Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2015 crv redesign

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Leonard1818 
#1 ·
I know this is a rav4 forum and I own a 2013 rav4, but I liked the changes Honda made on their new redesign.

They added a push button start and a few other things for 2015. If I could do it all over again I might get the Honda.

#2 · (Edited)
Hmmm. Im not yet sold on the CVT in SUVs but Honda's giving it a big vote of confidence by putting it in the CRV.

Did they add a locking differential option to the AWD, if not then there is no reason for me to even think about having one.

Im still happy with my Rav. A solid 6 speed and locking differential.

#8 ·
I have read some initial reviews about the new CVT and most are saying it hesitates and is a real dog off the line. One of the reasons I went for the Rav was for the 6-speed AT. By the time I need a new vehicle I'm sure just about everything will be CVT, so enjoy those gears while you've got em!

#7 ·
When you test drive it, the CVT will be your largest concern. Not the gear selector location. :)

#11 ·
I don't think the CRV is ugly...but it is a bit boring.
It's hard to tell the newer models apart from the slightly older models-they still look pretty much the same.

I have to agree-the RAV is ugly from the rear. It's the only view of it I don't like. I love it from the front and side, but the back of the RAV looks like a station wagon. An ugly station wagon.

#10 ·
I find the CRV exterior styling to be visually boring. I disagree about the RAV rear end too. It looks bigger and sturdier and I think there's more room in the RAV. I know both of them are very close, but it just looks like there more substance there. I'm not a fan of where the shifter is on the CRV either. I like all of the shifting options on the RAV and where the shifter is placed (where it should be). Much better in my hand, in my control and in that proper shifting downward angle, with multiple options rather than having that CVT controlling everything.

#13 ·
My wife drives a 2014 subaru outback with subaru 2nd gen cvt and before that had a 2011 subaru legacy with 1st gen cvt. The outback cvt is definitely an improvement but unlike what was said in this post about the Honda cvt it is very touchy off the line. You have to baby the gas off the line. Takes some getting used to for sure especially after just driving the Rav. My parents have a 2014 accord and i drove it and did not notice any hesitation off the line but not as touchy as the subaru. So all cvt are not created equal. I like the honda cvt better than subarus but do still prefer the 6 speed.

#14 ·
When we were shopping for the Rav, I knew that the '15 CR-V would bring an updated Earth Dreams motor and the CVT (basically the Accord powertrain). I also figured it would bring the push-button start, power lift gate, lane departure/blind spot stuff, etc.

I would have loved to cross-shop the '15 CR-V with the '13 rav that we ended up buying... but of course I couldn't. I also wished we could have held out to see it, but the CVT part of it I was skeptical of and we really would have had to commit some money to her old Saturn to get by till now...

I like Honda a lot but they were a bit behind in this segment at the time so they lost our business on this purchase. We will see how the Toyota treats us and will have to consider it when moving up to a larger vehicle in the coming 3 years or so.

#15 · (Edited)
I drove the CRV for over 4 years and 120,000 miles as a courier. The shifter was odd at first but you learn to adapt to it quickly. The best part of the 5 speed auto was the downshift button put you in 3d gear which was a real downshift. My 2010 Rav 4 speed downshift to 3d is subtle, the downshift to 4th gear in my wife's 2013 Rav in between.
The thing I never got used to were the Honda seats. I ended up many a night after my run with a sore ass. Hated the seats.
Wonder how they are going to integrate the hydraulic 4wd on the CRV. You could force it to temporarily kick into 4wd by intentionally spinning the tires, especially from a standstill.

#19 ·
IMO
Both Honda and Toyota has very good vehicles on every category and as good as each other.

Other than small hates and likes with different features... Here I am talking tolerable compromises.

I had to go with Toyota just because dealer here is much nicer than Honda dealership which I have to see every 6mobths and god knows in an unfortunate breakdown.

And my second biggest reason is crv rear end... Just my opinion, what the heck... I hate seeing crv without a spoiler and feel my stomach feels something. Which thy didn't correct in 2015 also.

#20 ·
I guess your mileage varies on dealer and models and years when it comes to honda. I had a 03 accord still going with 183000 on it. only normal repairs oil, tires, brakes, o ya muffler cover fell off only at 160K. Honda dealer could not be nicer to me, considering that I did not buy it there, but took it there cause I heard they were good. I should have stayed and gotten crv, but too mommie looking for me in 2014. Got 13 rav and dealer is just kinda of cold. So it might take time for him to warm up but still cold. ymmv as usual. thanks
Will look at new 15 crv just to see what its all about. still like rav for now.

#21 ·
We've had both Hondas and Toyotas. Currently my wife has a '10 CRV and it's a very competent vehicle. No problems so far, and we and she have taken it on a number of long distance trips. The shift lever position takes only a little getting used to for me. More of an annoyance is the foot-operated parking brake, partly because it's not so easy to manipulate in an emergency as in the very unlikely failure of the hydraulic braking system. Also the pressure in the spare tire was a hassle to check until I devised a work-around. My RAV's major advantages for me are the V6 engine, the parking brake lever location. slightly larger cargo capacity, and the full service and accessible spare. If it hadn't been for the RAV's V6 and my ability to get the RAV in the exterior and interior colors I wanted I probably would have bought a CR-V - but I don't know that I would buy the 2015, with its CVT . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.