Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Fuel economy read-out vs. actual

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Darkside 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

My name is Scott, and I just bought Raven, my '14 XLE AWD w/Entune just over 2 weeks ago. So far, I love it. I sold my 2005 Corolla XRS with over 220k on it to get this. I'm 31, but have elderly parents (who have the '09 base you see listed in my signature) who I drive around frequently, hence why I bought my RAV. Anyway, on with the question....

So far, I have exactly 1,300 miles on her. I have been using BP fuel (87 octane). I'm doing better than sticker in terms of mileage (26.5), with roughly 60% highway and 40% city driving. I tend to "eggshell" the gas pedal. The readout says the following down below. My calculations say differently (miles driven since last fill/number of gallons filled). Example, mostly highway last trip, I got exactly 25 mpg. The computer read 27.8 mpg. Are most people noticing that big of a gap?!

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
my 4.3 is about 1.5 to 1.8 mpg optimistic compared to calculating it myself. don't trust the gauge in any car, I've never seen one be right by any manufacturer.

My brother has a jetta hybrid that is consistently reporting lower mpg than he actually gets, its the first and only time I've seen this, usually cars read higher than actual.

#7 ·
I do get difference in 1 to 2mpg... Hand calculated is always less except only highway it was 1mpg higher than displayed.

Avg is for that trip... So unless you are resetting it every fill up...its avg since ur last reset. Best will get updated if avg is higher than previous once you click on update button there.

I always reset every fill up. By the way, you have awd so ur combined will be actually 25mpg. All the best.

#9 ·
Haha, my dad had had some health issues the past few years, so he can't drive as much as he'd like. My mother doesn't drive. They had me later in life, in either early 40's. I was driving them a lot in their RAV during summer trips to Maine and New York, and one day Mom said "why do we always take our car?" One month later, I was at Ira Toyota and signed on my RAV at 0% financing and a hefty reduction on the sticker price.

You all are spot-on with the readout number vs real-world. I'm noticing 1.5-2 mpg off in difference. I figured the car was just "learning" my driving style, I guess that's not the case!

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.