Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Start Engine Button

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JCS 
#1 ·
I'm have trouble starting my 2014 Rav4 the key fob works to open the door but not to start the car. The no key light comes on. After a few minutes it recognizes the fob and starts. Is anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
The first thing to try is replacing the battery in the fob.

#5 ·
Suggestions include: Make sure that the steering wheel isn't locked, bring the remote closer to the steering wheel column, change the battery in both remotes, try the other remote to see if that one works compared to the one that doesn't work, make sure that you are pressing down the brake. When I brought the same problems to the dealer, they always said it was the battery in the key.

#6 · (Edited)
I think this has been posted before and it was indeed the steering wheel lock. Like a key start car if there is pressure on the wheel lock it prevents the key being turned. I believe simply turning the wheel to take pressure off the lock while pressing the start button worked for the person who posted. Whether that's your problem or not I don't know. Worth a shot though.

#8 ·
I think this has been posted before and it was indeed the steering wheel lock. Like a key start car if there is pressure on the wheel lock it prevents the key being turned. I believe simply turning the wheel to take pressure off the lock while pressing the star button worked for the person who posted. Whether that's your problem or not I don't know. Worth a shot though.
I discovered that with mine. It happens depending upon how I parked. Now it is just habit to push the steering wheel right a bit, then press the start button.

Regarding weak fob battery, hold the fob gently right close to the Toyota logo on the start button, and press the button. My dealer told me that's what they do when they receive brand new Toyotas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.