What are you NOT happy about with your Rav4? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
What are you NOT happy about with your Rav4?

Disclaimer: I do not intend for this to be a flame thread or troll bait, but I am curious what things folks here would like to change about their Rav4s?

I am now over 35,000 miles and sat at the dealership this weekend shocked about how quickly time flies. I bought my car in July 2013 and have obviously racked up a lot of miles since then. Overall, I am very pleased but have a few things for Toyota to improve upon going forward:

1) Ride Quality. At first, it did not bother me, but the ride could be a bit smoother and also quieter. I am looking forward to replacing my Bridgestone Dueler tires to see if that helps, but the ride has really become a bit harsh and I feel like the cabin is unnecessarily loud over 60 MPH. I plan to move to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires after these - I've used them in the past and they're the best tire I've experienced.

2) Connectivity/Electronics. I've had frustrations with the electronics in this car since day one, with BTSA automatically turning on and not turning off, overriding USB, etc. Ever since iOS 8 was released, I have nonstop issues with the connection between car and iPhone "loading" that requires multiple plug and unplug attempts, restarting my phone, restarting my car, etc. This is a disaster that Toyota needs to fix.

3) Gas Mileage. I drive aggressively and admit that, so I know that my MPG is not going to be the best, but I am bothered by how bad MPG gets above 70 mph. There is a pretty steep drop off if you are going 75+ mph. A CVT or extra gear in the transmission would help.

4) Narrow Driver's Seat. I am 6'1 and pretty broad, and the seats were "snug" for me when new. With some wear and tare, the bottom cushions have flattened out a bit to accommodate my frame and I miss the support that was there before. I'd like to see a wider seat and perhaps narrower bolsters. As it stands now, the cushions are pretty narrow and the bolsters seem huge.

Overall, that's really all I can complain about, and I've been very happy.
  • The Rav has been rock-solid reliable
  • When I'm not going 75 MPH, it gets pretty decent mileage
  • The AWD system is second to none and saved me from our Snowmageddon last year
  • It's "right-size" for about everything
  • JBL sound system is great
  • Great interior layout that gets lots of compliments
  • Aside from the harsh ride, I love the handling and overall steering feel
  • Acceleration is pretty peppy in Sport mode for a 4 cyl AWD CUV
  • Softex has been great and still looks brand new - resisting a year and a half of wear and tear, dog claws, spills, etc.
  • Paint, internal and external materials have all held up very well

I have always compared this generation of Rav4 to a second generation Lexus RX - I think they drive very similarly (before the RX gained 500lbs and became so much "floatier." I know they're really two very different vehicles, but to me, the Rav4 initially felt like a "little Lexus" and I still maintain that a year and a half and 35k miles later. It's well built, rock solid and drives like a more expensive vehicle.

I don't regret my decision to buy one bit! How about you guys?

2013 Rav4 Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray/Black, JBL, BSM, RCTA
4300k Morimoto HID, 5000k LED Fogs, LED interior conversion

Last edited by JuneBug; 04-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MPLexus301 For This Useful Post:
Robert831 (01-21-2016), Sher (03-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok I totally agree with you on seats. MY NUMBER 1 complaint. I too have a 13 leftover fwd le. I got the le cause when I first sat in the xle. I thought it was too tight for me or something was going on with me on that day. I just sat in a 2015 xle and the faux leather felt better for my frame.

My complaint is that it needs lumbar support. A few people have complained on this site and got told their seats were super fine. I do not have faux leather cloth.
Also the seat on the le was wider for me. Maybe we should switch.

The whole noise thing I agree with too. For gas I knew going in that gas would cost me more. EXCEPT that now gas has gone down across US it cost me about 1/2 the cost to fill up. So that part is great. I have mitch latitude tires and the are mostly quiet on the road. I love the space to carry things and a big reason for now that I got it.

OOO ya my most current complaint is that onthe dash on very cold winter days and night cold air is coming thru when I have the heat at the icon setting and second lowest one, I just told dealer about it. The day I took it in was not a good day since there was six inches and hard to go fast about 65mph. This is when I feel it the most. Do you have this issue. And the top of the dash board get cold, more than a car?

Hate how snow and ice build up on the inside door when you open it. This should not be happening. Its not like I hate it and right now dont regret buying it. But in a few years probably go back to a car. Only to get a better ride experience, giving up the space option. To me and toyota words not mine. They said in future they hope to go back building quality car/suv and not quanity ones. Lets see if that is true.
post #3 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I sold my 2013 RAV4 after 16 months of ownership for the following reasons:

- Ride - way too harsh. I wasn't expecting the RAV to have Avalon-like ride, but it was way too bad to be acceptable. I came from an FJ Cruiser, which can hardly be considered to have a "limousine-like" ride, yet this hard-core off-roader had a much more comfortable and pleasant ride that the RAV.

- Excessive engine noise - OK while coasting or driving at steady speed, but too obtrusive under even mild acceleration or when going uphill.

- Erratic transmission behavior - shifting to too high gear just to downshift back 5 seconds later, shifting from 6th gear down to 4th upon slightest touch of the gas pedal at highway speeds or even minor incline, shooting the rpms from 2000 to 4500 and making the engine scream, "forgetting" about the existence of 6th gear above 75 mph. Moreover, this is clearly a software tuning issue, because both Camry and Venza which have exactly the same transmission as the RAV don't have these issues.

These issues were enough to drive me away from the RAV. Comparing to the RAV, the old FJ seemed positively luxurious (in terms of ride and engine noise).

post #4 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhog View Post

OOO ya my most current complaint is that onthe dash on very cold winter days and night cold air is coming thru when I have the heat at the icon setting and second lowest one, I just told dealer about it. The day I took it in was not a good day since there was six inches and hard to go fast about 65mph. This is when I feel it the most. Do you have this issue. And the top of the dash board get cold, more than a car?
This is not a unique RAV's issue. It happens with many cars on very cold weather. What happens is that a small amount of air is directed towards the windshield through the defroster openings, it hits the ice-cold windshield, and then blows over the dash straight onto your hands on the steering wheel. I can feel it in every car I drive - my wife's Highlander, my Venza, and my son's Dodge Avenger. The "cure" is to increase the defroster air flow by changing the settings manually. You will find similar complaints on other automotive forums (for example Subaru Outback). In some cars it becomes noticeable around freezing temperatures, in others it takes much lower temperature.
The Following User Says Thank You to katekebo For This Useful Post:
dehill (03-05-2015)
post #5 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my '15 XLE 2 weeks ago after driving a '12 Highlander SE for 3 years.

Things I don't like:
Instrument cluster isn't lit up all the time - pain to read gauges during the day.
Horn is too dang whimpy. Period. Amen. (On my mod list.)
Windshield could use the electric defroster for the wipers.
Lacking a 'headlight on' indicator.
Rear hatch should have an exposed handle on the inside - just in case.

Nothing major as one can see.

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey D. For This Useful Post:
mauly (11-18-2016)
post #6 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D. View Post

Things I don't like:
Instrument cluster isn't lit up all the time - pain to read gauges during the day.
Simply drive with your headlights always on. You will be more visible to the other guy, and your instrument cluster will be lit up. And the headlights turn off automatically anyway.

Quote:
Rear hatch should have an exposed handle on the inside - just in case.
Right you are, and remember--if your battery goes dead, you can't open the rear hatch....so don't keep your jumper cables back there!

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #7 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhog View Post
[... snip ...] Hate how snow and ice build up on the inside door when you open it. This should not be happening
Agreed! I have OEM mudflapps on my RAV4, and in Winter with snow when I depart the vehicle all the sh*t built up sluffs off on my pants. I'm a hard-core kinda sufferer, but there are occasions when I don't want to get funky,

WTF was Toyota thinking of? Well, I suspect the team who brings the very best to streamlining the vehicle did their very good thing and the stylists did the same with the result being a stalemate. If we carefully regard all the little things Toyota does to streamline the RAV4 we should be amazed.

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl
post #8 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Things we don't like on our 2014:

1) Gets dirty when driven in winter slush.

2) Poor passing power on 100F days with 5 adults and luggage.

3) SiriusXM cuts out when driving in tunnels.

4) Is rated 1 point behind the CRV in CR's 2015 Buyers Guide.

5) Very upset over the Very nice new rims on the 2015 XLE over our 2014.
Thinking about asking for Free New 2015 Rims.

2018 To be determined.
2014 Super White AWD XLE. Black Interior, Side Moldings. We love it.
2010 Base I-4 4WD Silver, Grey Interior. We loved it.
2006 Base I-4 FWD Gold, Tan Interior. We liked it.
post #9 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 PM

Garage
1. Fuel mileage not as good as expected
2. Audio system sound is crappy, supposedly for a premium system on the Limited
3. Ride quality over bumps/potholes - rear suspension hits too hard.
4. Same erratic transmission behavior described above.
5. NO BUILT IN GARAGE DOOR OPENER!!!!! This is unforgivable in my mind

As most, I like the vehicle overall.

2014 RAV4 Limited Magnetic Grey/TerraCotta
2010 F150
2001 Mustang (track toy)
post #10 of 582 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:33 AM

2014 Limited
1) Road/tire noise transmitted into the interior
2) Harsh ride a slow speeds, i.e.- expansion joints, manhole covers
3) Crappy radio sound quality
4) No HomeLink (really stupid omission)
5) Cheesey center console storage design

Wish the driver memory settings would include mirror position/climate control & radio (my wife and I are complete opposites and my Cadillac includes all of these items)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page