Remote starter - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote starter

I have an 2015 rav4 limited and I want to add an remote starter. However I want it on my current key fab and I don't want the engine to turn off if I open the door. What's remote starter brand should I be looking for? I would have to do it at my dealer sono don't void the warranty. Any suggestions and how much should it's run me with cost and labor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You do realize any add-on starter has EXACTLY the same range as the FOB. We had one member who's dealer insisted their add-on would have a longer range with her factory FOB. It didn't and was useless for her needs. She had to jump thru hoops to have it replaced with a better one.

I have an add-on that starts with two pushes of the door lock button on the key FOB. I park near the house or building I'm at so range isn't an issue. Mine doesn't shut off when I unlock the door but while the engine is running on remote start I have to use the key to unlock the door manually.

I don't believe you have to stay with the dealer for warranty purposes, but many aftermarket installers such as Best Buy only sell independent extra-fob units. They have much longer range and many have feedback to show the car is actually running. I'd also suggest one with a 5 or 7 minute run time since anything longer is a real gas waster.

I paid $300 to have an aftermarket one installed in my BIL's '08 RAV4 Base (no immobilizer) at Best Buy in Anchorage.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Chort,
I don't believe what you want is currently available. This is assuming that your GEN4 2015 Limited has the Push-To-Start ignition system.

The Toyota remote start system uses the factory FOB's and it's main problem is short range. There are after-market systems that can use the factory FOB's but they will have the same range limitation.

The main stumbling block is your desire to have the remote started engine stay running when you open a door. Neither the Factory R/S system nor the available after-market systems can do that ( with the PTS RAV4.4's ). They all shutdown the engine when a door is opened and force you to restart the engine.

While it is a PITA, most drivers get used to the engine shutdown / re-start and most prefer an after-market system that has is own remotes that offer decent range ( minimum 4 times the factory remotes' range ).

A quality system like that installed by a local shop with an excellent reputation will run under $400 on your RAV.

P.S. RAV4.4's ( LE and XLE ) with standard "H" key ignition system do not shut the remote started engine down when a door is opened.

2013 RAV4 XLE AWD Pyrite Mica
2005 Sienna LE AWD Salsa Red Pearl ( sold )
2015 Sienna LE AWD Silver Sky Metalic
2004 Lexus SC430 Indigo Ink Pearl w/ECRU

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

If a remote starter doesn't shut down upon opening the door it will when you touch the brake pedal. Either way you don't want to be able to drive off with the engine remote started.
For a while I had our brake circuit disconnected so you could drive off with the key in the Accessory position to unlock the steering wheel. Wife did that. Car drove apparently normally then abruptly shut off on the road when the remote starter timed out. Fortunately is was a straight road with no traffic. I reconnected the brake wire. Now you can drive off w/o the engine stopping but only if you move the key to the Run position before hitting the brake pedal. I have no clue how that would work with a push-to-start.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
If a remote starter doesn't shut down upon opening the door it will when you touch the brake pedal. Either way you don't want to be able to drive off with the engine remote started.
For a while I had our brake circuit disconnected so you could drive off with the key in the Accessory position to unlock the steering wheel. Wife did that. Car drove apparently normally then abruptly shut off on the road when the remote starter timed out. Fortunately is was a straight road with no traffic. I reconnected the brake wire. Now you can drive off w/o the engine stopping but only if you move the key to the Run position before hitting the brake pedal. I have no clue how that would work with a push-to-start.
Ahhhh yea you need the key in the run position for the engine to run. Accessory is if the car is off and you want to listen to the radio. Jeeze, you are incredibly lucky you didn't kill your wife or someone else. What made you want to disconnect the brake cut off wire in the first place???
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 AM

When I installed my remote start on my XLE (which might be diffrent) I installed a relay to "trick" the car into thinking the drives door was always shut whenever the remote starter was running. I did this for the purpose of being able to use the electric door locks when the door was open. But it might work for you in keeping the engine running.

Here is a write up I did for my installation. I know you have a push to start but some of it might be helpful.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-...tillation.html
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
Ahhhh yea you need the key in the run position for the engine to run. Accessory is if the car is off and you want to listen to the radio. Jeeze, you are incredibly lucky you didn't kill your wife or someone else. What made you want to disconnect the brake cut off wire in the first place???
Yeah, she asked me that same question. I originally had it connected but figured there was no good reason for the engine to shut off once running. Didn't occur to me she'd drive off with the key only turned enough to unlock the steering. And then it didn't happen until she drove off before the 5 minutes timed out. It was leaving church where she normally ends up talking to someone for easily more than 5 minutes after remote starting but apparently she didn't that time. Anyway we really love having our RAV not freezing cold in our current 10F temps.

When doing your own installation you realize there are many many connection and programming options at your disposal. But dealers or aftermarket installers probably only tell the customer about a few "standard" ones.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, she asked me that same question. I originally had it connected but figured there was no good reason for the engine to shut off once running. Didn't occur to me she'd drive off with the key only turned enough to unlock the steering. And then it didn't happen until she drove off before the 5 minutes timed out. It was leaving church where she normally ends up talking to someone for easily more than 5 minutes after remote starting but apparently she didn't that time. Anyway we really love having our RAV not freezing cold in our current 10F temps.

When doing your own installation you realize there are many many connection and programming options at your disposal. But dealers or aftermarket installers probably only tell the customer about a few "standard" ones.
Who makes your remote starter?

I use this programmer http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elect.../dp/B000CJ05ZE

Directed sells many different starters all under different brands. Mine is python.

The auto shutoff time is very easy to change. On my unit the settings can be changed by listening to horn honks, but the programmer makes it a 15 second job.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
You do realize any add-on starter has EXACTLY the same range as the FOB. We had one member who's dealer insisted their add-on would have a longer range with her factory FOB. It didn't and was useless for her needs. She had to jump thru hoops to have it replaced with a better one.

I have an add-on that starts with two pushes of the door lock button on the key FOB. I park near the house or building I'm at so range isn't an issue. Mine doesn't shut off when I unlock the door but while the engine is running on remote start I have to use the key to unlock the door manually.

I don't believe you have to stay with the dealer for warranty purposes, but many aftermarket installers such as Best Buy only sell independent extra-fob units. They have much longer range and many have feedback to show the car is actually running. I'd also suggest one with a 5 or 7 minute run time since anything longer is a real gas waster.

I paid $300 to have an aftermarket one installed in my BIL's '08 RAV4 Base (no immobilizer) at Best Buy in Anchorage.

That member he's referring to may or may not be me, but yes, I had them put in the OEM remote starter when I bought the car and it was rubbish, you had to practically be IN the car for it to work, that's how short the range was. So I got the one they use in the Lexus at the dealer, it's a CoolStart, I don't know which model, I can check it out if you want. But it's awesome, the range is great. And it doesn't kill until you step on the brake, BUT I was told by someone, here maybe? I forget, that if you push the push button start quick two times, it doesn't turn off and you can be on your way! (And it works.)

Oh, but I have to use the CoolStart remote fob to unlock the car, which is a drag in the winter when it's hard to push with gloved hands and it's freezing! But that's ok.

I found it, this is the newer version of mine, mine is 2 yrs old already: http://www.crimestopper.com/products...art/rs3g5.html

2012 Limited I4

Last edited by laurabw; 01-10-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: -
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 PM

Think it might be important to point out that there is a different in the after-market remote start operation, especially "take-over", between the push-to-start RAV4.3's and the push-to-start RAV4.4's.

laurabw has a RAV4.3 ( 2012 ) with P-T-S ignition and that remote starter system does not have to shutdown the engine, while Chort's 2015 RAV4.4 with P-T-S would shutdown the remote started engine as soon as a door is opened.

2013 RAV4 XLE AWD Pyrite Mica
2005 Sienna LE AWD Salsa Red Pearl ( sold )
2015 Sienna LE AWD Silver Sky Metalic
2004 Lexus SC430 Indigo Ink Pearl w/ECRU
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013 RAV4 XLE For This Useful Post:
laurabw (01-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page