What are you NOT happy about with your Rav4? - Page 51 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recent Trip and Dislikes

I just took a trip to Georgia and back = 1,000 miles each way.
1. Many states require you to use your headlights when using the windshield wipers. If you have the lights on during the day, you cannot see the time because it dims. Leave the darn thing on full bright all the time, please!
2. The top of the steering wheel blocks the top of the speedometer! Every time I have to touch the brakes and the cruise goes off, I needed to peak over the steering wheel to see what my speed was when I got going again. Time for a digital speedo that is down where you can always read it.
3. Again, why couldn't they keep three intermittent wiper speeds?!!
4. When you are traveling at normal street speeds, the 6-speed auto is fine. When you are going 70MPH and going up a grade, the downshift will snap your neck!!!!!!!!!!!
5. They need to make all of the asinine tire pressure sensors the same for all years and all models. What do they gain by making them all different? I wanted my 09 aluminum wheels on my 14 and the dealer couldn't make anything work. Now, I'm stuck with steel wheels and plastic wheel covers unless I want to spend mega bucks for new wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodak_jack For This Useful Post:
sparky52 (10-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 AM

Kodak Jack, I have a 2006 Rav with a 4 cylinder 9The engine that loses oil constanly) so Iam looking into a 2012 V6.
post #503 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,345 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I just took a trip to Georgia and back = 1,000 miles each way.
1. Many states require you to use your headlights when using the windshield wipers. If you have the lights on during the day, you cannot see the time because it dims. Leave the darn thing on full bright all the time, please!
You should be able to turn your dimmer switch all the way up until you feel the click. This should keep it at full brightness--that's how I keep mine set.

Quote:
2. The top of the steering wheel blocks the top of the speedometer! Every time I have to touch the brakes and the cruise goes off, I needed to peak over the steering wheel to see what my speed was when I got going again. Time for a digital speedo that is down where you can always read it.
Can't you tilt the wheel slightly? I thought all RAV4's came with a tilt wheel.

Quote:
3. Again, why couldn't they keep three intermittent wiper speeds?!!
You must have the LE model. Up until 2012, ALL RAV4's had variable intermittent wipers. And there are more than 3 delay settings--you can position the knob in between the 3 detents for infinite delay times. Toyota got rid of this in 2013 to save a nickel and a dime.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"
•Tow Prep •Autodim mirror w/compass
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #504 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Junebug, Kodak_Jack is right, the clock stays dim if the headlights or parking lights are on and you cannot see the clock in daylight. On my 2007 van I could move the dimmer switch up past the click and the clock would get bright, on my 2015 Rav4 only the screen gets bright but the clock stays dim.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 17K miles
post #505 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky52 View Post
Kodak Jack, I have a 2006 Rav with a 4 cylinder 9The engine that loses oil constanly) so Iam looking into a 2012 V6.
Is it assumed that all 4 cylinders eat oil? My 09 did not. I don't know what you use yours for (towing, etc.), but I don't see the need for the V-6. My 14 is all wheel drive and I still don't think it needs more power for normal driving. My complaint is the 6-speed auto downshifting at the slightest grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodak_jack For This Useful Post:
Gryphon (10-27-2016)
post #506 of 571 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post

Can't you tilt the wheel slightly? I thought all RAV4's came with a tilt wheel.
I have it where it is comfortable for me to drive - down.

You must have the LE model. Up until 2012, ALL RAV4's had variable intermittent wipers. And there are more than 3 delay settings--you can position the knob in between the 3 detents for infinite delay times. Toyota got rid of this in 2013 to save a nickel and a dime.
If you think about it, if they left it alone, the parts were already in the design and stocked. By taking the speeds away, it required a redesign and new parts = MORE money! Change for the sake of change.
FWIW, I'm glad this Rav has all wheel drive. The 09 was front wheel and, if the drive wheel slipped on ice or whatever, I had NO throttle for 5 seconds. If I was pulling out into traffic and this happened, I was a sitting duck. Then, it would suddenly give you throttle when you least expected it and send you zipping along - UNLESS - it slipped again and then it would repeat the whole process. IMHO, this is VERY dangerous. I hope the AWD takes care of it.
post #507 of 571 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 PM

It's amazing we all seem to have the same complaints. Apparently Toyota does not conduct any market research. I also think they are cheap. My 10-year-old Volvo had dual electrically operated seats with memory and key control, automatic headlights and wipers, Lombard cushions in both front seats. A much more sensible key lock system. A better stereo. A full-size spare. In short, the car was much better planned and it was not their top-of-the-line.
My XLE has the light sensor in the dash that dims the audio module but it's not wired to operate the headlights or dash lights. That's just poor design and sacrifices our safety. They probably saved $3.
I like the Toyota reliability but I think this will be my last.
post #508 of 571 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I know that this is a gen. 4 thread, but in general I like my '11 RAV4 V6 Base model with the Enhanced Value package and towing prep. Having said that, the seats are uncomfortable for long drives and I wish that there were more steering wheel adjustment available as I can't get it high enough, and even at max. adjustment the wheel is too close. Also, while the V6 is fast and gets good mileage in highway driving, in town the mileage is terrible. The gearbox downshifts if it even smells that an uphill grade is near when it could easily pull the grade in 5th (top) gear.

If Hyundai begins making the Santa Cruz pickup and equips it with the rumored 190 HP, 300 ft./lb. torque diesel engine and manual gearbox options I probably will let my wife have the RAV and trade in her older CR-V for the Santa Cruz.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #509 of 571 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauly View Post
It's amazing we all seem to have the same complaints. Apparently Toyota does not conduct any market research. I also think they are cheap. My 10-year-old Volvo had dual electrically operated seats with memory and key control, automatic headlights and wipers, Lombard cushions in both front seats. A much more sensible key lock system. A better stereo. A full-size spare. In short, the car was much better planned and it was not their top-of-the-line.
My XLE has the light sensor in the dash that dims the audio module but it's not wired to operate the headlights or dash lights. That's just poor design and sacrifices our safety. They probably saved $3.
Gotta compare apples to apples. How much did your Volvo cost 10 years ago? Was it comparable to the cost of a RAV4 at that time? Does the RAV4 have any features the Volvo doesn't have?

The RAV4 is Toyota's bottom-of-the-line crossover. So you really can only compare it to other cars in that category. For example, my mom's Camry cost less than my RAV4, yet it has some features that my RAV4 does not. On the flip side, it doesn't have some features that my RAV4 has. But it's tough to compare two cars that aren't in the same category.

My Fleet:
2002 Nissan Xterra - 197K
2007 Toyota Tundra - 113K
2015 Toyota Tacoma - 15K
2016 Toyota RAV4 - 1K
post #510 of 571 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauly View Post
Why did you not go for another Volvo since it will likely have been improved even more over your 10-year old, which you say is better that a RAV4 in many aspects?

Seriously just wanted to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page