Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV Starting By Sattelite or Aliens!

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  pico 
#1 ·
This morning I got out of my 2015 RAV4 Limited and locked the door by the handle with my finger. (The factory fob was safely in my purse.) I turned to walk away and the car started up on its own! It freaked me out. I checked the fob in my purse and it was just laying there freely without anything pressing against it. I do have a top quality after-market remote start installed, but it requires pressing "Lock" 4 times in succession to start or stop the car (using the factory remote). The other three remotes were in the house and no one was home.

Anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

#5 ·
It could be a timed START setting with your remote start system. I had a Viper alarm w/remote start. It had a standalone remote that started my car one time ... While parked in the garage (definitely not good.) Went thru the owners manual to find out it was a feature that was turned ON.

#13 ·
Chrysler is recalling a whole lotta vehicles it makes due to 2 auto hackers admittedly taking control of a Jeep (controlled conditions?) while it was being driven on open highway!

It is frightening just what havoc can be done via computer/satellite/TEL network now days.

#14 ·
Chrysler is recalling a whole lotta vehicles it makes due to 2 auto hackers admittedly taking control of a Jeep (controlled conditions?) while it was being driven on open highway!
All true, but to add balance to the story, they informed Chrysler when they found the hack, worked with Chrysler and and waited until they had initiated a fix before announcing their find.

The fool programmer who left a port open ... don't get me started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.