Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2014 RAV4 vs 2014 Nissan Rogue

16K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bigbird1 
#1 ·
Since we have not actually seen the new 2014 Nissan Rogue yet just on the Nissan web site and we know that the 2014 RAV4 will be the same as the 2013s. Had been doing online research and the Nissan's previous models had problems with their CVT transmission. From the Nissan site the Rogue interior looks nice especially the cargo area but the RAV4 still stands out with a sharp exterior although the Rogues exterior somehow seems okay.
I was wondering if anyone here had the same thinking and at one time considered the Nissan Rogue over the RAV4. A friend of mine stands by Nissan, but I uncertain and might be missing something.
Appreciate any recommendation.
Thank you.

#6 ·
Got to see and be in a 2014 rogue. The dealer had the SL only which is equivalent to the RAV4 limited. The rav i had test drove was a LE, but both rogue & rav use same engine for all their trim models, since we all know rav4s here i am listing my observation for the rogues,
1. The dash & interior looks nice, controls are also in reach. Feels higher quality, no key lock to glove box, the center console armrest has an outlet inside similar to the Honda CRV, could not verify the nav screen if they have the same issue as the ravs it was cloudy here yesterday.
2. The NAV package has more features, 360 degree monitor, blind spot warning, moving object detection, power lift gate, lane detection warning.
3. Turning radius is good, car like.
4. Body style is comparable, daytime running lights are LED. Overall looks sharp.

The dealer said that the SVs equivalent to XLE and will be available in a week, at that time i can compare apples to apples.

The Rogue are domestic made, but that does not mean its bad, both rav & rogue go through a production line. There will be bad apples in the both basket. Not sure which one has more.

Question of resale someday. This did not bother us since we donate our old cars to charity.

Transmission, both rav & rogue have new transmission. Could not compare, as far as engine rev they feel about the same.

Reliability, i had Nissan & Toyotas and they had been both good.

Price, they are comparable.

Our concern now is economics & creature comfort which gives more for the buck. Now we are confused which one to pick. The 2014 RAV are not here yet.

#7 ·
We went and looked at the Rogue today and I must say I am very impressed with it. That car looks extremely sharp! The interior is very nice and in my opinion is superior to that of the RAV4. Everything is laid out nice and pretty easy to get to except the buttons to the left of the steering column. The dash and door panels are soft to the touch and makes it much more luxurious. The LED headlights and tail lights are fantastic!

The intelligent key is quiet impressive and something that is really nice to have. It even comes with remote start along with running light delay for night time outings. The birds eye view of the car is amazing and should be standard on all cars these days.

I really like the way you can store your cargo in the rear of the vehicle. It will come in handy since there isn't a whole lot of room in these compact vehicles.

leg room in the rear is right on par with the rav4. It even feels a bit wider in the back. The rear seats recline just like the rav doe but in a different way. The rav has a better release design for the reclining function. It's on the lower seat where it should be. The nissan has it at the very top of the seat and it is difficult to recline while sitting back there. The RAV also reclines further. The Nissan's seat does move forward and aft for more cargo volume.

The rear doors open further allowing easier access to the rear seating area. We havn't had many problems with getting our car seat in and out of the RAV but I'm sure a little more opening will help. I would compare the Rogue's rear door opening to the CRV.

The Rogue has rear vents!! 'm so happy to see them put that in there. While the RAV isn't bad, just having those back there will help in the summer time.

I do not like the emergency brake pedal on the Rogue. I like the hand lever in the RAV over the foot pedal. I know they did this to open up some space but that is one of my other complaints about the vehicle.

I didn't get a chance to take a test drive so I cannot comment on that portion just yet. From what I have seen on online reviews, it should be a pretty nice ride. Just the whole CVT thing being an issue with most. I know it shouldn't be much of a problem for me as I am not looking at this vehicle for a sports car. Just a nice family cruiser with a better ride than the RAV.

I would seriously consider the Rogue if I were to purchase now.

#10 ·
Reposting.

The new Rogue has been torn apart by our engineers and its full of defects that should not of left thier plant (Toyota has many many quality checks to filter out these defects.) Hell they even fried the computer by trying to boost the battery.

Tearing apart the competition is common practice in the auto industry. It reafirms Toyotas commitment to a quality vehicle at a great value.

#11 ·
Very interesting.
Any idea what some of these defects are?
Sounds like the new Rogue will be a repeat of some of Hyundai's offerings. They look great on the outside (styling and features) but their mechanicals that you can't see were done quickly and cheaply with little consideration of long-term reliability.
I base that on extended family member's ownership of 3 different Hyundai's, an older Sonata, 3 year old Elantra, and 2 year old Tuscon. Sure, warranty paid for the problems, but there shouldn't be any problems. None of them are happy now.

#21 ·
Sorry to leave u guys hanging. Mostly it was fit and finish defects. Gaps vibrations noise etc. Most could have been fixed with a few bucks or even a few cents worth of adhesives or pads. Or perhaps an extra employee to do more quality checks. Hiring more people sounds like alot but really its less than a cup of coffe per vehicle to fix the problems. Its when you add those miniscule costs over an entire production run where you see a companys commitment to quality vs cost. This is where Toyota gets it right. You pay more for a Toyota but that extra cost really does reflect on what quality of a vehicle you get in the end.

#23 ·
Kind of runs contrary to what I have seen on this forum concerning the transmission used on the 2006-2012 V6 5-speed transmission. Why not use the right transmission in all RAVs when a new one was developed? That's what you would expect from a company who wants to deliver quality to their customer.

I know that it is cheaper for them to fix it after the defect becomes noticeable since not not all V6 RAVs had the issue (you would not know more but I suppose Toyota had a stockpile of those transmissions or may be there were other reasons) but what about those who find the problem after warranty is over? They are screwed!

BTW, I have an I4, but the way Toyota handled this situation reminds me that, afterall, they are still a corporation who needs to turn a profit and pay dividends to shareholder.

I always value an insider input. So even if I do not agree completely with what you say, I still want to hear more from you :thumbs_up:

#24 ·
Kind of runs contrary to what I have seen on this forum concerning the transmission used on the 2006-2012 V6 5-speed transmission. Why not use the right transmission in all RAVs when a new one was developed? That's what you would expect from a company who wants to deliver quality to their customer.
I had one of those trannies in my '11 V6 LTD. It whined occasionally, but I didn't care, as it was leased. The 4.4 RAV is so far ahead of the 4.3 models in terms of NVH improvement and overall execution that it's no wonder the 4.4 has been a runaway hit for Toyota, even with only the 2.5 I4 as its sole engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.