Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I'm confused about the tire pressure monitoring system in my 2013 LTD.

According to Toyota's website, all 2013 RAV's have the system. The window sticker indicates mine has it.

However, my owner's manual refers to a button to the right and below the steering column that can be pressed to initialize the system or reset it if it has alarmed. I have no such button.

Also, my manual shows a vehicle information screen that will display when you press 'Car' on the info system bezel that will display 'only on models with the tire pressure warning system.' According to the manual, icons appear for all the tires with the actual pressure for each tire. I cannot get that screen to display. When I press 'car' on the bezel, all I get is the fuel mileage, speed, etc. histograms.

Wonder if they made a change from the time the manuals were printed and the cars started rolling off the line ??

Last edited by JuneBug; 03-21-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM

I believe the tpms is now automatic; no more buttons to press like my 12 tacoma.
So once the pressure is 'right' whatever that is, the system adjusts and the warning light is out.
As far a the display audio showing the tire pressures per tire, I found out it wasn't there on my limited either-I get the same screens as you described.
I checked another member who has the full Nav/JBL upgrade and it's not on that Limited either.
Now that all tpms's are direct, I'm thinking about getting a hand held remote reader to use on all my cars.
Anyone got any ideas of a good product please post.
Remember to check your new car tire pressures; they're likely much higher as shipped from the factory, than on the door label.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Wonder if they made a change from the time the manuals were printed and the cars started rolling off the line ??
Yes, the manual also refers to a camera mounted next to the rear view mirror that is supposed to automatically dim your lights and serve as a lane departure warning. These features never made it to the assembly line.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Last edited by JuneBug; 03-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

That's pretty disconcerting to see that these features were not included in the Limited.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "OLIVA - Raise the curtain"
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Yes, the manual also refers to a camera mounted next to the rear view mirror that is supposed to automatically dim your lights and serve as a lane departure warning. These features never made it to the assembly line. And FWIW, no previous RAV4 has ever had a TPMS reset button.
That would be a good feature. I am an old fart and remember my neighbor's huge 1956 Cadillac with the big 'electric eye' on the dash that would dim the lights when another vehicle approached. I have always wondered why that feature could not be available on modern cars.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
However, my owner's manual refers to a button to the right and below the steering column that can be pressed to initialize the system or reset it if it has alarmed. I have no such button.

Also, my manual shows a vehicle information screen that will display when you press 'Car' on the info system bezel that will display 'only on models with the tire pressure warning system.' According to the manual, icons appear for all the tires with the actual pressure for each tire. I cannot get that screen to display. When I press 'car' on the bezel, all I get is the fuel mileage, speed, etc. histograms.

The button is there. I had the same problem trying to find the screen that shows the pressure of all the tires. I thought maybe the dealer forgot to initialize the system when my RAV came in, so I tried it myself. It's a white button that sits in a square cutout just in front of the brake pedal spring. It has a symbol of the TPMS and the word set on it. But it didn't help with the display.

I locked my presents in someone else's car, then I locked my car in someone else's presence.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM

A few weeks before buying my limited I was reading all the manuals on the Toyota users website, you should have seen my face when I saw that tpms with individual readings of each tire, I started salivating, what a cool feature! Then I noticed something, the hard buttons on the side of the display on the manual are not the same as some of the picture i saw online! (Maybe this is a Canadian feature? Anybody can confirm?) I even made sure of it on my test drive, and yes, that feature is missing. What a shame. It wasn't a deal breaker, I still bought it, and still love it. As far as the tpms reset button, weezy can u take pictures?
#8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluzky View Post
A few weeks before buying my limited I was reading all the manuals on the Toyota users website, you should have seen my face when I saw that tpms with individual readings of each tire, I started salivating, what a cool feature! Then I noticed something, the hard buttons on the side of the display on the manual are not the same as some of the picture i saw online! (Maybe this is a Canadian feature? Anybody can confirm?) I even made sure of it on my test drive, and yes, that feature is missing. What a shame. It wasn't a deal breaker, I still bought it, and still love it. As far as the tpms reset button, weezy can u take pictures?
Here are some pics.. The button is in a hard to get to place with my camera. (And it's a black button, not white like I said in my last post. My memory is awful.) It's just to the left of the empty square hole. The big spring is connected to the brake pedal. It's almost straight up from the very left edge of the pedal.
All pics are straight up from the floormat facing the front of the RAV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010012.jpg (177.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (122.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (234.1 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006.jpg (249.1 KB, 254 views)

I locked my presents in someone else's car, then I locked my car in someone else's presence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pweezil For This Useful Post:
iceman05 (10-28-2013), Kingoftheroad (10-18-2013), Larry73 (11-19-2013)
#9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That would be a good feature. I am an old fart and remember my neighbor's huge 1956 Cadillac with the big 'electric eye' on the dash that would dim the lights when another vehicle approached. I have always wondered why that feature could not be available on modern cars.
I have that very feature on my 2010 Lexus RX. The small "eye" is located behind the rearview mirror.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

well....there it is!!!!

Pweezil is correct.... However this tpms button couldn't be in a more obscure place. It literally faces the floor.

I just adjusted my tire pressure on my Limited, so I'll use the button, but it's apparent owners aren't supposed to find this easily....
Is it just for use in extreme circumstances? Or because of the drivers knee airbag placement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page