Changing out the 2016 RAV4 Horns - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changing out the 2016 RAV4 Horns

Okay, after owning a 2014 Camry, I was pretty disappointed (and embarrassed!) by the OEM horns of my 2016 RAV4 XLE. So after doing a lot of reading on this site, I decided to change them out.

I purchased a set of Fiamm El Grande Horns (Part No. 74100) from Amazon. I knew just from looking that I didnít want to have to remove the entire front-end of the vehicle just to change out the horns. So after doing a bit more reading, I found a thread where someone had simply removed the top fasteners and then, using a couple of 2x4ís, held the bodywork out far enough that he could accomplish the mission. Sounded simple enough to me!

So I removed the six fasters that held the top of the bodywork to the vehicle (as you can see from the picture, I had also previously removed the fasteners that held the trim piece over the radiator, but thereís no need to do that since it accomplishes nothing and doesnít provide any access to the needed area). I also removed the three bolts that hold the top portion of each headlight in place just to loosen up the headlights to make it easier for the bodywork to slide out from under the headlight.

As you can see, I then wedged a couple of pieces of 2x4 in there to make a space large enough for me to get my arms down there to do the necessary work. It was surprisingly easy! One bolt to remove the old horn, pull off the electrical connector, plug the electrical connector back onto the blade of the new horn (it doesn't lock in place as on the OEM horns, but it's a tight enough fit that I don't think it will come off), and bolt the new horn back in place. The center horn is the more difficult simply because itís in the middle of the vehicle and is lower down, but itís easy enough. The top horn is located high on the driverís side and is dead simple. I also didnít use the red plastic piece included with the horns. Itís just decorative and would be facing the radiator anyway, so itís really unnecessary. There was also no need for the included relay.

Iíve included a few sound files so you can hear the before and after differences. Since there is only one of me (unfortunately! ), I was standing behind the driverís door, pushing the horn and holding my phone forward pointed under the hood, so youíre hearing the horn from the back, but you can still tell thereís an obvious difference between the OEM horns and the Fiamm El Grande horns.

So all in all, this was a very simple mod, much easier than I thought it was going to be considering that apparently some people have removed the entire front fascia just to swap out the horns! I highly recommend it! Here in Tex-Ass, all drivers are extremely courteous and generous toward all others, drivers and pedestrians alike, so there's very little need to actually use the horn for anything other than shooing away the occasional deer standing on the side of the road gazing all doey-eyed at the passing vehicles, but should the need arise, it is nice to have horns that are considerably more substantial sounding than the meep-meep horns provided by our favorite vehicle manufacturer!

Fiamm El Grande Horns.jpg

Remove these six fasteners (and three top bolts for the headlights):

Bodywork held out by 2x4s 2.jpg

2x4's holding bodywork out for easy access:

Bodywork held out by 2x4s 1.jpg

OEM Horns (factory marked with orange dot):

Original OEM Horns.jpg

Fiamm El Grande Horns installed:

Replacement Horns Installed.jpg

OEM Horns:

Before 01.mp3

Before 02.mp3

Fiamm El Grande Horns:

After 01.mp3

After 02.mp3

Hope this information helps!!! C ya!

Ron
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rscot01 For This Useful Post:
blueumbrella (07-19-2016), Butts (06-30-2016), Clarinet (02-21-2017), docjj (06-30-2016), JuneBug (06-30-2016), Justmegee (02-19-2017), KJPAT08 (02-12-2017), mojoe (02-23-2017), sparky52 (10-11-2016), Thegladtidings (03-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Seems like a great Mod!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetsetben For This Useful Post:
rscot01 (06-30-2016)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM

I just now did this to my 2016 Rav4 xle.
It's really simple, without needing to stress the plastics in the bumper with wood.

There are 5 clip/bumper screws and bolts in the front center of the bumper just under the hood. Remove them.
Next there are 2 screw bolts on either side of the wheel well. 1 under the bumper parellel to the ground and 1 just up on the underside of the wheel well, above a small flat head plastic screw release clip. It turns 90į left just once to unlock.
Once all screws, clips and bolts are removed, you can gently pull the bumper along the seam under the headlights until the parts release.
When the bumper seams are released, you can gently pull the front top where the 1st 5 screws were removed until the bumper pops off its mounts. You can let it just rest where it stops and you will have a good 8 inches to easily work on the horns.

I installed the same horns that the original poster recomendations and they fit perfectly.
All you do is unclipped the blade plug from the exsiting horn and remove it saving the bolt. The new horns both have the same blade plug so just plug in the new ones and attach them just as the old ones were attached.

Once the horns are securely fastened, you can move the bumper into place again and snap the seams together again.
Screw it all back together as you took it apart and enjoy not being ignored in traffic anymore.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PSILOGENIC For This Useful Post:
blueumbrella (07-19-2016), Clarinet (02-21-2017), Justmegee (02-19-2017), sparky52 (10-11-2016), toyto44 (07-30-2016)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I actually did remove the fasteners from the wheel well, as you described, along with the indicated fasteners on the top, but wasn't able to get the front fascia to move out of the way. Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough (or "gently" enough, as it were!). Either way, since a 2x4 is only 3-1/2" wide, it certainly didn't put much stress on the plastic and still provided plenty of room to change out the horns, even the one in the center, and was, IMHO, the easier solution. Regardless, either way, it's a pretty easy mod to undertake!
The Following User Says Thank You to rscot01 For This Useful Post:
Clarinet (02-21-2017)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 PM

I put a set of Hella Supertones on our Outback...looking at the same for our new RAV....
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:28 PM

I'm rethinking my first purchase and I might get some of those too.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSILOGENIC View Post
I just now did this to my 2016 Rav4 xle.
It's really simple, without needing to stress the plastics in the bumper with wood.

There are 5 clip/bumper screws and bolts in the front center of the bumper just under the hood. Remove them.
Next there are 2 screw bolts on either side of the wheel well. 1 under the bumper parellel to the ground and 1 just up on the underside of the wheel well, above a small flat head plastic screw release clip. It turns 90į left just once to unlock.
Once all screws, clips and bolts are removed, you can gently pull the bumper along the seam under the headlights until the parts release.
When the bumper seams are released, you can gently pull the front top where the 1st 5 screws were removed until the bumper pops off its mounts. You can let it just rest where it stops and you will have a good 8 inches to easily work on the horns.

I installed the same horns that the original poster recomendations and they fit perfectly.
All you do is unclipped the blade plug from the exsiting horn and remove it saving the bolt. The new horns both have the same blade plug so just plug in the new ones and attach them just as the old ones were attached.

Once the horns are securely fastened, you can move the bumper into place again and snap the seams together again.
Screw it all back together as you took it apart and enjoy not being ignored in traffic anymore.
PSILOGENIC, would it be possible for you to take photos of the connectors/bolts on the side of the wheel well and the one under the bumper parellel to the ground and the one up on the underside of the wheel well? No trouble finding the correct connectors on the top of the grill assembly but I want to be certain of the ones underneath. I like you system to move this assembly out to install replacement Camry horns. thanks.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Easy install, thanks for the How To.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsman For This Useful Post:
rscot01 (10-02-2016)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Maybe because it's winter and the plastic is little stiffer, but I'm having a tough time pulling the bumper even with all the screws off including the side off. Where did you grab the bumper first to loosen the side or even enough to slide in the 2x4? Maybe I'm being a little timid of cracking the bumper, but I can only seem to make a 2 inch space.

Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodro View Post
Maybe because it's winter and the plastic is little stiffer, but I'm having a tough time pulling the bumper even with all the screws off including the side off. Where did you grab the bumper first to loosen the side or even enough to slide in the 2x4? Maybe I'm being a little timid of cracking the bumper, but I can only seem to make a 2 inch space.

Thanks for your help.
Howdy! You don't say where you're located, but if it's that cold, I would wait until it warms up. You do not have to loosen the side (near the wheel well) at all, just remove the indicated screws and pull toward you and you should easily be able to get enough room to insert the 2x4s as shown in the pictures I posted. The plastic is strong and flexible enough that you shouldn't have any problem with it, so don't worry about cracking it (unless, I guess, if it's freezing cold when you're trying it!).

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page