Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Games Toyota dealers play

17K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  CB91710 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why did Jerry's Toyota in Baltimore inflate the tires on my new Rav to 48 psi?

#2 ·
They didn't, the factory did.

It's for transportation and storage purposes.
Sometimes vehicles can sit for many months before being sold. This ensures the tires won't be low.

However, your dealer obviously did not do a thorough pdi and lower the pressure to recommended values.

#9 ·
CARMAX. I bought my RAV from them in January...no hassle what so ever!

#12 ·
Yep, that's the difference between asking and telling.

#15 ·
I forget if it was jerry dealer or not. Live in PA but one close to baltimore. they had a great price on a new 13rav le fwd. Every time I asked for otd price they either had a add on cost or would not answer me. When I got very close they stop emailing me. I was going to drive the 2 hrs to buy. But never could get otd pricing. Finally had to tell them to buzz off.

#18 ·
I always buy through Fleet, Costco and internet so there is no high pressure sales.
I know my trade-in will be lower somewhat but accept that for a no hassle deal.
Then you get to the highest paid guy in the food chain, THE FINANCE GUY, and suddenly you are dealing with a salesman again.
Some day I will walk in with cash and say F U to that guy.☺

#29 ·
If you have a Toyota to trade in, you don't need the dealer. Here in NJ, used Toyotas sell VERY quickly at great prices.

#19 ·
I bought my '15 XLE from Jean @ CARMAX and I had no problem what so ever with any finance guy - Jean wore two hats. The price I saw on-line was the price I would pay, less with a trade in of course! He briefly mentioned the protection plans but said I didn't have to buy one now because I had time (like 3 years worth :wink)!

#21 ·
The last 2 cars we bought new from the dealer. Both times we went in knowing exactly what we wanted and they got them for us no hassles. If someone walks into the dealer not knowing what they want, the dealer is going to try pushing you into what is best for them. This dealer has a no haggle policy, they tell you right up front what the price is, about $1500+ off sticker, although they gave us an additional $200 off when I started talking about a Forester.
For the first car we didn't even talk to a F & I person, it was a cash purchase. On the second car we made a cursory trip through the F & I office, they knew if we were confident in what we wanted there was not much sense trying to talk us into anything. Paying cash helps by cutting out a big part of the dealer sales scheme. Visiting a credit union or bank first to set up a purchase plan is a good idea.

#23 ·
The Thread should really be "Games Dealers Play." But, this being a Toyota Forum I understand. Just don't single out Toyota. There are Horrible Dealers, and Superb Dealers. There is good advise in here.

If you find a Good Dealer like we did 12 years ago. Try and stay with them if possible. A good dealership will value your customer loyalty further than one might imagine. They make their profits from Service. Very little (not nothing) from new vehicle sales.

On our 2014 our Dealer charged a $39.00 Document Processing Fee. Period. No charge to transfer the plates. Took care of all the insurance work, and made sure it spent the morning in the detail shop prior to pick up.

Of course this was the 4th Toyota from the same dealership, and the same salesperson over the last 12 years. It does make a difference.

#28 ·
Bought my RAV in MD and paid $99 in fees. They even provided a disclaimer regarding the fee.

#31 ·
I had this experience that the sales woman was very pushy. She tried to control the whole conversation and at first I tried to just listen to all her BS.
First, she said all cars they sell comes with a "Free Lifetime Oil Change" as long as you own it. Second, all their cars comes with a clear protective films at door handle cups, door edges, and front bumper (but not at the hood and front fenders where chipping always happen) so customer has to pay extra. Lastly, she asked me what color I am interested. When I said magnetic grey metallic, she said each color has different prices too. Then I told her when I purchased my Mercedes, there is extra amount for metallic paint job, even MBUSA website stated that. But that didn't say that at Toyota website. Then I started walking out and she asked me to give her a chance to talk to her managers. But I just continued to leave.
When I told that story to my co worker and she said when she bought her 2014 Camry new last year, she paid extra for buying a black car. She bought it from a different Toyota dealer, but owned by the same company. :surprise

#33 ·
Our local dealers must have got together, as most of them add stuff to the price of the car, like Paint Protection, Interior Protection, etc. The local Toyota dealer added $1,200 to the cost of each RAV4, for no reason. The sticker said
Manufactures Suggested Retail Price - $28,400 (same price as you could work it up on the Toyota website).
Then below that they had
Distributors Suggested Retail Price - $29,600

Then they started adding Dealer Installed Options

By the time they were finished, the $28,400 sticker price was $31,400.

I didn't even talk with these guys. If the options added are from the manufacturer then I know I am getting some value for my money. With Dealer installed options, you have no clue if that Exterior Paint Protection for $490 is really something good or a cheap coat of spray on wax.

When I bought my Hyundai Elentra, the local dealer added $$1,390 in dealer installed options to every car. While we were talking a 18 wheeler pulled in and had what I was looking for. I said there is one that has nothing added to it and the Salesman said - I am sorry we add those options to every car. So out the door I went. Now do they do that to give me a better car or to make money?????

#34 ·
Generally, exterior paint protection is the application of a clear 3M film on the leading edges of vulnerable surfaces.
My '03 Tundra had it on the bottom 6" of the rear fender flares (where rocks kicked up from the front tires would hit it).
Wife's '15 XLE has it under the door handles to prevent fingernail scratches.

There is an option to have it applied to the leading edge of the hood and fenders, and being a 3M product and given that being a 3M dealer is a license to print money, $500 would not be a surprising cost for that.
3M products are excellent... the problem is, they know it.

#35 ·
Generally, exterior paint protection is the application of a clear 3M film on the leading edges of vulnerable surfaces.
I am about 99% sure that 3M material was not what your were buying at this dealership.

Toyota will give you this as a factory option for $499
Lusterizing Sealant
Sealant Cleaner
Fabric Guard
Rental Car Assistance
Paint Protection Film - leading edge of hood, door edges, door handle cups and side mirror backs on applicable vehicles

#36 ·
My most recent pet peeve is with dealers who aren't up front about the incentives/rebates figured into their online advertised price. I'm currently looking to buy a 2015 RAV4 and saw a very good price advertised online. I inquired over the phone and was not only told that the price advertised is what I would pay, but that I could get an even better deal if I came in for a test drive. When I went in last week I was told that the advertised price included the active military and recent college graduate rebates, neither of which I qualify for. I have no problems with Toyota offering these incentives but dealers need to be up front about them being including in online pricing. So in my case, instead of "negotiating an even better deal', as the dealer stated over the phone, they added $1500 onto the advertised price. I told them I was unhappy that this was not conveyed over the phone. It would've saved me an hour drive. After the "let's see what my manager can do" routine, they came down $250 but not enough to get me into the target range I had researched. Needless to say I walked out.

#38 ·
You better have walked out!

#37 ·
Best case is a future where the dealership is the one cut out of the equation. All buyers need is a service shop & try before you buy drop-off at your door.

The old model is outdated and costly driving vehicle prices well beyond their actual value. This leave little chance for ownership due to low wages meaning most have become "renters".

#40 ·
In 2005 I was shopping for a small new station wagon and saw a great price in the newspaper and went down to the dealer to buy it but they said the price was for military and a new college graduate which was not mentioned in the newspaper add. I sent the copy of the newspaper add to our local consumer protection person with the Attorney Generals office and about 10 days later I received a call from the AG's office saying I could go and puchase it at the add price. I noticed that they never omitted those qualifiers in their adds after that.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 5500 miles

#42 ·
This is repetitious, but when I bought my '15 XLE the price I saw on the computer was the price I paid at the dealership. No haggle, no fussing.

I did drive 5 hours to get the vehicle, but it was worth the trip. Even put some 'break-in' milage on it too!

#49 ·
AAA has a car buying program....you tell them exactly what you want...they locate it...get it delivered to the AAA and you test drive it there. NO haggling and no dealing with the dealership whatsoever! Guarenteed to beat the dealers MSRP ..Had we known before we committed...we would have taken advantage of their service.

Meh thinks car dealership salesmen are going to be a thing of the past...with their shark in the tank attitudes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.