Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Ok first driven in snow and a ok

13K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  manhog 
#1 ·
OK where I live we finally have gotten some snow six inches or more like 10 inches in last week. I know you guys up northern country o canada and boston have gotten snow like no tommorrow.

So my report my fwd in six inches seems to run or drive fine thru the stuff for now. I guess it could change with the type of white stuff too. The only problem with my mitch latitude tires was when pulling out of a store entrance. And you have the unplowed stuff all bunched up got a little slippery there or the squiggly line indicator came on for a second or two. But when a drove thru a small unplowed driveway got slightly stuck, but turned off squiggle button and seemed to get me unstuck. Squiggle button what is that! you know what i mean.

#3 ·
Squiggly line = VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)
Helps the driver to control skidding when swerving suddenly or turning
on slippery road surfaces.

TRAC (Traction Control)
Maintains drive power and prevents the drive wheels from spinning
when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

AUTO LSD function (2WD models) - Automatic Limited Slip Differential
The AUTO LSD function is activated when the system is in TRAC off mode. It operates when one of the drive wheels is spinning, such as when the wheel is spinning freely on ice or mud. The system applies the brakes to the spinning wheel and transfers some of the torque to the other wheel to secure drive power.

Reactions: Lemon and manhog
#7 ·
Suggestion:

Purchase (2) 80lb Tube Sand Bags. Place them each in a 13 gallon trash bag.
Place one on each side in the back over the rear wheel (approximately.)

You'll be amazed at the added traction under braking, and oversteer.

#18 ·
That impresses me! Went driving up to Ski Liberty last night to take the kids tubing as the little (clipper) snow squall passed through..ended up with 1 in of snowy ice....many cars slipping around (one in a ditch too), but no probs for us. Performed well even in unimpressive snow amounts .. :smile

#21 ·
As I ranted in a thread I was not impressed with the AWD system. As pointed out by Nodnerb is not a "real 4WD", it's called when the computer feels is needed or from stop you can lock it up to 40Km/h. I was used to real 4WD, which really does a difference in stability and control in really snowy conditions, but I think Toyota mentions as reason for not allowing to lock all the time the AWD to avoid wearing of the drive train. For that I say I have driven, when needed, for years cars that I could lock the 4WD and haven't needed to change nothing due to that before I got rid of the car.

I'll trade, at any moment, the change of parts in a car after years of use, for the ability to have a stable and safe travel in our heavy snow winters. I mentioned before, in that thread how the car, in like 4-6 inches of snow, started to misbehave once it reached the 40km/h just because it looses the push power of having the four wheels engage and pushing forward.

That said, for a light car, it works pretty decently in the majority of the winter situations, the squiggle think works usually well

#23 ·
There is a huge difference between a FWD biased 4WD system and a RWD based 4WD system. The Rav4 basically is FWD with the ability to send the power to the rear (this is the same situation with the CR-V, Escape, CX5, Rogue, etc). To send power to the rear, it has to go through a clutch pack in front of the rear differential; that is the item that prevents the Rav4 from running a 50:50 split all the time. That is not the same at all compared to something like a 4Runner or Tacoma where the power goes through a transfer case that locks 50:50 when you engage the 4WD (no clutch pack... basically a chain off the output shaft of the tranny and a yoke that engages or disengages the front prop shaft from the rear prop shaft).

Even though the 50:50 lock disengages at 25mph in the Rav4, the 4WD system still sends power to the back, but it just isn't 50% of the power. I'm of the opinion that once you are moving, FWD, RWD, or 4WD matters little these days now that we have traction and stability control. The 4WD really pays dividends when getting started.

#22 ·
They say there are no dumb questions...well here goes!

Today my RAV exhibited 2 bouts of understeer on snow covered streets.
First was on freshly falling snow on an inclined S curve. Speed was slow for the conditions outside - falling snow. As I turned the wheels to go left and follow the road the RAV kept on going straight until I took my foot off of the accelerator pedal completely. I was able to recover control without coming to a stop. Very unnerving!

Second time was in 3 inches of loose, dirty, driven on, unpacked snow. I was making a U turn at slow speed and the RAV kept going straight while the wheels were hard over left. Again, I recovered by taking foot off of gas pedal.

What could/should I have done different to avoid the problem?
Tires are at 33 PSI and all nanny features were 'ON'. AWD was not locked either.

I know, DON'T GO LEFT IN THE SNOW!

#24 ·
Well it seems you have encountered twice the dreaded Black Ice, in my experience not much you can do since the car will just continue in the direction it was going when entering the ice.

indeed I have seen it frequently on intersection when turning, and close to the top of bridges, mainly wherever an inclination exist no matter how slight is. If your temperature are close to the thaw/freeze cycle be aware that it will be there, nicer temp during the day where snow melt and then that little river of water become ice during the early morning with subzero temp.

Winter tires can help, but in many cases when the ice is really smooth, just trust the car, direct the steering wheel to the intended road and be ready to go that way as soon as the tires reach a zone where they can get traction. If you have the time hit the 4WD button so you can use the 4 tires to push you out of the zone where you don't want to be. I have notice that in such cases traction control is late to notice that I'm skidding since all tires are kind of statics, when it realize what is happening it will react, but yes is kind of scary for a while more if you are heading toward the opposite lane.

Just be careful on those melt/freeze days.

Today my RAV exhibited 2 bouts of understeer on snow covered streets.
First was on freshly falling snow on an inclined S curve. Speed was slow for the conditions outside - falling snow. As I turned the wheels to go left and follow the road the RAV kept on going straight until I took my foot off of the accelerator pedal completely. I was able to recover control without coming to a stop. Very unnerving!

Second time was in 3 inches of loose, dirty, driven on, unpacked snow. I was making a U turn at slow speed and the RAV kept going straight while the wheels were hard over left. Again, I recovered by taking foot off of gas pedal.

What could/should I have done different to avoid the problem?
Tires are at 33 PSI and all nanny features were 'ON'. AWD was not locked either.

I know, DON'T GO LEFT IN THE SNOW!

#25 ·
So after driving in three snow storms. Next winter I probably will be getting a set of winter tires. Maybe x ice3. It seems that since I was use to my sedan in the same winter storm there is not too much difference.

I did find on loose dirty drirven over snow at intersections where pile up. I had a slight problem with my all season michies. But over all it seems most cities and counties where I live. Do a overall good job at trying to clean snow off the roads. I mean I know enough not to go 65 mph during snow storm. Others unfortunately don't. Not having awd is not too much of a problem. If I lived in area where there were harsher winters maybe get awd and maybe getting a real 4wd system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.