Changing out the 2016 RAV4 Horns - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the reply, I'll try again when it's warmer out. I live in the DC area and of course I tried when cold, when it was in to 30's outside instead of today when it was in the 50's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM

Is the 2017 the same procedure? Thanks It is a limited
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Hi, anyone replaced horn for hybrid version? I tried to do it follow the instruction and picture but unsuccessful. The placement of the screws are different and it doesnt move much after remove those plus headlight's

Thanks for any info/suggestion. Hate those dc beltway drivers and want to give them warnings with hella instead music to their ears. Haha

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM

I'm new to Toyota, got my 2013 Rav4 Limited in Nov 2016 and I immediately thought the claxon sound was a joke.

So now that I replaced the low beam headlights for LEDs, my next project is to change the horns.
I'm glad I found this thread.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:07 PM

Owning a 2017 RAV4 XLE I was a bit embarrassed with the toy like horns! I also purchased a set of El Grande Fiamm 7411 off from EBay for $26.33 shipped. Thanks to the write-up and pictures from rscot01 I was able to complete the job with only one minor setback. Dropped the attaching bolt to the lower horns. That bolt disappeared into the bowels of the vehicle. Under the vehicle I had to remove one large piece of plastic trim, finally located the devil. The difference in the sound is night and day and very much worth the effort.

My many thanks to rscot01 for the write-up and pictures, made the difference.

Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Deputy347k9 For This Useful Post:
rscot01 (02-19-2017)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Owning a 2017 RAV4 XLE I was a bit embarrassed with the toy like horns! I also purchased a set of El Grande Fiamm 7411 off from EBay for $26.33 shipped. Thanks to the write-up and pictures from rscot01 I was able to complete the job with only one minor setback. Dropped the attaching bolt to the lower horns. That bolt disappeared into the bowels of the vehicle. Under the vehicle I had to remove one large piece of plastic trim, finally located the devil. The difference in the sound is night and day and very much worth the effort.

My many thanks to rscot01 for the write-up and pictures, made the difference.

Larry
Welcome to the 'Beep beep no more' club DEPUTY347K9 aka Larry!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Why would Toyota make higher tone horns? Is it cheaper and they are saving money? Do they not have the engineering knowledge to replicate a 1970's Cadillac horn?

The real answer is probably based on physics and human physiology.

Fact 1: sound transducers, which is what a horn is, are more efficient at certain frequencies. As a general rule of thumb, if you have say 10amp wiring dedicated to a horn, a horn transducer tuned to 1000hz will be louder than a horn transducer tuned to 700hz. Lower frequencies require more energy than higher frequencies for the same output. If you are limited to 10amps, you get more sound pressure output if you go with a higher frequency.

Fact 2: Human hearing is more sensitive to higher frequencies, up to a point, when it starts to roll off. If you have two horns, one 700hz and another 1000hz, and they both produce the same sound pressure levels, the 1000hz will appear to be louder to a human ear. That's why if you have a home theater system, at full blast your sub-woofer might require a 500 watt amplifier, and your tweeter will use only 20 watts.

So, the high sounding Toyota horn is beneficial in 2 ways, it generated a higher sound pressure level, and on top of that the perceived loudness of the tone is higher also. The horn is a safety device, not a macho fashion accessory, and I would argue that a Toyota horn is much better at grabbing the attention of other drivers.

2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,371 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVila View Post
Why would Toyota make higher tone horns? Is it cheaper and they are saving money? Do they not have the engineering knowledge to replicate a 1970's Cadillac horn?

The real answer is probably based on physics and human physiology.
You make a good point, but WHY does Toyota put normal horns on the Camry but meep-meep horns on the RAV4?

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
You make a good point, but WHY does Toyota put normal horns on the Camry but meep-meep horns on the RAV4?
I would guess that that is based on what supplier is picked to provide parts for a model vehicle. And the supplier is probably using equipment that is decades old to make such a simple and unchanging part as a horn. And probably the tone of the horn was initially set by various regulations in various markets where the vehicle is exported to.

Are high tone horns that are common on European and Asian vehicles better? I'd say yes. Lower tones travel farther. That's why a ship or a train have a low tone air horn. High pitch tone at short distances is better as it has a higher intensity, but it won't travel miles.

Most situations where a horn is used are very short distance. As the point of the horn is usually to avoid collision. If someone is driving on the highway with the radio on, and starts merging into someone else, a high pitch tone has a better chance to be heard and distinguished over the low frequency highway rumble.

2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Just changed out the horns on my 2017 RAV4 hybrid limited using this post.
Worked great although scary pulling the top of the bumper loose.
Thanks much!

PSILOGENIC
your step by step was spot on for my vehicle!

rscot01
Thanks for starting the post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Justmegee For This Useful Post:
rscot01 (02-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page