Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

They scratched my car :(

7K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mclass555 
#1 ·
I went to get my 2nd oil change for my 2014 rav4. This toyota place has always been good with service and their staff is very friendly but this is what happened...:frown

Went to get oil change, the guy said I could get a free car wash so I said yes.
Waited in waiting room, oil change was done.
There were tons of dandelion seeds flying outside so lots of cars that got washed were covered with them. I didn't notice my hood scratched up because of that.
I got home, and noticed something on the front driver side. Then I looked at the hood and there were scratches everywhere.
I took photos right away then I called up the dealership about a concern. I left a voicemail since the service manage I believe, that I wanted to speak to wasn't there.

You can't notice it in the photos since it's very sunny right now.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/v4x9/20150528_1112452_zpsg1jzvui1.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/v4x9/20150528_1112432_zpsboghbnju.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/v4x9/20150528_1112372_zpsvqhuq5th.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/v4x9/20150528_1113111_zpslcfjfiui.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
Scratches are visible - on the left side of the hood it appears as though someone had put something abrasive onto it temporarily and then dragged it when removing it. Looks like scratches also on right fender, if so likely caused by something else. Keep us posted about how the dealer handles the issue. From my experience dealer service departments can damage vehicles.

#4 ·
hard so say how deep, if you wet the scratch, and it looks a lot better, it's still in the clear coat and can be buffed by a pro, not the guy working at the dealership!

if it doesn't really make it look any better, it's because it's in the color coat, and it will never be perfect...

#6 ·
People that dont want to read a long post: Dealer tried to help fix the issue. :)

The dealer was very kind. Let me talk slower so people can understand what happened.
-----------------------------------
When my 2nd free oil change was done, it was 10:47am.
When I took the photos and called the dealership about this problem, my phone's log says 11:10am.
There was no way for me to scratch my own car between those times. Google maps says it takes 10 mins to drive from the dealership to my house without traffic. :<

The head guy for the service department was at a meeting but around 1:04pm he calls me telling me he would like a look at it. I drive back to the dealership and he says he will buff it out for me plus look at the video feed around the shop and the car wash. Some mins later, he comes back telling me they tried buffing it but it won't look perfect. He showed me the car then said he could put touch up paint. During the same time he had shown me 2 video stills of my car. 1 is when I brought it in (but we can't see the hood because of the light reflection and camera quality) and 2 when it was getting the oil change done (It was too far away to even see anything). The car looks better then before with scratches but you can still tell something happened. He was very kind and pleasant with me. He kept telling me "give me a chance to help you out before your write stuff." This is being directed to the fact that from 11:10am to 1:04pm I went to all the review sites I could and wrote about my problem. Google, facebook's review page on the dealership, yelp....and even e-mailed them on their website telling them I have written reviews everywhere I could with 1 star. But the service had always been great to us at that place.
@Leonard1818
yah i'm going to go back to hand washing the car.

#7 ·
So that it he tired to buff it out but it not relly out? Wow I do not know what to ask for if this ever happens to me. i mean this has to be at least the second tread this week with people who unfortunately had car scratch at dealership? I mean I guess u ask for them to fix it. But i would be so mad. I dont think if it happen to me. i could ever take my car back to where i got it from. oo god o. What is going on with all this?

#8 ·
the facts is dealerships and bodyshops have no real knowledge of buffing, they all act like they do, but they don't! using a wool pad on a rotary buffer to buff out a scratch with a filler... that only covers up the scratch, after a couple of car washes you will see the scratch back, along with a ton of holograms and hazing.

ask for them to pay for you to go see a real professionnal detailer, he will tell you if it can be fixed without a respray.

#11 ·
Hey about octane suggestion is it too late to ask them for this result? It would not hurt to ask. I said I would not know what to do but be mad at dealer. But after seeing this suggestion I would do this if it happen to me. Feel bad for u, and that dealer, cause I do not know if I could take car back to them, if they do not agree to respray. I mean so will say its not original paint, but who cares in long run. I would not want to see the scratch and be reminded all the time. Plus if u go to resell it then the scratch comes into pricing. I have a small dent on my rear door, which I know will come into play and already have some scratches, I dont like it, but tend to not think about it.

#9 ·
I would not be happy with the solution that the OP got. So what if they talk nice? I would not accept this on my 7 year old RAV!!!
If you tried to sell them the RAV in a few years from now, that's the first thing they will point out and bring the price down!

#10 · (Edited)
@vanib
I am mad inside, but I usually never take my frustration out on a random person. I know it wasn't that guy's fault. I am very sure one of the workers did this and there is no way for me to find out who nor someone would confess about this. but now that i think about the issue more and reading your post, i am more pissed at them. going to give them 2-3 stars. i even have the multi-point inspection paper which the guy wrote only 2 scratches on the door and passenger side bumper. how can they miss the hood when it was badly damaged?!?!

//edit 5.28.2015
I went back to the review sites to re-review. ticked off a little now. I went on google reviews, yelp, BBC, their facebook page.

#12 ·
I wouldn't ask for anything...I would demand it!

Their poor care and craftsmanship (yes, craftsmanship) with your RAV is not only causing you angst, it is also diminishing the value of your vehicle.

#14 · (Edited)
The dealer replied to me on facebook after I wrote a review to them to their page and toyota's facebook page. They also commented the same thing on my google review. I dont know what they can do. I invested 25k+ on that car which was my first real car then they dont treat it like it was their own.
We are so sorry to hear about your experience, Sodha. Our team is dedicated to providing careful and efficient service, and I appreciate we had the chance to speak and try our best to resolve this issue. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly so I can address any remaining concerns you have.
Sincerely,
Dan Briggs, Parts and Service Director eservice@elmhursttoyota.com
https://www.facebook.com/elmhursttoyota?sk=reviews

//edit. Update
Toyota of U.S.A just commented to my reply.
Toyota USA Our apologies for your experience with your dealer, Sodha. We recommend discussing your concern with the dealer’s Customer Relations Manager or give us a call at (800) 331-4331 if you wish to speak with us directly. Our representatives are available Monday through Friday 5 AM - 6 PM PST, and Saturday 7 AM- 4 PM. Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. –Miguel
Like · 34 minutes ago
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...7052454200&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_reply

#15 ·
The dealer replied to me on facebook after I wrote a review to them to their page and toyota's facebook page. They also commented the same thing on my google review. I dont know what they can do. I invested 25k+ on that car which was my first real car then they dont treat it like it was their own.

https://www.facebook.com/elmhursttoyota?sk=reviews

//edit. Update
Toyota of U.S.A just commented to my reply.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...7052454200&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_reply
Keep it simple. Go to a Professional Detailer- see if they can fix the scratches-get a written estimate. If yes, email the owner of the dealership in question asking for the money to fix the damage his dealership did... do this with the estimate from the Detailer. If the scratches can't be fixed send him the estimate showing that and ask for his body shop to re-paint the damage.

If this does not work there is always small claims court.

#16 ·
@focus123
If I thought of that before (i think someone else said something similar to this) i would have.

Last post.
I called Toyota of USA up and filed a concern report. There is nothing else that can be done that I know. They had given me a reference number, but that is it. It's the end of the chapter here.

Thank you all for commenting though. Very friendly community in these forums.

#18 ·
Some of the scratches on the hood can be buffed out (but that will thin out the clear coat if not down to the paint) while those scratches near the driver-side, the edge of the quarter panel and the front bumper are more likely needing touch-up (not going to look good) or even repaint (they should). Wow! If that's my car, I would #%*€£¥&@&$!!!!! Hope your dealership will do the right thing by repaint you entire front end to make it right. Best Wish on getting a satisfactory resolution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.