected to the the 4WD transaxle, but once removed, it seem to provide enough room to wiggle the lower transaxle away from the engine. I haven't seen any picture or references of the support bar in either the OEM or Chilton's repair manuals.
Pat me on the back, I replaced the clutch without removing the engine. But not without a vehicle lift, engine holder and a tranny lift to carry its weight when wiggling it loose and reinstallation. I was wishing the whole time it was a 2WD, which would've been a lot easier than the 4WD transaxle. Good luck.

#159 ·
SO i got the thing apart..yup..2 bolts on the engine side on the motor mount side connected to the gear box on that side was the only thing keeping it from separating..once those came loose..BOOM right off..yeah..i was able to do it with no engine removal..just supporting weight with jacks and jackstands etc..hell of a job on a 4wd..wont ever do it again..ill stick to working on rear wheel drive transmissions ..and easy ones at that..haha..man that was a pain in the butt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.