Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Impressed with RAV4 !!

8K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  JuneBug 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 RAV4 VS 2015 Forester!

I have 2015 Forester 2.5i (base model O.T.D $24,999 - no factory window tinting, no factory wheel arch molding) and 2014 RAV4 (LE-AWD O.T.D $25,100 including factory window tinting, factory wheel arch molding).
I drive Forester, My wife drives RAV4. As time goes on, I am more impressed with RAV4 because of following reasons,

1. 50:50 Locking feature button
If we compare this with X-mode (which Subaru calls), this feature is only provided at highest trim of 2015 Forester and all 2015 Subaru outback. But Rav4 provides even lowest trim of LE AWD. (Forester VS Outback, outback has notorious acceleration lag/hesitation so I chose Forester over outback).

2. Eco-mode
My Forester doesn't have this. But Rav4 provides it. I am sure very few but some Forester owner try to change Forester to FWD at the situation when they don't need AWD to save gas but RAV4 to save gas? one button - Eco-mode.

3. Sports-mode
If I am not mistaken, Subaru Forester XT version is strong about this as far as I know, they have stronger engine w/premium gas than my base Forester w/regular gas. Although electronically but RAV4? one button - Sports-mode.

4. Shift-mode
I was wondering what this mode is about but I learned that this is down Shift (low gear). My base 2015 Forester has L-mode, which is low speed mode - in one word, Engine brake.
I use this engine brake a lot but I didn't know RAV4 has this low gear mode (S-mode), Engine brake.
Mr. Rick taught me about this TODAY. Thank you!

5. Quietness
RAV4 is much quieter than Forester especially speeding above 60 miles. My wife couldn't hear while I was talking to her in my Forester. This is pretty well-known shortcoming of Forester.

6. Battery
RAV4 has no cranking issue at all with 550CCA battery. My base Forester had 390CCA and I asked for replacement to my Subaru dealer many times and finally they replaced it with 550CCA battery. Cranking is better than RAV4 now? apparently NO.
I guess RAV4 starter has better quality than my forester. Engine cranking is still not as strong as RAV4.

7. Tires
RAV4 comes with Michelin which has better traction, but my base Forester comes with Yokohama all season which most of people says "poor traction" in winter. After my wife drives both RAV4 and Forester, she told me that Forester is kind of slippery on snowy road although I explained to her good part of "symmetrical AWD".

I am sure there are strong points at Forester, but now Forester w/CVT has, in normal situation, 90:10 power distribution and it is changing based on road condition maximum to 60:40 although it has symmetrical AWD structure (Manual transmission is 50:50 and 3.6R outback is 40:60 distribution as far as I know). When I put both cars in deep snow and tried to pull them out, RAV4's 50:50 locking feature works great, but my base Forester struggled. I assume it is because mine was base model with poorer quality tires, if it was $30k~35K XT forester with X-mode like RAV4's locking feature, probably my test could be different story. What I am not impressed most about my 2015 Forester is that boxer engine sucks up engine oil and carry a quart of engine oil in the trunk just in case of engin oil warning light on.

I am not an expert or knowledgeable owner so my opinion might not be correct but this is how I felt and observed so far.

See less See more
#3 ·
In view of our bad experiences with a Forester which we previously owned and with Subaru dealerships, the only possibly compelling reason for buying another is the availability of the 6-speed manual gearbox.

#4 ·
I've never owned a Subaru but they do appeal to me as an enthusiast. I've heard their boxer burns oil however and that's a pet peeve of mine...

Anyway, we just got dumped on (snow) here in NW Ohio, local schools closed, etc. and my wife made it to work in the Rav! So that's good!

#5 ·
Subaru had head gasket issues from the 90s up until 2005/6. Something that they've since solved though.

Loved my '07 Legacy GT Spec B. Speed of the WRX with a 6 speed manual turbo in a more grown up styling. Sleeper that no one expected it to be a fast as it was. Never lost a drop of oil between changes.

#6 ·
Subaru had head gasket issues from the 90s up until 2005/6. Something that they've since solved though.

Loved my '07 Legacy GT Spec B. Speed of the WRX with a 6 speed manual turbo in a more grown up styling. Sleeper that no one expected it to be a fast as it was. Never lost a drop of oil between changes.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout!! That thing looks AWESOME!!

#8 ·
The Suburu Forestor looks like a big station wagon to me

#12 ·
Allow me to jump in the pool here too...from a leased 2012 Highlander SE I went to a '15 XLE AWD and I am not missing the 'bigger' vehicle!

Oh, and I bought the RAV...I expect to have it for a long time this time around - leased a 4.3 previously.

#13 ·
Considering a Subaru Forester went to their version of rav4world and was surprised to see many people in cold northern climates complaining on the heater in the 2014. Claim it's very inadequate in cold weather.:frown All seem to start in 2014, didn't see any 2015 mentioned.:confused:
it would be a deal breaker for me.

#14 ·
Meanwhile... My wife and I BOTH have independently noticed how quickly the Rav heats up and how quickly the seats heat up too!

These are little nuggets that I'll be jotting down for our next vehicle purchase. Certainly not something we even thought to look at when we purchased -- but something we are VERY grateful for now.

#18 ·
I'm surprised to hear that you think the Rav4 is significantly quieter... I feel like my car is unnecessarily loud above 60 MPH.

Did not drive the Forester when I was cross shopping, though.

#23 ·
It's a great Heater. Not sure on this, but my understanding is that "High" must be selected for the initial electric assist?

Ours definitely warms quicker on "High" as opposed to say, 85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.