Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rougher ride in LTD vs. XLE?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  agray56 
#1 ·
We will probably buy a RAV4 w/in the next couple of weeks; debating btwn XLE and LTD. We are currently renting an XLE from the local Toyota dealer; renting is so much more helpful than around-the-block test drives that we had with the Escape, CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Mazda CX5.

A couple of professional reviewers have commented that the LTD rides a bit rougher/busier than LE & XLE because it has larger tires. Is this really true? A 10 min test drive in the LTD (no LTDs are avail for rent at this dealer) would not reveal much in the way of comparing the two.

Also, apparently the tech pkg (primarily blind spot monitoring) is not that easy to find at least among S. Florida dealers. Maybe it is more popular in other parts of US.

Thanks for any comments.

#4 ·
The lower profile/shorter sidewall of the 18" wheels/tires are going have a bit less flex. Great for handling and stability, but at the price of being able to help absorb a bit of bumps and imperfections in the road. To me it the difference is not all that noticeable and the minor trade off is worth it.

#6 ·
+1 agreed. I think the difference has been blown out of proportion. I have driven both and found the ride is very similar

Reactions: hms46
#7 ·
Thanks for all the helpful comments. We will know what to expect should we decide on the Ltd. The primary reason we are considering the Ltd are power seats/lumbar support and the tech package. However, XLE seats seem to fit us really well and they have what I consider good lumbar support despite what the professional reviews say. As for the tech pkg, they seem to be hard to find around our area.

Anyway, we will go to Toyota dealer to look at the Ltd next week to compare to XLE that we are renting. Would like to wrap this up by Apr 30.

#13 ·
I tested the XLE and the Limited before I bought mine. I found the ride and handling to be about the same. I chose the Limited as the driver's seat has lumbar support. It's a serious oversight on Toyota's part not to include it on all models. How much more could it possible cost them???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.