What are you NOT happy about with your Rav4? - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara525 View Post
...... The only thing that's really bothering me so far is there's no place for the garage door opener. I've been keeping it in the weirdo triangle cubby. I don't like it on the visor....
We put some double sided velcro tape on the opener and attached it in the center cubbyhole at the bottom of dash. That way it stays out of sight. The only problem I have is the tape is not sticky enough and lets go in cold weather sometimes. You can also get some aftermarket solutions which I considered like this one New Toyota RAV4 2013 2014 Home Link Kit 00016 42022 | eBay but decided against it. This is actually supplied by a Toyota dealer in the USA, but we cannot get it through a dealer in Canada. It was the same way with the door edge guard kit that I ordered from ebay.

2014 RAV4 Limited Magnetic Grey/TerraCotta
2010 F150
2001 Mustang (track toy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM

The gearing is the only thing I dislike about the rav4. Just the slightest incline and its downshifting. A little more power wouldn't hurt either like 200hp or so.
post #23 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 PM

I don't like the fact that the driver's seat has to go forward as it goes up. Also not as much leg room as I am used too. Also don't like that my roof moulding came loose after drive thru car wash and hood visible vibrates when driving at high speed. What i like is the cost to fill up the gas tank.

post #24 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM

2014 XLE
How easily the (hood) paint chips.
That it doesn't have LED headlights like the Corolla.
The LED DRLs are not an option.
The Nav HD traffic works about 10% of the time even though I am within range of transmitters 100% of the time.
The rear cargo light is useless.
Nav system unavailable (to passengers) while moving.
Option to sound horn instead of chirp when lock / unlock with remote.
Dash switch to turn on all interior lights would be nice.
No rear 12 volt socket.
I am on my third windshield in 15,000 miles -- soft glass??? Driven only on paved roads.
post #25 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post
The gearing is the only thing I dislike about the rav4. Just the slightest incline and its downshifting. A little more power wouldn't hurt either like 200hp or so.
Solution: V6! But even the V6 will downshift on steep hills, but it is hardly noticeable and the hills are probably steeper than a 4-banger could tolerate without going into 3rd. Or redlining. Kidding on the redlining.

I'm pretty sure Toyota will introduce their turbo-4 into their mainstream vehicles real soon now.

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl
The Following User Says Thank You to pico For This Useful Post:
snowboarder (02-04-2015)
post #26 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
Solution: V6! But even the V6 will downshift on steep hills, but it is hardly noticeable and the hills are probably steeper than a 4-banger could tolerate without going into 3rd. Or redlining. Kidding on the redlining.

I'm pretty sure Toyota will introduce their turbo-4 into their mainstream vehicles real soon now.
I was looking for a new vehicle at the time. I might of picked up one if it was available. A 6 speed manual would probably solve this. Death of the manual is sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowboarder For This Useful Post:
pico (02-04-2015)
post #27 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agray56 View Post
We put some double sided velcro tape on the opener and attached it in the center cubbyhole at the bottom of dash. That way it stays out of sight. The only problem I have is the tape is not sticky enough and lets go in cold weather sometimes. You can also get some aftermarket solutions which I considered like this one New Toyota RAV4 2013 2014 Home Link Kit 00016 42022 | eBay but decided against it. This is actually supplied by a Toyota dealer in the USA, but we cannot get it through a dealer in Canada. It was the same way with the door edge guard kit that I ordered from ebay.

Try this site for the HOME LINK solution: Welcome to MITO-Auto
Get the correct part number then try AutoAnything for the sale!

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
post #28 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Things about RAV4 that could be better.

Shifts into a higher gear(s) way too quick. There is no need to use 6th below 55 MPH.

Quieter exhaust, it sounds like a tractor around town, that makes the excessive shifting all the more noticeable. Most of the shifts would not be noticeable if they could not heard. It would be more refined if the exhaust was quiet like the 7th gen Camry.

Tire pressure display buried, not user friendly, it should be easier to call up.

No "HomeLink", dealer said the limited had it, he was wrong. Added mirror with home link.

Weak horns, replaced with 7th gen Camry horns.

Slop and water gets on the bottom insides of the doors, will have to look at adding a foam strip to keep it out.

Crappy retractable luggage area cover, was a pain in the a$$, quickly took it out. Needs hard cover like even low bucks hatches have.

Plastic bag hooks in cargo area too low and too few.

Otherwise the RAV4 does well, just a bit rough around the edges.
post #29 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post

5) Very upset over the Very nice new rims on the 2015 XLE over our 2014.
Thinking about asking for Free New 2015 Rims.

You mean rims like mine
I was washing the car and rims the other day and realized there is a lot of clearcoat on the rims. The finish looks real good and a deep shine.

post #30 of 667 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 AM

Garage
Locking front/rear diffs would be cool but that is the only fundamental change I would make to mine. It has shown itself to be much more capable than I expected offroad but still felt a little bit like I was one wheeling sometimes on slippery ice. Still thinking about welding the rear diff.

Drivetrain could be smoother on power delivery/lift off, seems to be a lot of backlash or windup in there which can cause juddering with too little throttle finesse. Might just be mine having worn mounts somewhere but yet to find anything obvious.

Accidental RAVer

1988 MR2 NA Manual in White. Current resto project. Frightening amounts of RUST!
1996 Mazda MX5. Used to be Merlot in a previous life. Killed by rust, resurrected by the power of welding. Abused shoestring drifter with ebay coilovers, welded diff and rattle can paint job every few months.
1998 RAV4 3 door, Fulltime 4WD Manual in Royal Sapphire Pearl with tapedeck and CD changer- codename Ravewagon.
2002 Yaris D-4D in Midnight Pine. Used and abused runabout.
The Following User Says Thank You to wigwambam For This Useful Post:
Sher (03-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page