Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Removing Front Seats

28K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  jdelom 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how the front seats attach to the frame? I.e. did Toyota use bolts (removable) or rivets? Is there anything else I need to know about removing the seats?

Thanks so much!

#5 ·
Not too much to it. I removed the seats to install the pads and wiring for heated seats. There are four 14mm bolts holding each seat in place, one at each corner and covered by a plastic trim piece.

As mentioned above, disconnect the battery and wait a bit before disconnecting the yellow airbag connectors under each seat. I removed the bolts first and then tipped the seats back for easier access to the connectors.

#7 ·
For the two rear trim pieces, move the seat to the forward position and then...
Wiggle your fingers tips under both sides at the rear of the plastic trim piece where in contacts the carpet and apply outward and gentle upward pressure. There are two tabs that hold it to the metal seat frame. Once it releases and pops up slightly, pull the trim piece rearward and slide it off the rail.

#16 ·
Hello I am needing to remove my passenger seat on my 2019 rav4. Dog had a disastrous accident only way to get a good cleaning is removing the seat. Anyone know where to start? I see above begin with disconnecting battery. I see bolts on the frame where the seat slides back and forth. Am I able to use a regular tool?

#17 ·
The seats in the 5th generation RAV4 are mounted with Torx bolts, so you will need a Torx bit set. They are high grade bolts that are torqued a lot, so you will need good tools. The pictures in this thread shows what they look like: Extending the front seat on the RAV4 for tall people

Since there is an air bag in the front seats, you must disconnect the battery and wait for about 30 minuets for the air bag back up power source to run down. Do that before you disconnect the wire harness connector(s) under the seat. There may be several connectors depending on what options you have, such a heated seats, power seats, etc.

The seats are fairly easy to remove, but cumbersome, so you may need a friend to help you get them out.

This T-SB may be of help (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204571-9999.pdf), for it shows how to pull up the carpet and any padding under the carpet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.