When to use ECO/SPORT modes - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
You maybe able to get better gas mileage by not using cruise. Cruise can get aggressive using a lot of throttle trying to maintain speed going up hill. By holding the throttle more or less steady and letting the speed build up going down hill and having it gradually slow down going up hill may get better mileage. Around here the hills are rather short with good inclines that causes cruise to hold back, and even drop a gear, trying to keep from going too fast down hill, and then charging up the other side in 4th or 5th. Can't be good for gas mileage.
Absolutely agree with that. The Rav4 is geared pretty high in 5th and 6th. It takes nothing to drop down to 5th and not much more to drop to 4th, then comes the surge to catch back up. It isn't helping economy and it's uncomfortable for passengers, distracting if nothing else. We're lucky in my part of the world in that it's pretty flat. The closest thing to a hill we have is called an overpass. My car will drop to 5th readily enough but it usually doesn't even extinguish the Eco light on the tachometer when it does it. I use my cruise control as much as I can though. I'm really lousy holding speed manually after the first hour or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I couldn't access any other threads that discuss MPG (if you search for something then click on any of the pages of the thread, it just takes you to the forums main page). I was going to report that I used ECO mode for a ~2 hour trip yesterday. On the way down (driving down I-75 in Ohio) I got 28.8 MPG in ECO (forgot to look at the average MPH).

The calculated MPG and my calculation matched for once!

On the way back, I got a readout of 31.6 MPG on the dash but calculated by hand 33.3 MPG. I was shocked! Either of those figures are more than the advertised 29 MPG. I'm sure I must have had a tailwind or something... But still!
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bought my Rav4 last July and drove almost entirely in Eco mode for the first several months to get the maximum gas mileage. I then started to get tired of the 'boat anchor' feeling so I began to drive in Standard mode and really didn't notice too much difference in MPG. Now I drive almost entirely in Sport mode for the added oomph it gives the vehicle and I still get relatively the same mileage. I have always driven with a very light foot on the accelerator so maybe that's why the MPG always seems to be close to what I was getting in Eco mode at every fill up.

Joe

2013 Rav4 XLE FWD Barcelona Red

Previous Toyota Vehicles: 1972 Corona, 1989 Camry, 1989 MR2 SC, 1997 Rav4, 2003 Matrix XR.
Current Mods: Toyota Bug Deflector, 3M door Edge Guard, 3M Paint Protectant applied to door sills.
Future Mods: Body Side Mouldings, Weathertech Mats, Weathertech Vent Visors

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Rav4 Man View Post
Bought my Rav4 last July and drove almost entirely in Eco mode for the first several months to get the maximum gas mileage. I then started to get tired of the 'boat anchor' feeling so I began to drive in Standard mode and really didn't notice too much difference in MPG. Now I drive almost entirely in Sport mode for the added oomph it gives the vehicle and I still get relatively the same mileage. I have always driven with a very light foot on the accelerator so maybe that's why the MPG always seems to be close to what I was getting in Eco mode at every fill up.
It's probably your light foot that accounts for the small deviation in MPG between the different modes. I know my wife is heavy on the brake. I don't think she is as much on the gas... but heavy braking can also impact your MPG.

I don't know what's typical for us in the RAV. I don't usually drive it. My wife does REALLY short trips (~3mi) and she's been getting 20.x MPG all city. I'm hoping maybe that'll improve if she uses ECO mode, but I'm not sure since ECO doesn't seem to help a hard braker.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 PM

I admit that I drive aggressively but I get very frustrated with how reluctant the transmission is to downshift in standard mode. I feel like it wasn't always like this...not sure if it's wear and tear, or the weather or something else. The car now has about 20k on it.

I use Sport mode all the time in traffic, which for me, is a 50 mile round trip commute every day. It's much faster to downshift and gives me the power I need to change lanes or pass people.

I also like Sport for spirited driving in the city - holding gears and the propensity to downshift keeps it in the power band for stop and go, curves, passing any whatever else.

Eco...I've used it once or twice and doubt I ever will again.

2013 Rav4 Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray/Black, JBL, BSM, RCTA
4300k Morimoto HID, 5000k LED Fogs, LED interior conversion
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 AM

Does anyone know if Sport mode can be selected as default in Techstream?

2013 Rav4 Limited, Gray Metallic, w/o nav, w/o JBL, w/o etune, w/rearview cam, w/Smart Key, w/pwr lift rear door. With Rostra nav.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markga1 View Post
Does anyone know if Sport mode can be selected as default in Techstream?

No it can't.....

-Brian

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD - Barcelona Red
2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD - Silver
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive

The Following User Says Thank You to buerkletucson For This Useful Post:
markga1 (06-13-2014)
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Two comments.

Any difference on fuel economy in ECO/NORM/SPORT mode will be most pronounced in city driving or on mountain / winding roads that require frequent acceleration / deceleration. During normal highway / interstate driving with long stretches at constant speed there will be no difference. It's plain physics.

Second, I think one of the reasons that Toyota did not include the option to keep SPORT as default option upon start-up is because it may (will) induce premature wear on the rear AWD clutch. The AWD system that the RAV has was originally designed to be used literally for a few seconds at a time, with 99.9% of driving done in FWD mode. Because SPORT mode sends 10% of torque to rear axle to reduce understeer (i.e. the AWD clutch is only lightly engaged), every time you make a turn in SPORT mode, the rear AWD clutch will be slipping (because front wheel turn a little bit faster than rear wheels on curves). I guess that Toyota has found that the AWD clutch is durable enough to sustain this kind of use for some time, but I suspect it won't last too much if used this way permanently. Toyota has been using the same design for many years so by now they have tons of data regarding reliability and wear. I suspect they concluded that the system is durable enough to survive occasional driving in SPORT mode (at least until the end of the drivetrain warranty period), but is not durable enough to make it a default mode. Let's see what happens once the 2013+ RAVs start passing the 100k miles mark. I wonder how many people who drive mostly in SPORT mode will start having issues with the rear AWD clutch. Only time will tell.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So if you have only fwd and drive in sport mode you should be fine after the warranty period? Is this what you are also saying? Just asking since I have only fwd. I dont drive all the time in sport mode but only saying if I did I would not have a problem?
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhog View Post
So if you have only fwd and drive in sport mode you should be fine after the warranty period? Is this what you are also saying? Just asking since I have only fwd. I dont drive all the time in sport mode but only saying if I did I would not have a problem?
Yes, you're right. My comment only applies to AWD models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page