Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Poor Headlight Illumination

14K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Butts 
#1 ·
So I was browsing the web and I came across a test that IIHS conducted. I assume that our Rav's headlights have marginal side lighting down the road. I'm thinking, would getting LED conversions or HIDS help? I wanna hear everyone's opinion on this!

Most small SUV headlights rate poor

#2 ·
I'm very interested in this as well. I've been researching LED and leaning towards same with a canbus kit to allow the DRL function. So many brands to choose from of what appear to be varying quality...I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Has anyone installed LED conversion kits?

#3 ·
There's a thread here on the 4.4 forum somewhere, someone upgraded to LED headlights, but since the lamp faces sideways in the housing, the light output was disappointing. Also, in DRL mode, the LEDs were flickering. I think the person eventually returned the LEDs and put everything back the way it was.

#5 ·
This. There's no question LED lights from the factory is better. But light output from the standard Halogens is more than adequate. It's certainly significantly better than my older RAV4 and Camry.

If you think your lamps' performance is lacking either there is something wrong with it or your expectations may be a little too high.

#8 ·
#18 ·

I'm not sure how the LED lights in front progressed, but aren't the daytime running lights on the newer Rav's LED's? I see some out on the road with LED's on during the day. My 2014 looks as if it has a quadrant of LED's, but that portion of the light assembly doesn't even come on. Am I right on this? Can my 2014 be retrofitted or does it take a whole new $$$$$ headlight assembly?

#22 ·
karl2010m,
It's a month since you did your LED headlight upgrade. How is it working out? Any problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.