Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

H ignition key for 2014 RAV4 XLE

38K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  CB91710 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a RAV4 XLE. It comes with two keyless entry keys. They have an "H" embossed on the key. I would like to get an ignition key for this vehiscle so that I can take it with me when I go swimming and also because it is less bulky. I do not use the alarm.

Toyota said they would do it for me for nearly $200. There has to be a cheaper solution!

I went to my local locksmith they will do it for $75 but they do not have H keys. I went online to IKeyLess and could find plain and G keys. I called them and they do not have the H keys. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Also, I saw the video on to program the vehicle to recognize the key. I have no idea if that will work for a 2014 RAV4. Does anyone know?

Any assistance will be most appreciated.
UPDATE: I bought two blank keys Toyota Part Number 89786-0R020 from Toyomotorparts.com for $26 each. They are Valet keys but since there is only one lock, the driver side, in the RAV4, it is the same thing. I then tried the procedure about 5 times and it never worked. I gave up and paid a locksmith to program the keys (he had also cut them) for $40 each. The reason for the high price is that they use a computer that only allows them to program one key at a time and they have to buy the right to program x many keys. The device keeps track of how many they programmed and each time they program one, it reduces by one the umber they can program without paying for additional "programming rights". But when it was all said and done I have two keys that open the door and work in the ignition and are not the bulky and water sensitive keys that come with teh vehicle. And in the end it costs me $46 for each key instead of the $169 the Toyota dealers wanted.

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks. Now that I have the part number let's see if I can find it in the web. The dealers in my area are asking too much money for it. ($80 for a blank key!). Thanks to your part number I searched teh web and found the blank keys at 89786-0R020 - Toyota TRANSMITTER, TRANSPO for $26. I will have the local locksmith cut it for me and will try the procedure to get the onboard computer to recognize the new key. I will update my posting once I try it to see if it works or not.

#10 ·
Ask your locksmith if there is a mechanical-only key blank that is the same as your ignition key- i.e. the same exact blade without the chip. Have the locksmith cut the key.

Lock your keys in the cabin of the car, take your mechanical-only key with you, and use it to unlock the door to gain access to your real keys inside.

Of course this comes with some disadvantages/caveats:

1. Not sure if locksmiths have the same exact blade blank that when the sides are cut will still slide into door lock tumbler.

2. Your real keys are inside the Rav and thus a risk of theft.

3. NEVER use this key in the ignition-- it is for your door only.

Even if it is possible that your locksmith has something that works, you will have to weigh the scenario.

#12 ·
Ask your locksmith if there is a mechanical-only key blank that is the same as your ignition key- i.e. the same exact blade without the chip. Have the locksmith cut the key.

Lock your keys in the cabin of the car, take your mechanical-only key with you, and use it to unlock the door to gain access to your real keys inside.

Of course this comes with some disadvantages/caveats:

1. Not sure if locksmiths have the same exact blade blank that when the sides are cut will still slide into door lock tumbler.

2. Your real keys are inside the Rav and thus a risk of theft.

3. NEVER use this key in the ignition-- it is for your door only.

Even if it is possible that your locksmith has something that works, you will have to weigh the scenario.
Thanks. I had thought of that but do not feel comfortable leaving the car key in the car. As I replied up above, I did find the blank key at www.toyomotorparts.com I will have the local locksmith cut it and then will try the procedure I found on the web to have the onboard computer recognize it. Will post the results since I suspect I am not the only one with this problem.

#16 ·
If you actually think about it, what's the point of making it harder when the aftermarket bypass makers have already made their bypass work with the H key.

#19 ·
RageXD, My friend does remote starts and he said he was going to install something called an XPressKit or something like that.

He said that the installed box will read the key code over the OBD lines and remember it, so a physical key is not needed.

Are you familiar with this system?

#22 ·
I thought I read somewhere that the bypass was already available for the new key, I'll try and find it since it would be useful for you guys.

#24 ·
#27 ·
#25 ·
Yes I am familiar with directed, but what your friend says don't make sense, across the board of manufacturers that make data bypasses, xpresskit, flashlogic, idatalink and fortin, non of them have a specific bypass for the new key, it's a transponder bypass box or nothing right now, in which you lose a key cause it goes into the bypass box itself.

#32 ·
I'm looking to get a spare key for my wife's 14 Rav4.
I've been reading relative threads and think I can get a blank key, have it cut, and I'd like to purchase this "techstream" to burn it.

I'm a former ASE master so, using this will not be out of my reach. Just need someone to give me a valid ebay link to the correct techstream cable and software at the best price. TIA.

V.W.

#33 ·
#35 ·
Thanks guys.
This place is a wealth of information.

BTW, I notice on the bottom of the seller's description it says this tool is only useable on 16 pin OBD connectors not, 22 pin. What's got a 22 pin OBD connector?

One other question, will this techstream software work on a mac?

#37 ·
The 22 pin port was what Toyota used before the industry standardized on the OBD II port in 1996.

#38 ·
H Key 2014 XLE

Mine came with only 2 'H' keys. Called Toyota to see if valet key was missing since manual wasn't clear. My VIN, no valet key. Called local locksmith, they can make a key that would only open the door for $4. A hardware store I visited checked the key against some device and said it had no transponder. They can cut a key that will open door and start car but no remote buttons. I questioned the guy about not having a transponder. Which is correct?

#39 ·
Mine came with only 2 'H' keys. Called Toyota to see if valet key was missing since manual wasn't clear. My VIN, no valet key. Called local locksmith, they can make a key that would only open the door for $4. A hardware store I visited checked the key against some device and said it had no transponder. They can cut a key that will open door and start car but no remote buttons. I questioned the guy about not having a transponder. Which is correct?
The idiot at the hardware store is wrong, the H keys do have a transponder. His device is probably too old to detect it. Any place can cut you a key to unlock the door. A true valet key with a transponder chip would allow a valet to start the car, but prevent him from using it to create a master key or another valet key.

#42 ·
#47 ·
The US 2014 Rav4 does not come with a valet key so I had to sacrifice one of my 2 keyless entry keys to BestBuy for a remote start. Went to my dealer today to buy a replacement. $180 plus programming. The parts guy said there is a work-around for the valet key. They have found another vehicle that uses the same H key as the Rav4 and has a valet key for $45 + programming. Now I need to find out what it would take for BestBuy to swap the key / immobilizer.

#48 ·
For $40 you can buy the cable needed to communicate with your system and program your own keys and remotes.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/122-toyota/187730-techstream-mvci-64bit-windows-8-1-works.html

I'm still trying to find a pair of remotes that will work with the '15, but I picked up two "H" keys off of eBay for $70 (total) and ripped out the chips.
The chips went into a pair of flip-keys, and after I confirmed the programming worked, I transferred the guts of the remotes into the flip keys.

We still only have two remotes, but for emergency, we have 4 keys that will start the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.