Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2016 RAV4 Prices Paid

79K views 173 replies 92 participants last post by  Win262 
#1 · (Edited)
[FONT=&quot]I don't think there is a thread created yet for 2016's. I took the plunge Saturday on a 2016 SE (first 2016 sold at my local dealer!). It was hard to get good information from [FONT=&quot]any dealer[/FONT], as I knew more about the 2016's/SE than they did. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out in their new car search.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2016 RAV4 SE AWD in Black Currant Metallic (Advanced Tec[FONT=&quot]hnology Package, wheel locks, mudgu[FONT=&quot]ards, and roof rack [FONT=&quot]crossbar[FONT=&quot]s)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 35,104 MSRP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 2,000 Discount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 750 College Grad Discount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]+ 515.16 Negative equity from trade-in (got $720 over KBB dealer trade-in value, still underwater)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]+ 1,251.24 PA State Tax[/FONT]
+ 238.15 Add'l Fees
34,358.55 OTD

#2 ·
[FONT=&quot]I don't think there is a thread created yet for 2016's. I took the plunge Saturday on a 2016 SE (first 2016 sold at my local dealer!). It was hard to get good information from [FONT=&quot]any dealer[/FONT], as I knew more about the 2016's/SE than they did. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out in their new car search.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2016 RAV4 SE in Black Currant Metallic (Advanced Tec[FONT=&quot]hnology Package, wheel locks, mudgu[FONT=&quot]ards, and roof rack [FONT=&quot]crossbar[FONT=&quot]s)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 35,104 MSRP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 2,000 Discount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 750 College Grad Discount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]+ 515.16 Negative equity from trade-in (got $720 over KBB dealer trade-in value, still underwater)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]+ 1,251.24 PA State Tax[/FONT]
+ 238.15 Add'l Fees
34,358.55 OTD
That's a hell of a deal. I'm assuming its AWD? Seems like only the AWD versions are shipping with AT.

Here's my quote for the same vehicle:

Vehicle Price: $35,460.00
AutoNation Savings: - $960.00
AutoNation Price: $34,500.00

CA Sales Tax (estimate): + $3,114.82
Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.75
Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $295.00
Flat Add/County Fee: + $10.00
Electronic Filing: + $29.00
Smog Abatement Fee: + $20.00
Documentation Fee: + $80.00
Balance Due (estimate): $38,057.57

I ended up paying $32,500 OTD for my SE in Metallic Grey FWD w/o AT package.

#6 ·
Yes, I'm in Eastern PA. I used TrueCar and Autotrader to help me negotiate that discount. Autotrader had a dealer 25 miles away listing an SE for ~ $2k off. TrueCar had two dealers on it with roughly $2k off as well, a little further away. So I went into my local dealership and asked them to match that discount and give me what my desired trade-in amount was, or I would try my luck getting that deal at the next dealer. I was really happy they took my offer because they were the only dealer close to me with a black currant metallic SE on the lot.

#7 ·
Yes, CA sales tax rates are higher. However, most of the difference between the two tax numbers above is because my tax liability was reduced by my $11,500 trade-in, so I was only paying taxes on $20,854.

Some states don't reduce your tax liability for the trade-in...I believe CA is one of them.

#13 ·
Hey all, Dealer is offering me a 2016 XLE for $26,650. The dealer had installed options line zurich shield, phone cables, first aid kit, wheel locks, dual usb ports on the back. They also give me lifetime power train warranty, life time free oil change and wash. Do you think this is a good deal? Will I get a better price if I wait a couple of months? Will I get a better price if I wait a couple of months?

#16 ·
Picked up my RAV4 SE today

2016 RAV4 SE Fwd Super White/Cinnamon
OptionsL Tonneau cover, Connectivity kid, Cross bars, Protection Package Plus

MSRP $31,078
Agreed Price $29,877

Plus Taxes, etc $31,490

Less Trade-in $9,500

Total OTD $21,990 plus free cargo net thrown in

Didn't want or need the cross bars, but was only vehicle available without Navigation, which I wanted less than the cross bars. Judge is still out on connectivity kit, seems unnecessary at the moment.

The only other thing that seemed NQR was the lack of auto on/off for the headlamps. I haven't turned on headlamps since 1992 or somewhere there abouts.

#17 ·
2016 RAV4 SE Fwd Super White/Cinnamon
OptionsL Tonneau cover, Connectivity kid, Cross bars, Protection Package Plus

MSRP $31,078
Agreed Price $29,877

Plus Taxes, etc $31,490

Less Trade-in $9,500

Total OTD $21,990 plus free cargo net thrown in

Didn't want or need the cross bars, but was only vehicle available without Navigation, which I wanted less than the cross bars. Judge is still out on connectivity kit, seems unnecessary at the moment.

The only other thing that seemed NQR was the lack of auto on/off for the headlamps. I haven't turned on headlamps since 1992 or somewhere there abouts.
What's a connectivity kit? I thought 2016 entune systems didn't need any type of kit to connect to smartphones?

#18 ·
2016 RAV4 SE AWD w/ cross bars, door sills, sport and carpet mats, moonroof and leather interior (I believe both standard on the SE)

Truecar pricing, $31077
Plus taxes, fees, license $33233 (Snohomish County WA sales tax 9.1% but only pay tax on new car price minus trade-in)

Trade in $12,200 (2011 Subaru Outback, fair condition, rear-end 2014 w/ $7k worth of repairs)
Toyota Rebate $500

Financed 20533

I felt very satisfied. We were looking at Mazda X-5 Grand Touring with more bells and whistles for $32000+ truecar pricing, but the RAV4 had a better ride and just seemed to be built more solid.

#20 ·
Connectivity kit = over priced bag of red wire phone chargers. One plug-in with two USB ports + one Apple lightening cord + one Android cord.

If there's anything more to it, I don't know what it is. I prefer my black coiled phone charger, and the red of the cord clashes with my Black & Cinnamon interior.

:wink

#21 ·
Never posted but read a lot over the past 2 weeks. Wanted to post my experience.

Bought today:
Black Currant Metal
Convenience Package, Tonneau Cover, Side Body Moldings, Carpet Mat Set (5-piece). Vehicle Protection Plus Package.

Also dealer tinted windows and Nitrogen: Additional around $584

The MSRP was $31,127 but that included the Tinting and Nitrogen.

The MSRP on the Paper on the window was $30,543

Price for car was $27,151.68

I thought this price was pretty good. Another dealership in the area said ... the price was too good and doubted the dealer would sell it for that.

As far as I could tell from Edmunds the invoice is $28,136. Minus $750 rebate from Toyota is $27,386.

If you add the Doc fee of $149 to the car price, the price would be $27,300.68 which is still below the Edmunds Invoice price minus the $750 rebate. And Edmunds invoice does not include the Tinting/Nitrogen - although these cost may not be anything significant.

Obviously they must make money based on number of cars sold. Did make some from the warranty but I could have declined it. I was suckered into the 7 year warranty for $800 (started at "lowest price" $1000). The $0 deductible top one.

I was surprised of the deal.

2 options are:
0% financing and give up the $750 or take $750 and 2.9% finance (assuming you qualify)

I am in the Houston area if anyone wants a contact. He was very straight forward and helpful.

Thanks to all the other posts.

#22 ·
Is this an SE or XLE?

Silly question: What is the "Nitrogen". I'm assuming it has something to do with the tinting.

My Toyota salesman nephew told me I should have convinced the dealer to throw in tinting to make the deal. Tinting doesn't cost them anywhere near what they charge.

What dealer did you use? I bought mine at Gullo in Conroe.

#23 ·
Amazing what I forgot to include

XLE not SE
Nitrogen another gimmick. It is in the tires instead of air. If tires get flat can find a dealer that has Nitrogen but will charge a few bucks a tire. Or just add regular air and forget the nitrogen is there.

I went to Fort Bend. The salesperson I dealt with was straightforward and did answer my questions promptly. I know it is his job but he certainly came off as genuinely friendly. Other dealers around houston did not believe his price. But I think that is a reflection of this area. Of course with oil tanking better deals may be around the corner.

#26 ·
Price is just the car. Not including TTL. XLE. 6 miles on odometer.

Convenience package has the Toyota Sense Safety and other stuff. My kid will be driving at times in the near future so I wanted some of these features. Protection package has the protection film along the door handles and edge of doors. Kind of neat but if the car was cheaper and that was not there I would not have cared. I really wanted this color and did not want to end up buying some other car that was on the lot. So I felt this deal was pretty good for buying now. If you wait until memorial day I have heard the deals are better. Always better the closer you get to the new 2017 cars arrival dates. But you usually have to buy a car on the lot.

But if you are in the Houston area I think you should at least give my guy a call and ask for a quote. I did go online and check out what they had in stock and asked for a quote of a particular car. Took the VIN from the website. Hopefully they have the car you want in stock.

#29 · (Edited)
2016 Limited Hybrid

Purchased an Electric Storm Blue/Ash Limited Hybrid last night from Toyota West, Columbus, OH, a Sonic store.

MSRP was $35,093 with mud guards, all weather mats, and cross bars as the factory optional equipment. Just as listed on their website, the price was $32,341, a $2752 discount, plus a $250 doc fee (standard in Ohio).

Sonic is in the midst of a change-over at their stores in going to a one price/salaried personnel arrangement. This store is one price at present only as to internet pricing. Although the sales staff is still on commission, there was minimal pressure for paint protection, extended warranty, and the like, all of which was declined.

Two other local dealers declined to even quote against this price after explicitly saying they would not be beat, so it seemed to be a pretty good number.

#30 ·
Note that pricing can vary month to month. For example, the Canadian RAV4 Limited Hybrid we ordered went up CAD$250 today.

And yeah, nitrogen is a gimmick. Little point in it, unless it's free or near-free, or you're a race car driver. It should be noted that air is ~80% nitrogen anyway.

#31 ·
I purchased last week 2016 Rav4 Limited AWD (black/black) with Technology Package, Protection Package (includes Alloy Wheel Locks, Mudguards, Body Side Molding, Door Edge Guards), Remote Engine Starter, Carpeted Floor Mats, Tonneau Cover.

MSRP: $36492.00
Price Paid: $33701.00

I declined all other additional things the sales guy and finance guy was talking to purchase (Permaplate Paintguard, Extended Warrany, LoJack).

Attachments

#34 ·
on 1/31/2016 I purchased 2016 SE black leather interior, power liftgate, floor mats, dark tinted windows, VIN etched glass, cargo net, BSM, 6.1 inch touch screen radio with Scout GPS Link app, sun roof, push button start. MSRP Sticker was $34,605, OTD price with tax, title, reg, $28k even.

#35 ·
While the out-the-door price is paramount to many buyers, such information is of little use in a thread such as this due to widely varying tax rates and the possibility of a trade-in tax credit.

Beneficial information should include:

1) Model and MSRP;
2) Factory optional equipment;
3) Dealer installed options/accessories and their cost;
4) Dealer fees (e.g., doc fee, administrative fee);
5) Rebate applicability, if any; and
6) Purchase price.

Selling dealer information is also helpful as is any price comparisons done in the buyer's local market. Trade-in particulars can have an impact, especially if the number was notably higher or lower than expected.

Here, the buyer's claimed figures suggest a dealer discount of greater than $6000, vastly exceeding anything reported here or elsewhere on a '16 RAV4 purchase. Absent other details, such a discount at present is hard to believe.

#36 ·
Agree with Tri-C;

All the details of the pricing needs to be given so we can make an apples to apples comparison to see if we are getting a good deal.

A $6000 discount sounds way out of the park for a brand new model just announced, especially with Toyota Japan shutting down production for over a week on some models. I've actually seen some Toyota dealers increase prices this week on the Rav4's.

#37 ·
Agree with Tri-C;

All the details of the pricing needs to be given so we can make an apples to apples comparison to see if we are getting a good deal.

A $6000 discount sounds way out of the park for a brand new model just announced, especially with Toyota Japan shutting down production for over a week on some models. I've actually seen some Toyota dealers increase prices this week on the Rav4's.
Where did you see that? I'd like to know more. The inventory of hybrid RAVs in SoCal is bordering on non existent. Ever since the RAVs started shipping (last Nov), there have been very few hybrids here. And, as the gas models grew in inventory, the hybrids never have.

#40 ·
I got the following quote through Costco for a 2016 RAV4 SE in Boston.

MSRP: $31,843 (options include body side molding and rear bumper applique)
Sale Price: $28,215 + $349 dealer documentation fee (average in Boston) + TTL

The above price is inclusive of a $750 manufacturer incentive in effect this month. No trade-in.

#43 ·
Bought yesterday.

2016 SE AWD w/Advanced tech package + the following items

Carpet Floor Mats
Door Sill Protectors
Mudguards
Rear Bumper Protector
Roof Rail Cross Bars
LoJack

MSRP: $35,491
Price: $32,375 + TTL

Which made my OTD price $35,819.97

I was trying so hard to get them around $34k OTD but they would not touch it.

#45 ·
Just curious if any Canadians out there can share the prices they paid for their 2016. I have a 2015 Limited and checked what a 2016 would cost and it works out to be significantly higher ($130 a month more???). I even excluded the Technology package to make sure the packages were similar.

#46 ·
I got CAD$2333 off list for for the Hybrid Limited with Tech Package. Others have done a bit better, and some have done worse. Extra costs were sales taxes, freight, PDI, and the legit fees - OMVIC fee, air conditioning tax, and environmental fee. No bogus admin fee paid.

Note that MSRP in February is now $250 more than when I bought it last month (which is why I didn't post the actual price paid).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.