Trailer Hitch Install Advice - Page 6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My advice? I wouldn't attempt to lift up a trailer by hand with your back to the hitch... especially with gravel or a slick surface under your shoes. If your feet slide forward, you'd know that hitch like you never knew it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:21 PM

I've been MIA for a while but if anyone is around and can answer something right now..please do! I just finished installing my hitch and am about to move onto the 4 way and brake controller. Should I do these at the same time or wait? I'm in a race against time to move out of my house and have 2 hours to complete this job.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd do the 4-way since that'll be pretty straightforward. The brake controller will take more planning and decisions with placement and wire routing. When you run the brake wire be sure an run another wire at the same time for live 12V power to the camper.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
IMO it wouldn't be a good idea to run camper lights off of the Hybrid 12V battery, it's a very small battery, an external 12V would be a better choice for camper lighting, and the 12V battery is under the rear deck next to the spare tire, so it's not necessary to run a 12V line from the front for the T-connector kit.

2016 Hybrid Limited AWD
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
IMO it wouldn't be a good idea to run camper lights off of the Hybrid 12V battery, it's a very small battery, an external 12V would be a better choice for camper lighting, and the 12V battery is under the rear deck next to the spare tire, so it's not necessary to run a 12V line from the front for the T-connector kit.
Yeah, I remembered that as I was typing. The camper needs to get it's power from its own RV battery. Then only be connected to the RAV4 while it's running and powering all its 12V systems.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 AM

Thanks Dyno for the reply! I got it all installed in about 6 hours with two trips to the auto parts store (needed new electrical connections since i couldn't get the wires to stay inside snug). It was also 12 degrees F today...
So assuming a trailer would have it's own battery (No RV involved) would i have a quick connect/disconnect for the battery when the vehicle isnt running?
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Good work - and chilly work!

Camper trailers are in the RV (recreational vehicle) category so the deep cycle 12V batteries typically used in them are known as "RV" batteries. Pretty much all RVs come with a power converter which powers the 12V lights and systems and also charges the battery when plugged into 120V power at a campground or in my backyard.

On the road the RV's battery is maintained by the tow vehicle. But with the hybrid having such a small 12V battery I'd connect the RV-charge wire to a Hot-in-Run circuit instead of the battery. (The taillight converter could still go to the 12V battery.) Would take a little more study to find a circuit capable of 20-30A but would serve as an automatic disconnect.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:04 AM

I'd like to ask another question in regards to Etrailer. They sort of really screwed me! I placed an order on friday and asked to make sure i get it by monday and paid for 2 day shipping. She made a mistake on my zip code and the payment didn't go through. I made calls back and forth between them and the CC company and after 1.5 hours we had it figured out. They replaced my order and had it shipped (all before 5pm that day). On Monday i checked the status and it hadn't even reached my city yet. Apparently it wasnt shipped until monday and I didn't get my package until Wednesday. I complained about the shipping on monday in an email and they refunded my 2 day shipping since it took 4 business days. Now...shipping is free on orders over 100. Mine was $400.
Not only did I not receive the package when I expected, the temperatures went from 40 deg to 10 deg and it was BRUTAL installing my hitch that day. Not only this but the pain involved in having to MOVE in the cold and extra fee's i had to pay my landlord due to the mistake.
I have not spoke with a representative there yet about my further issue. However, I do want to make a concern and I'm curious what the best route would be. Am I expecting too much as a customer? Because I feel like I was royally screwed. I had to also take 2 extra days off of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page