When to use ECO/SPORT modes - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AWDios Send a message via MSN to AWDios Send a message via Yahoo to AWDios
Most people seem to not know this about sport mode, but it also engages the AWD more in turns. It will actually send more power to the rear outside wheel, and if you hold the steering at the same angle, you will turn sharper in sport mode than in normal or eco.

http://www.pstoc.org
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
Sales and Leasing Consultant - Toyota of Kirkland
http://www.facebook.com/rogercarrTOK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Was playing around with Eco and Sport modes while moderately accelerating at 25-35 MPH. Started in Eco mode then switched it off, so it went to standard mode, the engine made a very noticeable increase in power, like stepping on the gas. When accelerating in normal mode and switching on Sport mode, the engine increased in power but not as noticeably. Will have to try switching modes the other way around, accelerating in standard mode then switching to Eco. Bet it will feel like letting off the gas an unpleasant amount. Should rename the modes, pooch, ok, and frisky.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Been testing normal mode vrs Eco mode. On the freeway in Eco mode I get less mpg than normal mode. Get about 22 mpg in Eco and 25 mpg in normal. Any body else seeing this?

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-adept View Post
Been testing normal mode vrs Eco mode. On the freeway in Eco mode I get less mpg than normal mode. Get about 22 mpg in Eco and 25 mpg in normal. Any body else seeing this?
Thats normal .. cause i guess your reaching for power thats not there.. then your flawww it and ..boom there goes to fuel
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Freeway Eco I get about 28/29, thats open freeway mind, stop start commute can be 22. There's no glorious "if this then that" because no two journeys are the same, you get what you get.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM

owning for more than a year now my driving generally falls into three modes:

ECO mode - 98% of the time; good gas mileage and does a great time taming my handicap, being born with a 120 kilo right foot.

Normal mode - 1.9% of the time; fun zippy time after a good day or need to get there when i should have left 10 minutes ago.

Sport mode - 0.1% of the time; "Sh$%, Sh$%, Sh$%, GoGoGo!"<-getting out of the situation i shouldn't have been in in the first place.

2nd time RAV4 owner; 1st Gen, 4th Gen.
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
owning for more than a year now my driving generally falls into three modes:

ECO mode - 98% of the time; good gas mileage and does a great time taming my handicap, being born with a 120 kilo right foot.

Normal mode - 1.9% of the time; fun zippy time after a good day or need to get there when i should have left 10 minutes ago.

Sport mode - 0.1% of the time; "Sh$%, Sh$%, Sh$%, GoGoGo!"<-getting out of the situation i shouldn't have been in in the first place.
I'm almost like that too except: ECO - 25%
Normal - 74.5%
Sport - 0.5%

I have had mine for almost a year this upcoming April 2. I generally drive it in normal, lead foot has left me long ago, but the real test is my big trip to Washington DC next week and back from Woodstock, Ontario. I'll see if I can squeeze the tank to its max of over 625km (390 miles). That is my best thus far, but driving it in ECO mode on the highway last summer.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM

My first time in Eco mode kind of freaked me out, press the pedal, and the vehicle sloooowly moves. I understand that's the reason for obtaining great mpg #'s, but iw as just amazed how these fly by wire engine setups can control the drive.
They should have a way to lock that mode for teenage drivers.

2012 Sport V6 4WD SAP (Stolen)
2014 XLE AWD Pyrite Mica

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
Was playing around with Eco and Sport modes while moderately accelerating at 25-35 MPH. Started in Eco mode then switched it off, so it went to standard mode, the engine made a very noticeable increase in power, like stepping on the gas. When accelerating in normal mode and switching on Sport mode, the engine increased in power but not as noticeably. Will have to try switching modes the other way around, accelerating in standard mode then switching to Eco. Bet it will feel like letting off the gas an unpleasant amount. Should rename the modes, pooch, ok, and frisky.
I know that's how it "feels" but it's not really making any extra power. Just as an example, driving in normal mode, if you push the peddle half way down, you'll get half throttle out of the DBW throttle. In Eco mode, if you push the peddle half way down, you'll get quarter throttle. In sport mode, at half movement of the throttle, you'll get three quarter throttle at the engine. In my experience, if I'm in normal mode, the car feels, well, normal! In Eco mode, it feels relatively dead off the line but as I continue to push the gas peddle, at some point, it comes alive and moves out, relatively speaking. In Sport mode, I start off and it jumps right out there but, as I continue to push the peddle down, it feels like it kind of falls on it's face. Bottom line it, I think full throttle is full throttle regardless of what mode you're in. It revs to redline and shifts gears and it's giving us what it can give us. The difference is only in how it feels coming off the line.

I like to keep track of my fuel economy. I always maintain a fuel log in my vehicles and I don't add fuel without filling the tank, resetting the trip meter and doing the math. I've run eight tanks of fuel through the car so far in normal and eco modes. I'm working on the same right now in sport mode. I'll work up the numbers and post them up when I'm done with come comments and observations. This is "not" scientific in any way. It'll just be a report on my experiences so far with my Rav4.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
The Following User Says Thank You to Intrepid175 For This Useful Post:
lniniaa (10-11-2015)
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You maybe able to get better gas mileage by not using cruise. Cruise can get aggressive using a lot of throttle trying to maintain speed going up hill. By holding the throttle more or less steady and letting the speed build up going down hill and having it gradually slow down going up hill may get better mileage. Around here the hills are rather short with good inclines that causes cruise to hold back, and even drop a gear, trying to keep from going too fast down hill, and then charging up the other side in 4th or 5th. Can't be good for gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page