Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

HELP - broke the transponder of my 4.4 rav key

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jest 
#1 ·
Hi guys... I received my switchback key from the mail today. i was so excited that i transferred the internal components of my stock key to the new switchback key. As i was about to pry the transponder chip from its place, i was surprised that it was not easy to remove it from the shell. though i carefully pried it off from the shell it still sustained scratches coz it was pretty much glued in its place. it ended up that i need to put more force to pry it out and ended causing a deep scratch with transponder. upon close inspection, i notice a shiny thing from the deep scratch. i was so scared that i might have damaged the transpoder, i replace everything back to its original places. then i tried to start my 4.4 with the reassembled key. and my 4.4 did not start. i tried it with the spare key and it started right away. at this point, i assumed that i caused to much damaged on the transponder chip thats why the car did not start with the reassembled key.

i accepted the fact that i already messed up one of my keys. can anyone give me advice on how to fix it (if it is still repairable) if not, help me get a new set of key that does not cost me like those bought/ordered from the dealer? or is it possible to buy a used key and reprogram the transponder to work with my 4.4? i badly need help with this matter. :crying

#2 ·
Yes, if you can find a used key on Ebay, you should be able to remove the immobilizer chip and reprogram it to your car with Techstream. Or you could go to a good locksmith and have them reprogram it.

This video will show how to get the chip out of a valet key:

#3 ·
Yes, if you can find a used key on Ebay, you should be able to remove the immobilizer chip and reprogram it to your car with Techstream. Or you could go to a good locksmith and have them reprogram it.

This video will show how to get the chip out of a valet key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4v8l75kP_w
thank you for your reply junebug. i hope my 4.4 keys were that easy to remove its transponder. btw this is how 4.4 key looks like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...AUuWtgapSXJ9c10L1XQHk1bQ&ust=1412352817495574

and the transponder on this key is very much stuck in its hole.

#8 ·
#5 ·
I went through this process when I moved my key to a flip style key shell. The transponder chip on the side of the key is just nasty to remove, what you want to do is get a set a curved pliers and pull on either side of the housing. The transponder only is glued in from the top. Some solvent to dissolve glue is also a good idea.

Regarding the transponder itself, you sadly cant buy it stand alone, I checked at a dealership. It only comes with a key. What I ended up doing was purchasing a used Rav4 key off ebay. The US and Cad transponders are the same, but not the keyless entry remotes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.