When to use ECO/SPORT modes - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sport mode 100% of the time.

It's not like it actually makes the car any faster you just don't have to press the gas as far. It acts like a normal car, not like you're trying to drag an anchor behind you. And the steering is noticeably firmer, which is nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
Sport mode 100% of the time.

It's not like it actually makes the car any faster you just don't have to press the gas as far. It acts like a normal car, not like you're trying to drag an anchor behind you. And the steering is noticeably firmer, which is nice.
Well, it actually does do a bit more than just throttle position. It raises the point at which the gear shifts occur and as such the engine is at a higher point on its torque curve when you call for a bit more steam. In effect things are more responsive if for example you're at 2500 rpm in 3rd instead of 1800 in 4th.

2016 AWD Limited, Silver/Gray, Advanced Tech
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Well, it actually does do a bit more than just throttle position. It raises the point at which the gear shifts occur and as such the engine is at a higher point on its torque curve when you call for a bit more steam. In effect things are more responsive if for example you're at 2500 rpm in 3rd instead of 1800 in 4th.
So in non sport mode you have to give it more gas to accelerate to overcome the gearing..

I've found that if you keep your foot out of it it shifts just like the other modes the main difference being responsiveness. In sport you might only have to push the gas 1/4" where as eco might take 1" or more for the same response.

So yes if you drive in sport the same way in as in eco, trying to push the gas pedal an inch when much less is needed, it won't be a nice experience. But if you can modulate your throttle it's better.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Sport mode also keeps the rear wheels under power. I think the normal breakdown is 90/10, but it Sport mode, it pushes 15% to the rear wheels constantly to aid in handling. This is what drops the mileage a bit more.

We had snow last week. There is a difference when you are driving on city streets that are snow or ice covered in Sport mode. In Normal mode, you feel the front slide as you are taking off until the rear kicks in. In Sport mode, it just goes.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Regarding ECO mode throttle response, our 2016 XLE FWD is the opposite of what we expected. It's jumpy, like snap your head back when starting from a dead stop. Putting it in normal mode seems to correct it. Otherwise it behaves as expected, like shifting into higher gear sooner and staying there longer. Maybe we need a software patch or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to rn701 For This Useful Post:
fstorch (12-24-2016)
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 AM

ECO vs SPORT mode driving.....

I've been driving it in SPORT mode (as often as I can remember to activate it) since my last post in December and as someone else posted here I see not much of a difference between the two. Except SPORT mode seems to have more of a pep than ECO and maybe burns a little bit more than ECO does. I do like that at 70 mph on long distance driving, which I do on my commute to work, it stays at 2500 rpm's though. For those wondering how well the RAV4 handles in deep snow (18 inches in my driveway in PA) the TRACTION control button and putting the RAV4 in SPORT mode handles the snow very well. As I might have stated in my previous posts I live at the top of a mountain on a dirt road that has 3 stages of climb to the top and the RAV4 handled that extremely well with TRACTION control and SPORT mode engaged.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourneSupremacy View Post
I do like that at 70 mph on long distance driving, which I do on my commute to work, it stays at 2500 rpm's though.
CORRECTION: the RPM's stay at 2000 not 2500 as I confirmed last night and this morning on my way to and back from the night shift whether I'm doing 70 or 75 mph....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page