Excessive Oil Consumption - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Excessive Oil Consumption

I am currently cross-shopping the 2013 Toyota RAV4 and the 2014 Subaru Forester. One thing that concerns me alot is some new owners of the Forester are complaining of excessive oil consumption between oil changes. Some as high as 1QT/1200 miles. That to me is totally unacceptable. Some posters on the Forester forums believe it is caused by the 0W-20 synthetic oil which is very light. Can some of you guys who have had your new RAV's for awhile now, comment if you are experiencing any oil consumption between oil changes and how many miles you are going between oil changes.(0W-20 synthetic oil?) I currrently own a 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD(same as Toyota Matrix) and it doesn't use a drop of oil in between oil changes of 5000 KM and it has 250,000 KM on it. Not thrilled about the idea of buying a brand new vehicle which is going to consume oil. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've not heard (read) a peep out of the new 2013 owners regarding excessive, or any, oil usage. The 2.5l engine is not a known oil slurper like the 2.4l was when it got some miles on it.

Did you happen to notice how many miles the Subie owners had on the engines using oil? Some new engines do use oil during break in but settle down around 3500-5000 miles. Also specifically which engines are using oil? Don't they offer two or three with one being turbocharged?

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
I have been following the forum for the normally aspirated 2.5L engine since I am not interested in the turbo. One guy who posted had new rings put in his vehicle which only had 10,000 miles on it. Since getting it back it has consumed 6 quarts of oil in 5700 miles. Needless to say he is very upset. In the Subaru owner's manual it says oil consumption up to 1 Qt/1200 miles is normal. Not in my mind! Any idea what it says in the 2013 RAV4 owners manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
I've not heard (read) a peep out of the new 2013 owners regarding excessive, or any, oil usage. The 2.5l engine is not a known oil slurper like the 2.4l was when it got some miles on it.

Did you happen to notice how many miles the Subie owners had on the engines using oil? Some new engines do use oil during break in but settle down around 3500-5000 miles. Also specifically which engines are using oil? Don't they offer two or three with one being turbocharged?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM

I've got the 2.4L in my Camry with 102K miles and it doesn't use any oil between 5K mile oil changes. Our new RAV has 4K miles on the factory oil and it's still right on the full mark.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Mode View Post
I am currently cross-shopping the 2013 Toyota RAV4 and the 2014 Subaru Forester.
Slightly, OK, a lot off topic, but my experience with Frontier Subaru is..... they SUCK! No parts, very small and busy service dep't, and very expensive service. I test drove a Frontier when it was still independently owned and I was not impressed with the sales process, and the facility.
They have since been sold to the Jim Pattison Auto Group. Apparently they're opening a second Subie dealership in Winnipeg in early 2014, but I don't know where.
I almost and should have bought my '13 RAV from Frontier Toyota, also now part of Pattison. I ended up getting it from McPhillips and that sales experience was the worst. They F'd up the order, the delivery, the followup, everything. However, they did have the best price, $425 over dealer cost. I have heard bad things also about the new Crown Toyota, as in their being very hard to deal with and not providing a transparent purchase.
Woodhaven, too expensive but good service, being part of the Birchwood Group.
Of course YMMV on all aspects of the buying and owning of either a RAV or Subie. I'm just relating my experience with these two SUV's.
Back to the topic, my RAV burns no oil and is an excellent, well built vehicle. I'm very happy.

2013 XLE AWD white
#6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I am currently cross-shopping the 2013 Toyota RAV4 and the 2014 Subaru Forester. One thing that concerns me alot is some new owners of the Forester are complaining of excessive oil consumption between oil changes. Some as high as 1QT/1200 miles. That to me is totally unacceptable. Some posters on the Forester forums believe it is caused by the 0W-20 synthetic oil which is very light. Can some of you guys who have had your new RAV's for awhile now, comment if you are experiencing any oil consumption between oil changes and how many miles you are going between oil changes.(0W-20 synthetic oil?) I currrently own a 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD(same as Toyota Matrix) and it doesn't use a drop of oil in between oil changes of 5000 KM and it has 250,000 KM on it. Not thrilled about the idea of buying a brand new vehicle which is going to consume oil. Thanks for your help!

I am running my Honda CRV 2008 with Castrol Syntec(Edge syntec now) , 0w-20 as recommended, and this since it was brand new... I do my oil change when the computer tells me to do so..., last one I had more than 16000km on it... oil was still looking good, slightly brownish.... and at 130,000km,,, it took only about 1/4 of a liter.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Not all 2.4L I4s develop this issue, hence it is not a recall. I wish the RAV had an oil monitor. That would save some $ down the road.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "OLIVA - Raise the curtain"
#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I have been following the forum for the normally aspirated 2.5L engine since I am not interested in the turbo. One guy who posted had new rings put in his vehicle which only had 10,000 miles on it. Since getting it back it has consumed 6 quarts of oil in 5700 miles. Needless to say he is very upset. In the Subaru owner's manual it says oil consumption up to 1 Qt/1200 miles is normal. Not in my mind! Any idea what it says in the 2013 RAV4 owners manual?

What forum, what year and model?

If you don't specify then I assume it is gossip.
I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just asking for more info.

No issues with oil comsumption on the 2014 models that I know of. I also have a 2012 Impreza, did the first oil change after almost a year, yes almost a year since the car had less than 3K miles (wife's) and there were no oil issues. And I know I should have done the oil change sooner.

I heard that Subaru had oil issues in the past models, but I also had a 2008 Impreza and no issues.

SILVERBOY

CHICKS DON’T DIG DEAD GUYS

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
What forum, what year and model?

If you don't specify then I assume it is gossip.
I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just asking for more info.

No issues with oil comsumption on the 2014 models that I know of. I also have a 2012 Impreza, did the first oil change after almost a year, yes almost a year since the car had less than 3K miles (wife's) and there were no oil issues. And I know I should have done the oil change sooner.

I heard that Subaru had oil issues in the past models, but I also had a 2008 Impreza and no issues.

The forum-subaruforester.org. 2014 2.5i Premium with 6 speed manual transmission. Subaru has been having complaints of excessive oil consumption with the FB engine since it was introduced in 2011. Looks like they haven't addressed the problem yet as there are numerous posts under excessive oil consumption with new owners of the 2014 Forester. There are other potential buyers like myself that won't be buying a new Subaru unless they solve this issue.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Wow, this was exactly my concern....Was very close with going with either the 2014 forester or outback, went to the same forum you're talking about and see all the complaints about excessive oil consumption....Some are having no issues but there are too many that are having problems for me to feel comfortable purchasing one...Both those vehicles were my favorite but as good as they are a potential reliability issue like that totally eliminates the subaru's for me...

Talked to my wife about it and she agreed....We're now back to looking at crv and rav4....The downside to the crv for me was while it was a smooth ride it was a bit too bouncy and engine noise under acceleration....The rav4 was a bit too rough, plus there was a rattle near the top of the seatbelt during the test drive, but perhaps it was that particular car....rav4 had THE BEST air conditioner by far not to mention it was the hottest day of all the test drives I did...The engine was the quietest and smoothest too...

Good luck on your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page