Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota Building Plants in Mexico, China; Seeks Growth Again

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JuneBug 
#1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/15/business/ap-as-japan-toyota.html?_r=0

TOKYO — Toyota is building two new auto plants, one in Mexico and the other in China, ending a 3-year hiatus from such ambitions that the Japanese automaker voluntarily imposed on itself after massive recalls.

Toyota Motor Corp. announced Wednesday it will invest $1 billion in the plant in Guanajuato, Mexico, creating 2,000 jobs, to make the Corolla subcompact — one of Toyota's biggest hits.

Production is to start in 2019, with annual output estimated at 200,000 vehicles. That will consolidate Corolla production for North America in that plant and Toyota's plant in Blue Springs, Mississippi.

Corolla production will end at its Ontario, Canada, plant, which will instead focus on more expensive mid-size vehicles, Toyota said, without giving specifics. The plant now produces Lexus models, the RAV4 sport-utility vehicle and the Matrix hatchback, in addition to the Corolla.

See less See more
#2 ·
Off topic but I'm glad to say that a new Toyota dealership is being built here locally. The building will be 50,000 square feet but I don't know if that includes shop space or not. It's supposed to open this year but we shall see. I can't wait since it's about 15 minutes away as opposed to the standard 50-60 mile round trip.

#4 ·
That's great news! Maybe a sign that the local economy is improving? I'm lucky, my Toyota dealer is about 3 miles down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.